Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talk about back road hill billys and rednecks! Went there Sat night and the fastest car was a white '66 Comet full tube chassis with 1 seat, fiberglass front end, hood, rear deck, bumpers, doors, and no dash. 9.75 and everybody thought he was god. Many full tube fram chassis Camaros of all year('67-'80s) and they ran 12s to mid 10s. Some nice cars were there but totally screwed up combinations like converters way too tight(most common problem I saw) and carbs too small. 600 vacuum Holleys on 13 and 12 second big blocks(Ford and Chevy). Maybe 150 cars there racing and most of the people looked like hillbillys and spoke "hillbilly" and "redneck" language. It will be easy for me and JunkYardDog to take that place by storm. It's home of the "IHRA Alien Nationals" and there is no teck inspection and many cars had passengers while racing. Looks like I will be able to make some passes before I put a cage in my Falcon. My dad is now wanting me to quickly finish the Pinto wagon so he can race there. Only a few cars had mufflers and almost all the slow cars(13 seconds and up) had bid tall monster slicks on the back and sounded like stock engines with open manifolds. I have never seen this kind of congregation before. Ricers with huge wings running 15-19 second quarters and some had nitrous. Had 2 cars from Albuquerque that cam with us that at least had most of the field covered. 11.30s from the silver '91 or '92 LX with centrifugal blown 347 on nitrous and 12s from the street tire 2001 supercharged Cobra. Traction seemed pretty good and big airliner jets parked around the strip up close. The bracket racers didn't seem to be able to run their dial ins(either broke out or run such slower) and reaction times sucked for the most part. Looks like I will take something down there to run the money brackets with until the Falcon is done. This must be one of the last out in the middle of nowhere country hick redneck track left. NO TECH! 2 small grand stands about 6 seats high and 30' long(1 on each side). No concession stand, no bathrooms(just out houses), no fuel, no water, & no scale. You can stand right up against the cement guard rails while aces happen and be in/near the burn out box. The transbrake cars seemed to have the same problem.... go up against the brake and get a good stall, launch hard, and then the converter drags down in RPMs(after launch) and the car has to run down the track without much power until the engine reaches the RPM range where it makes power again. They have a quick 16 street car shootout next Saturday and have test & tune on Saturday nights(started this year since they just installed lights for night racing) along with some brackets. Sundays is a regular full divided brackets. There were 3 junior dragsters there too that were running 16-19 second 1/8 miles ETs with MPH between 40-58MPH. My daughter had a blast the whole time and was no afraid of the load exhaust, Pointing at the race cars as they raced. My wife liked it too and want's me to get my car running after hearing the comments and reactions of the crowd every time a 10 second or quicker car raced. She is into it now(cars always look and seem quicker at night compared to the daytime). I love night time racing and now have a cool place to race that's 2 1/2 hours away. If you got a 9 or 8 second car with no roll cage, overflow can, bald front tires with cords showing, no seat belts, wife and kid in the car, then run it there! They'll let you(I would never do that or promote such a thing but I saw this stuff with my own eyes. It really was funny to see all of what I saw. Run what ya brung!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 89 coupe on 3/26/02 3:46am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
That 2 1/2 hour drive is a bear... compared to what you're used to! Guess next time I come through to Durango I need to bring"the toy", should scare the poop out of them with the fogger! Guess mid 8's with a tag & mufflers gets me in on the fun too! We have some new rules at out hillbilly track too. BTW There's still a ton of tracks like that around here, although they're dying out slowly.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
So, did they have any funny looking green men running around selling UFO tee-shirts?I would be afraid to race there if there is no tech and total disregard for safety.Do they have an ambulance or just perhaps a 1976 Gremlin wagon with a K Mart rotating beacon on top? Oh yeah,real red necks drive 4 wheel drive pick'em ups.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Kent, as a "red-neck hillbilly" from S.E. Ky, I want you to know how much I "appreciate" your diatribe against those folks with whom you raced this weekend. I'm sure you'll thoroughly enjoy beating the socks off those poor, ignorant, bunch of folks out trying to have a fun night of racing like you and your daughter. If the track sucks so bad, race some place else. Obviously, these people don't even deserve your bigoted presence. Maybe you should stay in the big city where the people are more "educated" like yourself. I'm sure the fellow human beings you raced against this weekend would agree.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Howdy!

