Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright i got my maverick it is a 1974 maverick 2 door,i sadly am not gonna do the 428cj like i want so me and my dad are gonna stroke a 351w to a 408 and wanted to know where i can headers,motor mounts and and oil pan fo this,also i need a new dash pad so if anyone knows where ican get this stuff please help.

Thanks J.D.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Congrats... That's a lot of motor for such a light car. Also, there is a Maverick Comet forum that will probably get you answered a lot quicker... Just sign on and lob the same question out there.

http://www.maverick.to/mmb/ Really cool informative forum with folks with a lot of exp.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
You're not going to find headers to fit a 351w in a Maverick. Wait...I lied, you'll have to make them! Been there, done that. Topic has been covered a thousand times or more at the link above.

Pan is just a normal front sump 351w pan. Dash pads are available from AutoKrafters among other places. Mounts are 302 mounts. They'll work fine with a windsor as well. Good luck with the headers though. Some have made 6208's work with mods. Others have made their own (like me) and a few more have done a Mustang 2 front suspension (like me).

Good to see another Maverick fan here! I've had dozens of them..rangine from a 69.5 parts car to the one I have now, which is a '75 2 door bracket racer...even had a '74 like yours with a turbocharged 302 that I prowled the streets with a few years ago. Traded it to my brother for a '84 Mustang coupe which I still have and he sold it to someone up in north Arkansas who wanted to make a father-son project out of. The guy who bought it STOLE it. He gave my brother $1000 for it & trailererd it home. Had a good 289 in it, weld prostars all the way around, it was lowered 2" all the way around, had one of my famous X pipes on it with Hooker aerochambers, etc. Interior has been completely re-done right down to the console and FOX mustang buckets. It was a beautiful car that needed paint...wish I had kept it now. LIve & learn.

I'm working on my '75 as we speak...got the motor out & trying to figure out an oil pressure issue. I also am going to paint it this year...it's been yellow for 15 years and it's time for a change. Haven't nailed down a paint scheme yet, but I like a dark deep metallic blue with some kind of accent stripe(s) to break it up. Got the idea from a Roush Mustang I saw today.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i AM RUNNING A 351W IN MY 71 MAVERICK. i FOUND A COMPANY CALLED TUBULAR AUTOMOTIVE OUT OF MASS. THEY HAVE THEM PN#ES-9 THE ONLY THING IS THAT YOU HAVE TO USE EARLY MUSTANG STYLE MOTOR MOUNTS(FOUND OUT THE HARD WAY) THIS MOVES THE ENGINE BACK ABOUT 1 1/2 INCHES. . IF YOU DONT THE #6 TUBE HITS THE PITMAN ARM AND YOU CANNOT STEER LEFT. AND THEY FIT WITHOUT TOUCHING THE TOWERS

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Don't let FE see your post "Sicko". He'll have ya for using capital letters! LOL.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Tubular Automotive is a good company w/good products.(781-878-9875)My Mav is a BBF 466c.i. I bought my Headers from them. They are for a 67/70 Mustang w/BB 460. Fit like a Glove. And yes i still have my shock towers, they've just been shaved a little bit.

·
Registered
28 Posts
my brother has been using a set of headmans for a 351 in a 66 mustang in his 73 maverick.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The Tubulars and Hedmans are 1.5" primary tubes.
That is a bit small for a 351, and downright tiny for a 408!

Crites Restorations makes a 1.75" header that would be much more fitting for the cubic inches.
Hooker also makes a big tube header for Windsors in a 65-66 Stang that can be fitted to a Maverick with a little tweaking. Part number 6208.

·
Registered
9 Posts
BTW: Was your car originally a v8 car?
If so, all of the mounting stuff and tranny will work fine.
A car front sump pan for a W is all you need for the engine itself.
The mounts, pulleys, tranny parts, accessories, etc... for a 302 will swap right to a 351w. They will swap to a Cleveland too, for that matter. I did the Cleveland swap on my 75. Used Tubular headers for that, however, they are big tubes for the Cleveland. It's exhaust ports don't exit into the shock towers, so the swap is a little easier and the tubes can be much bigger. Just don't plan on changing the plugs unless you shave the towers.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
it was a i6,but had a 302 swapped in then i got it with no motor or trans,
we do plan on shaving the shock towers as much as needed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
dude i just got me an old 1975 maverick it was my friends i payed him 45 its a junk car and yes im only 15 years old but im making it into a racecar so wat am il look in at, hes got everthing excecpt the aftermarket parts i got to buy them so yea

1 - 16 of 16 Posts