Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

Washing 45 years of dirt off a 1963.5

4K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  jrdufresne 
#1 ·
Purchased this from my father in law, says it's been sitting in the garage waiting for an engine since 1975, still need a much deeper clean, get the mouse nests out and replace all fabric...damn mice.

See less See more
#11 ·
The reason that 1963 VIN decoders have problems with Body 63C is the same reason it gets its 1963 1/2 status - when the 1963 model year cars were presented to the public for sale in late September/early October, 1962 the "fastback" which Ford called Sports Hardtop, didn't exist, nor did the 427 cubic inch engine. In a letter to be released on January 9, 1963, Ford announced several "and a half" models including among others, the Galaxie fastback, the 427 engine, the Falcon Sprint, and the 4 speed Hi-Po 289 Fairlane. To decode the 63.5 you have to use some of the information from 1964 model books as the 63Cs were in the regular line-up by then. I hope this makes sense.

#12 ·
635Rangoon427 is right on. I've learned over time that my December 1962 build SQUARE BACK 63 is different in many ways to your 63 1/2 Fastback. I have a good friend with a 63 1/2 Fastback and parked next to each other at the donut shop we have taken measurements. ---- From doorsill to roof the Fastback is lower. To make it sleeker for NASCAR competition. I believe because of that, the windshields are a different code. Also to make up for the lost headroom with the lower Fastback roofline Ford lowered the bench seat seat bracket legs almost 2 inches. I found that out when I found a great clean set of 63 bench seat brackets on Ebay. When they came the bracket legs were 2 inches shorter than my originals. Further research indicated the brackets were actually out of a 63 1/2. I don't know what they did for bucket seats. ---- Just a tip, whenever you order glass/rubber of any kind, you need to use your cars body code or you may get glass that looks like it should fit but wont. 63's have about 4 different windshields.

#15 ·
Interesting about the set mounts - I have a 63.5 XL and I cannot fit into the car without my head touching the headlining and the bucket seat barely goes back far enough to sit comfortably. I'm 6'2" so tall but not excessively so.

I would love to know if a PO put in seat mounts to fit a 63 box-top maybe?

#17 · (Edited)
Hi Jiffy ------- Being an even taller "6-7" guy than you, I understand immensely how frustrating fit can be. I will try and post a couple of pictures that may help you with what I've done or learned . The first under seat picture shows my stock SQUARE BACK brackets. Notice they have a high 2 inch pedestal. If you look under your bench seat and see this 2 inch pedestal, then you do have the higher Square Back bench seat brackets. ---- The second picture shows 2 things. First it shows you a 63.5 two inch lower bracket I bought. Notice it does not have a high pedestal. Its 2 inches lower but everything else is the same. The second thing that picture shows is the 1/8 inch steel plate I fabricated. I bolted it directly to the floor using the two existing seat bracket floor bolts. Then, that allowed me to mount my original seat brackets on both sides about 4 inches further back on that plate, giving me tons more leg room. Increased my ease of entry into the car also. The seat still slides back and forth with ease just like it use to, but the starting point is just 4 inches to the rear. ---- With my square back roof room, that worked so well for me that I just kept using my original higher brackets. I still have the 63.5 lower brackets in my shop. Hope this helps you some. FordWilly
Floor Red Flooring Carpet Pink

#18 ·
So far i picked up a 65 marauder with a 390 that i will be stealing the engine from and going into the galaxie hopefully this weekend, then looking at a Wilwood front disc kit, (and rear if they make it). Long term plans include airlift suspension and a staggered setup. I get a lot of inspiration from Black Beauty: Mark Stuchel’s 1963 1/2 Ford Galaxie – Slam'd Mag

Dad wants me to tub the car and throw on a big ass set of tires, i already have a fast car, don't need another.

#19 ·
So - interesting adaptation with those brackets - I need something like that for my car I think.

HEre's a couple of pics of my bucket seat brackets - they're not quite as high as the ones under your original seat, but the seat frame now pretty much sits on the floor so I don't know if it can go as low as yours, but it would be good to have it go further back!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.