Here is Wisconsin me and Dragstang 79 race-um down that race track for the "Colby" cheese trophy!

We love standing in the back of our "hay wagons" and cheering the other farm boys.

I see that FX Comet is real upset with some of the comments,I'm not the moderator on this page but, I don't think he meant his comments to be derogatory at all.

Lets keep it cool guys,that's what seperates this board from the norm.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Funny how you don't hear Warren Johnson calling Darrell Alderman a "hillbilly redneck" just because he has a country accent. That's because they respect each other regardless of their differences. Kent, sorry if I came on too strong. Would it have hurt to interact with some of those folks, maybe get to know them before you dismissed them as ignorant, backward, and inferior? This board is the best because we show respect for one another. It doesn't matter if you're an "aussie", a "canuck", a "cheesehead", a "hillbilly", a "valley boy" or anything else. I'd appreciate it if you'd try to remember that. I'll do the same.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I raced at Roswell several years ago. Yea, they seemed a little "rural" but they were all very cordual and friendly and I couldn't have asked for a better time. I've raced all over the west and midwest at tracks that ranged from real s#%t-holes to state of the art plants that had every emenity and have to say that I had the most fun at the smaller local tracks than the big ones. MoKan in western Missouri is one that readily comes to mind as well as Tulsa and Belle-Fourche. The thing is that they are just doin their thing and havin a good time to, and in the end, from the jist of your post, you and your family seemed to have a good time also. I hope you do return with your car as the small local tracks need all the racers they can muster, and you just might be surprised how competitive those "rednecks" and "hillbillys" can get.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
fxcomet, you got the wrong impression of what I said. I didn't mean to insult you in any way. I had a great time there. I was just pointing out that there in southern NM they are totally isolated from the rest of the country and plus this is the 49th poorest state in the union and it shows but the fact there are no rules, no tech, and allowing passengers in plain sight cought me off guard. Most of the cars there(even the ratty looking slow ones) were towed there by nice late model trucks on nice trailers. Many cars just had bad parts combinations that are easy to get right. Many 600 vacuum secondary carbs on 13 and 12 second big blocks and converters soo tight that after launching on trans brakes, most of the engines down rev and bog after launch which against the brake stalled enough but after launch the converter would tighten up a lot and put the engine way below the powerband and have to wait for the engine to get back into the RPM range it wants. Almost all the transbrake cars were like that. There were no fights, arguments, or trouble. Nobody drove stupid or tried showing off. Very nice people that sound and look different that any other place I've been. Even Arkansas is more modern and updated in the back hills than down here in south NM. I'm just not use to seeing this kind of track or people but it is cool. Almost like the Beverly Hillbillys but a little more modern. The greenish black teeth some of these guys had wasn't too cool though to my wife. Yes, I enjoyed the hell out of going there and will be going back. Now to get some cars running and more people to take with us that have Fords. We could over run that place with Fords and have a blast. I truely loved Tulsa when I lived there (7 years) andthe Midnight Drags was the best. Gates open at 11PM run what ya' brung to timers just a single yellow stage bulb, one 4/10s bulb, one red and a green bulb. Closest thing to street racing in a controlled environment. Roswell leaves their timers and score boards on but basically the same thing. We all enjoyed it there in Roswell. Just a different kinda folk there that I never saw before(except on TV). Friendly and orderly without attitudes. Pretty cool.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I hope I didn't offend anybody with my red necks and pick ups humor. If I did I apologize.

Out here in Southern California there aren't really enough tracks for the population.The most fun I have had racing lately was at Rialto Raceway which is an 1/8 mile track set up on a small airport. The place isn't fancy and doesn't have the latest state of the art equipment but it is a much better time being around guys who haven't become so serious about the racing and still are doing it for just the fun of it.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Hey 89coupe...if you get the chance, you gotta go to the UFO museum there in Roswell!

