Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a waterpump to fit a Ford 347 stroker engine (1986) where the outlet comes out on the passenger side (left hand side as you look at the engine from the front. I'm British and don't want to confuse anyone!!!)? I currently have a Rover (Buick) engine in the Cobra and the pump on that has the output to the radiator on the side I want. Problem is that looking at most pumps to fit a Ford, its on the other side, which means a new radiator. If I can get away without that expense I would be happy!!

Thanks

Martin<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Not sure but, I think they changed in 69 or 70 so a 68 would work for you if you have the same timing cover to match. Check on Summit Racing and you should find the description of the pump you need.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
The simpliest solution would be to just have a rad. shop switch the outlet of your rad. to the other side, rather than replace your water pump.
Local shop flipped my bottom rad hose for 20 bucks which allowed me to use the stock bottom hose too

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hi

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a waterpump to fit a Ford 347 stroker engine (1986) where the outlet comes out on the passenger side (left hand side as you look at the engine from the front. I'm British and don't want to confuse anyone!!!)? I currently have a Rover (Buick) engine in the Cobra and the pump on that has the output to the radiator on the side I want. Problem is that looking at most pumps to fit a Ford, its on the other side, which means a new radiator. If I can get away without that expense I would be happy!!

Thanks

Martin<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
The water pump for a 1966-1977 bronco with a 289-302 should be what you are looking for.

The

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
it all depends on the pullies you are running and if the motor uses the 28oz balance or 50oz. 4 or 3 bolt crank pully.
water pulley maybe , damper -no .whats the damper have to do with a water pump ?

early pumps are V belt driven and need the timing cover to match pump

spacers/shims for pump or damper pulleys might be needed for belt alignment

·
Registered
674 Posts
water pulley maybe , damper -no .whats the damper have to do with a water pump ?

early pumps are V belt driven and need the timing cover to match pump

spacers/shims for pump or damper pulleys might be needed for belt alignment
If your refering to standard and reverse rotation pumps. Grand Marquis and Crown vics used poly belts and standard rotation untill they droped 302s

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
If your refering to standard and reverse rotation pumps. Grand Marquis and Crown vics used poly belts and standard rotation untill they droped 302s
OP wants right side pump inlet . those car are not in the picture .

op didnt state what type of belt drives the pump on the engine he has now

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
As I remember, this is an EFI to CARB reversion. All of this info (WP/FRONT COVER/PULLEYS) can be found in the FRP catalog along with the correct parts.

·
Registered
674 Posts
OP wants right side pump inlet . those car are not in the picture .

op didnt state what type of belt drives the pump on the engine he has now
The fead might be usable though. As for the passenger side inlet think they went out the window as vehicles converted to cross flow radiators. Trucks maintained top flow the longest. Stuart water pumps still offer both driver and passenger inlets I believe.
Have also used a couple 90 ish elbows and some exhaust pipe to run to the other end of the radiator.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
FORD had a big redesign in 1970 including the balancer and drive pulley.

Now you should know that. You just had a momentary brain fart and forgot to correct yourself later maybe.

EDIT-

mumbles,

You might want to not read below this line as it is not in;

:bicker:MY OWN WORDS :bicker:

This is the easiest and most concise way to explain it as it is confusing-

Ford Small Block Water Pumps, Radiators and Cooling System

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
FORD had a big redesign in 1970 including the balancer and drive pulley.

Now you should know that. You just had a momentary brain fart and forgot to correct yourself later maybe.

EDIT-

mumbles,

You might want to not read below this line as it is not in;

:bicker:MY OWN WORDS :bicker:

This is the easiest and most concise way to explain it as it is confusing-

Ford Small Block Water Pumps, Radiators and Cooling System
klutz to show that your just a moron , tell what the damper has to do with the waterpump .

klutz ,just one more thing your not able to understand

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
klutz to show that your just a moron , tell what the damper has to do with the waterpump .

klutz ,just one more thing your not able to understand
I don't have the accreditation here yet to present that information. The info is generally known to most SBF enthusiasts.

I do not have the time nor desire to tutor slow learners.

BTW- I see your communicating skills with the outside world is improving.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
I don't have the accreditation here yet to present that information. The info is generally known to most SBF enthusiasts.

I do not have the time nor desire to tutor slow learners.

BTW- I see your communicating skills with the outside world is improving.
klutz , you disire not to tutor slow learners , I understand and agree it should be keep that way .. Kluts , stay with the dead people , they won't know you have no idea of the subject .

btw Klutz , I knew you would never be able answer the question

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
klutz , you disire to not tutor slow learners , I understand and agree it should be keep that way ..
I am glad you understand. So I don't have to try and explain to you the major change in 1970? You and GOOGLE have become one?

mumbles further spits said:
Kluts , stay with the dead people , they won't know you have no idea of the subject .
The walking dead are better able to communicate with others better than your are able to (KULTULZ removing sputum mask).

Your point? :confused:

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
I am glad you understand. So I don't have to try and explain to you the major change in 1970? You and GOOGLE have become one?

The walking dead are better able to communicate with others better than your are able to (KULTULZ removing sputum mask).

Your point? :confused:
My point , your a moron klutz and will always be one .

all others , a 4 bolt damper with a 4 bolt pulley can drive an early water pump

plus a 3 bolt (get this) damper with a SB chevy pattern can also .

a sbc bolt patern on a Ford damper ! sorry , but its true

klutz , just one more thing you'll never understand

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
klutz , just one more thing you'll never understand
Very true. I will never understand people (?) like yourself that have difficulty (speech/typing impediments) trying to express themselves in some type of comprehensible manner.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Very true. I will never understand people (?) like yourself that have difficulty (speech/typing impediments) trying to express themselves in some type of comprehensible manner.
klutz , first you have to know the difference between auto tech and a rock .

then the real problem with you klutz , you have no understanding what is a rock . that leaves auto tech out of range of understanding .

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
klutz , first you have to know the difference between auto tech and a rock .

then the real problem with you klutz , you have no understanding what is a rock . that leaves auto tech out of range of understanding .
There is a perfect example of a rock right here on this forum, your head...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts