Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it's the thermostat but let me tell you the problem. I started a new job and I have to be there at 4:30 in the morning or so. When I am driving to work the temperature gauge goes all the way to the edge and only comes down when I am at a red light and my oil pressure stays high. In the afternoon when I go home things are just fine. What's up with that?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
A calapsed hose is hard to catch in action. When you stop the car and get out, by the time you get to it it's fine. Check the lower hose and make sure the spring is still located in the center of the hose. I had a water pump try to suck up the spring once.

If the hose seems ok then go after the thermo. It's easy to change and cheap insurance.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I have seen the same thing happen when there is a bad ground to the dash.
In the morning on your way to work are the lights on?
On your way home try turning on the lights and see if the temp goes up with the light on. If it goes up turn off the lights it should go back to normal.

It took me a long time to solve the same symptom you described in my van. It would only heat up when I had the lights on. But it never seemed hot. The gauge would slowly go up to hot but the motor was not.

It could be that the only ground the dash cluster is getting is the Speedo cable.

It’s a long shot just me 2 cents.

·
Registered
7,506 Posts
On 2002-07-05 18:14, Otto wrote:
When I am driving to work the temperature gauge goes all the way to the edge and only comes down when I am at a red light and my oil pressure stays high. In the afternoon when I go home things are just fine. What's up with that?
I had a similar problem... Turned out, I plugged the electric fan in backwards! It was pushing the air out the FRONT of the radiator... so the air trying to flow through the grill WHILE THE CAR WAS MOVING was just being offset by the fan. This caused zero airflow through the radiator while moving. Once stopped, it did okay.

You said the car does fine on the way home, so this -probably- isn't the problem, but might be worth a check.

Good Luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.