Im sorry that you are so down on New Mexico, as I have found it to be a very nice place with lots of outdoor activity to do.

I know that its a poor state, but that just means that you can get better deals!!

At least you have some freedom in your state.

My state is basically run by outright communists.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you in California or Florida?

The thing about NM is everything here is expensive. Housing, utilities, etc and the junk yards are being shut down around here. Fery few old cars around here anymore and the junkyards that are here only keep cars 10 years old and newer. The rest get crushed. AZ and Texas has a lot of old car junkyards still though. I will check out the museum probably the next time I go down there along with some junkyards surrounding Roswell area.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Tulsa? Did I hear someone mention Tulsa? Man we have a blast here, new owner, sprucing it up. If you're ever around, look for me & say hey! I have the tube chassis '66.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Kent, no problem, we're cool. Jeez, I musta been havin' a bad day or somethin'. (Must be that male menopause thing they keep tellin' me about)
We have an "old school" track near me. It's back in the mountains and I essentially cut my drag racing teeth there as a kid. It's essentially changed very little. There are now third generation drag racers there who grew up on it like I did. There is a wide spectrum of cars there each week. Pro-mod style cars that run in the 4's in the eighth to beater '71 Torino's with no front shocks for weight transfer. (that's what the guy told me, honest!)He ran 15'sin the quarter. There are ricers, lots of 5.0 stangs, some street rods, and enough Camaros to make you think you're at a CAR CRAFT Magazine convention. The common denominator to it all is the people. Helpful, friendly, cool: Sorta like this board. It doesn't seem to matter if you've got money and sponsors or not because you're a car person first. One final thing: Hate to burst everybody's bubble, but to the non-car people, WE'RE THE IGNORANT REDNECKS!

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
On 2002-03-26 14:51, fxcomet wrote:
Kent, no problem, we're cool. Jeez, I musta been havin' a bad day or somethin' It doesn't seem to matter if you've got money and sponsors or not because you're a car person first. One final thing: Hate to burst everybody's bubble, but to the non-car people, WE'RE THE IGNORANT REDNECKS!
I'm glad this did'nt become a big deal here and it's all resolved,like I said this place ROCKS and I think we have a awesome group of members posting here!

It's a place where respect is common,and that's not common in todays world!

Fordmuscle rules the web!

65 Falcon Sprint Super-Stock Replica
66 Galaxie 500-XL 428 4-speed
91 Mustang GT 5-liter 5-speed
95 F-350 XLT Super-Cab DRW 460- Tow Vehical
"Wanted" Edelbrock F-427 390-428 intake

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DynoTom on 3/27/02 3:22am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
As I was born 'n raised in SC-
I resemble that remark! I love the look on peoples faces that don't know me that well after about my third beer and the drawl starts to come back. At first they think it's an act...

Heee Doggie! That dog will HUNT!

Go Gamecocks!

Jim L.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
HA! HA! Punk Rockers are just rednecks with dyed hair...
Actually, there's this story about my Uncle Stanley who fell into a vat of his "pink lemonade".(That's what he called his moonshine). Turned his hair the nicest shade of white, with little black streaks in it. Then it all fell out...

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
On 2002-03-26 16:01, FasterDamnit! wrote:
As I was born 'n raised in SC-
I resemble that remark! I love the look on peoples faces that don't know me that well after about my third beer and the drawl starts to come back. At first they think it's an act...

Heee Doggie! That dog will HUNT!

Go Gamecocks!

Jim L.
Third beer? Man, you have been away too long!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
On 2002-03-26 04:58, qtrmiler wrote:
Tulsa? Did I hear someone mention Tulsa? Man we have a blast here, new owner, sprucing it up. If you're ever around, look for me & say hey! I have the tube chassis '66.
We try to hit Tulsa when we come out on our way to the MoPar race in St.Louis on Labor Day. He is from Fairland and his brothers race Tulsa, MoKan, and the surrounding tracks. You might know them, One has an AMX and the other one has a Cornet (with a scattered 440) and a pick-up. Their dad and other brother also race. Have a good time when I'm there. specially the MidNites.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts