Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I noticed after some hard rain we had the other day that my front carpet was wet, and when I drove it, water was dripping on my right foot. So I had my wife spray down the cowl area while I climbed under the dash with a flashlight. It appears that water is leaking in around my wiper motor. Has anyone had this problem and if so, what did you do to fix it? Will I have to remove the wiper motor?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks FE. Upon closer inspection it appears that water is leaking in through where the main "stud" that moves back and fourth to power the wipers sticks through the cowl. Because when I reach my finger around over the top, water is puddled on the top of it too. Is there a round gasket or something that seals that up? And also, to drop the motor from under the dash, do I have to loosen the four screws that are accessible from the outside when you remove the cowl? Or can I somehow drop it from the inside without having the remove the cowl?

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Hate to tell you this but you will have to remove the cowl cover and the linkage and then the four screws. When you pull the motor out you will see the rubber gasket and the body calking compound ( dum-dum). Make sure the rubber gasket is good and then add some new dum-dum.

·
Administrator
21,676 Posts
He still needs to remove the cowl cover to remove the linkage before he can remove the wiper tranny/motor it's just like the '64 and it's the gasket behind or where the motor shaft comes through gary.

Do you know how to remove the wiper Mike? Just in case, if you pull the wiper arm up you will see a little clip in the hollow of the base of the wiper arm under at the edge of the part that goes over the post, use a narrow flat tip screwdriver and push in then down on the clip to get it out and then you can get the wiper arm off. It is a V shaped springy clip like doodad. Probably have to jiggle the wiper base around a bit and pull straight up usually to get them to come off. Other times they just come right off.

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
That's generally why you post about Galaxies in the Galaxie section of the forums :)

·
Registered
960 Posts
When I converted a 64 custom to 2 speed wipers I was able to locate a NOS seal but that was back in the mid 90s,you might want to check with the parts vendors and see if anyone reproduces that seal.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info guys. I was afraid I was going to have to remove the cowel. But no big deal really. I've had it off before. Just have to find that seal now. I believe I saw one in a Dennis Carpenter catalog. I'll have to find one laying around here and check.

·
Administrator
21,676 Posts
That's generally why you post about Galaxies in the Galaxie section of the forums :)
Good one Dan! LOL
That's what he gets for clicking on "New Posts" instead of going to each forum section, he gets confused!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts