Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I broke in a new cam a few days ago and I started having some white goo coming out of the back of the engine. I thought at first it was water in the oil as it was burning on the headers, but I drained the oil and it was all oil and no water. I put in shell rotella T, comp break in additive, and I used the red cam grease comp sends with their cams. I don't think I wiped a lobe or anything as all adjustemts were good when I checked them today. But in the valve covers is a white substance that looks sort of like water and oil mixed, but doesn't smell like water and oil. Is this the break in additive? I know I need to redo the intake because the back leaks oil. The oil pressure was adequate, just not sure whats going on.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Hmmm... Still could have been water... intake may have pissed a tiny bit when you broke in the cam... Is it really humid there at the moment?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
White + oil = water....

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
must be the intake, i'll redo it.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cleaned everything out, wasn't too much white junk everywhere. Ran the engine for a while after I reinstalled the intake and there is no more water. Engine runs pretty decent now, lost just a little bit of bottom end but picked up a good amount in the mid and upper ranges to make up for it.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Ive read something about edlebrock intakes, (air gap) and felpro 1250 gaskets being a bad combination. It concerns the water passeges not lining up correctly.
Whats a bummer for me is that when i finally fire my setup ill probably have the same issue as i have that combo (Edle Air gap/Felpro.)

Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
I have an Air-Gap on my 331 with 1250 gaskets. I just completed a cam swap and didn't see any evidence of the water passages not lining up. I bought another set of 1250 gaskets and fired it up with the new cam today and it all looks fine.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
i believe it was ckelly who documented the AirGap/felpro problem on his website. I could be wrong though.

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
On 2006-12-16 19:35, thekingofazle wrote:
i believe it was ckelly who documented the AirGap/felpro problem on his website. I could be wrong though.
I remember that. I think that had to do with the GT-40 heads.

·
Registered
157 Posts
did you use the comp cams engine assy grease on the bearings? i recall that being a white grease like substance. i used it before and saw similar results in the oil. it works well for initial start up/break-in but change oil immediately and don't use too much of it....unlike the comp cams red goo you put on the cam lobes, can't get enought of that. ciao.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts