Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all!

My wife just inherited her grandfather's 1964 500 XL Conv. We have other classic cars but now we need to learn the good places for sourcing quality Galaxie parts. The first specific thing we are needing is a new boot that covers the convertible top when it's down. Is there any brand you guys recommend on those type parts? Also, any advice on Galaxie part sites you recommend or try to avoid would be amazing.

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Wow, beautiful car - if it still looks like that, I can't imagine it needs a whole lot. Check out Dearborn Classics (aka Mac's), Autokrafters, Stock Interiors for carpet, Rhino Fabrication for dash pads, Dennis Carpenter, and Bud's Classic Car. I'm sure others will remember some I've forgot.

Pat

·
Registered
122 Posts
+1 starting with Bud's Classic and Dennis Carpenter and congrats. If originality is as important to you as it is to me, two publications are a must: OEM Ford and Mercury Factory Service Manual (i.e., 'full-sized') and the Ford 60-64 Parts and Accessories Catalog. The latter is someting like 2,000 pages, not cheap and can be a bit of a challenge to navigate, but satisfying when you identify the correct part with the best chance of fitting. FSMs are out there in hardcopy and in electronic format.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Totally agree with 1964 Fastback and pkevins choices for parts plus one more: C & G Early Ford Parts of Escondido, CA. Also agree with pkevins comments on getting the factory service manual and the '60 - '64 Parts and Accessories books. I like having the paper version myself. You get two books which include all the Ford model cars built between 1960 and 1964 (Galaxie, Falcon, Thunderbird, and Fairlane) the first one is an Illustrated Parts Breakdown (IPB) of most every part made/used along with the central part of each part number matched to the picture. The second book is a text matched to the first book with the rest of the information needed to complete the part number plus other useful information. If you are happier getting this information off of a computer there is a (much cheaper) disc of all this available from most of the retailers listed above. Good luck with your new acquisition.

·
Registered
285 Posts
When I wrote my reply above I forgot to mention another hugely useful tool, the Jim Osborn Reproductions model year Ford assembly manuals which in some ways are better than the Parts and Accessories manual mentioned above. The diagrams are much better and the whole part number is given, and the price of each manual will be much cheaper, but unfortunately, some systems you might want for your model year may not be covered in the available manuals. Sometimes the model year on either side of yours may be fine, or the system may be covered in one of the other books. I'll attach an example for you to see what I mean as regards to usefulness. This has to do with 1963 390 engines with power steering and air conditioning, but would probably be right for your 1964 as well. Hope this helps.
Scan 1.jpeg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all... that was the exact info I was hoping for.

We drove the car for the first time tonight and discovered our first issue. Once it got dark enough, I noticed that the "Gen" light is on so tomorrow I'll get a meter out and dive into that.

Also, the brakes are SUPER spongy. I checked the fluid and it is full but it's definitley time for a flush and bleed at the minimum.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
29 Posts
1963/64 only budsclassiccars.com, Cgfordparts.com, dearbornclassics.com, macsautoparts.com, autokrafters.com, dennis-carpenter.com, millerobsoleteparts.net, melvinsclassicfordparts.com, concoursparts.com, classicautoparts.com, www.kanter.com, www.carid.com, p-s-t.com, rockauto.com, classiccardashes.com, rareparts.com, greensalescompany.com, restorationpartssource.com, www.restorationspecialties.com
www.burtonantiqueautoparts.com

Sams Vintage Ford Parts +1 303-295-1709

Fasteners, screws, plugs, grommets, rechromed parts, repairing plastic parts:
www.mrgusa.com
Www.auveco.com

Rechroming plastic parts: Restoration | Vacuum Orna-Metal

Used parts: Russ Owens [email protected].

Non-Retractable 2 Point Lap Seat Belts | SeatbeltPlanet/

Additional Links: Vintage Part Source Antique and Vintage Ford Parts

Used 63-64 Galaxie Parts

Todd at All American Classics 1-360-254-8850, Classic Car Parts Used & NOS | Project Cars | All American Classics/

Stan The Ford Man 1-360-687-1216, Lee Stiltner 1-360-269-6655, 64galaxie.com,
1957 to 1972 parts, Steve or son Ben at 1-928-681-3499 or e-mail [email protected] Note: put galaxie parts in subject title or email will not be opened.
63 parts Eric Johnson in Lake Stevens, Wa. 425-238-5088

Paper, tags, plates:

Marti Auto Works - Concourse Quality, Hobbyist Price/

Tags Backeast, Trim Tags Backeast, Data Plates, A.G.Backeast. We make tags for AMC, Buick, Cadillac, Camaro, Chevelle, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Corvette, Dodge, DeSoto, Edsel, Ford, Frazer, La Salle, Henry J, Kaiser, Lincoln, Mercury, Mustang, Oldsmobile, Plymouth, Pontiac, Shelby, Thunderbirds and trucks. Our work is on numerous national prize winners and magazine feature cars: The entire Fomoco family, including trucks, from 1949 to 1969; G.M. cars back to 1928; Mopars of the 50's to 70's and orphans such as AMC, Kaiser - Frazer, and Henry J.

http://osborn-reproduction.com

www.convertibletopguys.com/
FORD CONVERTIBLE TOPS

Interiors

SMS Auto Fabrics - The Largest Selection of Classic Auto Interiors/
Reproduction Galaxie Parts

Ford transmission rebuilding:

Broader Transmissions, Jay 817-599-9400

Hood hinge rebuilding

www.sms-auto.com

HoodHingeRepair.com – Classic and muscle car hood hinges repaired to better than factory original

Front end rebuild kits

Front End Rebuild Kits - Complete - Ford - Page 1 - www.a-resto-parts.com

1 - 7 of 7 Posts