Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 1978 302 that needs pulleys. The engine is complete with the exception of the pulleys. It will not have AC or power steering and need the basic pulley set up. I have no idea what type of water pump is on the motor (standard or reverse rotation). Is there a easy way to determine the WP rotation? and does anybody have any ideas on where I can get the pulleys

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
It's a standard rotation. Check local junk yards for the pulleys you need. Crank is a 4 bolt hole. You'll also need a spacer for the waterpump pulley and fan depending on how far away the radiator is.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Try and get all the pullys off one engine if you are going for used. I have 5 pullys left over from the last project, all just a little off, should have bought the matching new ones from the start for $30-40 each. I got mine from Dallas Mustang. I also suggest that if this is an early car that you use the same period type pully set up. Mixing years could lead to other problems.

On the reverse thing: I used the march pulley kit with the reverse w/p on a 351, it worked great, but was expensive and does not look at all stock.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts