Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got a piece of the Camaro...1/4 mile style. That thing "moves" well. I am really not all that satisfied with the mach 1's times. My Best was:

14.71 @ 98.24 MPH.

60' was HORRIBLE...but remember 3.25 ONE LEGGER! was a
60' 2.424
I most DEF need to get better on my R/T
RT .666

Well I am hoping that the gears are here Tuesday. I might go to another track this weekend if I get the gears in. What will 4.11's Posi do for me?

here is the setup again..

351C
4v Quench heads.
1.73 Rockers.
.564" I
.589" E
246 @ .050 I
256 @ .050 E

Flat tops so APPROX 10.8:1 - 11:1

Torker Intake
Holley 750 VS
Hooker Super Comps
3" Exhaust
2 Chamber FlowMasters

3500 Stall
C6
tires on it now are 295 60 (I think) 15 26" tall.

slicks were not allowed at this track today.

Also, the Camaro is going to get gears now too. Will this wake up his motor as much as it will mine, or more? Anyways, we had a blast, and want to do it again.

Ohh yea, car is a 73 Mach 1
his is a 68 Camaro.

GTG to work now and finish paying off the rear end...

Jeff Given

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I don't know where you raced,but heard that traction was non existent at Sacramento this weekend. If you went to Fontana then I don't know what to say. Just keep having fun racing the car even though it isn't as fast as you think it should be.Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
If you really have 295/60/15s on the rear, you actually have about 29-29.5" tall tires. 275/60/15 is 28" tall and 225 or 235/60/15 is 26" tall. 3.25 gears with tight 3500 stall(tight for a 4V head cleveland with large cam) and 29-29.5" tall tires are killing much of your ET. 4.11s or 4.30s would work great with 26" tall slicks and 4.56 or 4.88 would work great with 28-29" tall slicks. Need to get that Cleveland spinning in it's powerband ASAP. 4000-4500 stall would be better also.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I WOULD MAKE SURE TO RUN 110+ RACING GAS WITH AT LEAST 36 DEGREES OF TIMING..LOCKED OUT OF COURSE. IF YOU DON'T HAVE THIS IT COULD BE WORTH AS MUCH AS .01-03...GOOD LUCK! OH YEAH, DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOU INTAKE CENTERLINE OF YOUR CAM IS DEGREED ON? WITH A 4V CLEV. AND AN AUTO IT NEEDS TO BE DOWN TO AROUND 106. GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Definitely get the gears in the car ASAP. After that, get a set of 26" slicks. Coupe has a point about the converter... it's probably great for the street for use with that 3.25 gear and radials, but you'll need to be in your powerband taking off at the track with slicks for best 60fts. If you get dragstrip crazy later on, a looser converter is in order.

BUT, I'm not at all satisfied with that 98mph speed at the end of the 1/4. Something is holding the car back. It's not making near the power it should. At what rpm are you shifting? It should be around 6500-6800. I'd check out that carb as well. Make sure the secondaries are opening. Check the simple things like throttle linkage as well... Maybe the linkage isn't opening the carb all the way. If you have access, try a double pumper on the car to see how it feels. SOMETHING is holding the engine back. It's not making the power it should.

After you find the problem, you'll need to pick up the low-end power as much as possible to get the car to launch well at all. A quick advance curve, ending at around 38 degrees and 2800 rpm (or even locking out the timing) will help get the car moving. Just be sure to use decent fuel to avoid ping.

For best results in you heavy car, the cam should have around a 106-108 lobe seperation angle, and be installed advanced 2-4 degrees. A smaller stick would probably work better (for drag racing) with your current setup (3500 stall) as well once you get slicks on it.

For now, I'd stick a double pumper on there, or check to make SURE the secondaries are working properly.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
And I was there with Jeff ... For Moral support

Larry Madsen
Las Vegas Nevada

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: monstermach on 1/14/02 11:51am ]</font>

·
Registered
5 Posts
On 2002-01-13 21:19, Just Jim wrote:
but heard that traction was non existent at Sacramento this weekend.
you can say that again! 2, count em 2 cars into the rails!!!! both chevys! hehehe

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, how does this sound for the speed...I Could have done without shifting to third...I was shifting at about 5900. The chip is at 6100 RPMs. The whole assembly is balanced, but I have cast pistons
so that is why I am not revving the motor to the redline of 6500. The one time I did bring it up higher (6000 - 6100) I did gain a .10 in the quarter...infact that was my best time

Well hell the tires have about 12.5" of tread on them. So maybe NOT 295's. They are 26" on the wheel with air.

BTW Larry, my gauge for the tires SAID I was running 12 PSI in those tires...the fronts were right on, as were seans, so maybe it was the valve stem? Or maybe it did have 12 PSI.

Ohh yea...it was Fontana. And one car hit the wall. I did not see it, infact I did not watch one race. BUT, I did see the car afterwards...Me thinks it was some sort of a Plymouth. SAD, SAD..

Ohh Yea... GREGG COOK. I WANT TO SEE YOUR CAR RUN. COME TO CALIFORNIA
I read the artilce...SWEET!!

Oh yea....

Jeff Given

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not only is my spelling of Article pissing me off, I also wanted to pipe in this.

I saw a BOSS 429 today
The body looked to have needed some loving, but the motor was SWEET. Lifted the hood, and Spark plugs in the middle of the valves.
Man I just had to share that. sorry.

Jeff Given

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
If the tires are radials, run them at around 30psi. Low pressures just make them "cup" up in the center and run on their outside edges.

As for the pistons, they'll be fine. Go ahead and spin the engine up to 6500. If everything is right, you won't hurt it. Shifting at such a low rpm is killing the times. At each gear change, the engine is dropping out of its powerband. It needs to run in its "sweet spot" all the way down the track.

Get a gear, a set of 26" slicks, and drive like you actually want to beat that crapmaro!
Don't be a wussy boy...

Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
There was a Nova there, ran an 11 flat ... challenged any Ford that wanted to run ... He had one taker ... in a Mustang. Mustang couldn't run with him time wise, but the Nova "red lighted" so I reckon a "pure race" sense you might could say the Mustang beat him

Also, another car I believe was a "Mopar" ran about a 9.8 ... One run and kicked out ...

"Too Fast"

I never thought too fast was possible

Most of the real fast cars there were running in the high 11s and into the 12s ...

Then you had about 75% of the cars ... Rice Burners ... and any assortment of daily drivers that were pretty boring to watch ... However, I'm sure the drivers were having fun.

Jeff ... We just have to figure out how to get you into the 12s buddy

Larry Madsen
Las Vegas Nevada

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: monstermach on 1/14/02 11:38pm ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: monstermach on 1/14/02 11:40pm ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: monstermach on 1/14/02 11:41pm ]</font>

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
The first thing I would do is get that car hooked. The best performance mod I ever made was bolting on a set of Mcrearys.Then you need to figure out where that cleveland wants to run.You want to be at your peak performing rpms as you go through the traps at the end of the quarter.I'll bet you weren't even using much of third gear.Anyway get that posi rear and some gears,4.56 would probably work good before you do much work tuning the engine.If you have no traction you"ll never know if your tuning the right way or not,with no traction you may even run slower the more power you make.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Jeff,
I've got just what you need out in my storage shed just waiting to be used,a pair of 26X10X15 M/T ET Drags mounted on an old set of 15x8.5 slot mags. I had them on my Morris and might be tempted to bring them out to LACR or Irwindale next time I go.They won't fit my Falcon due to the small wheelwells,but will probably bolt right up to your Mustang.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just Jim...where are you from is So Cal?

I am in Corona right now.

How much did you want for the wheels, and slicks? Are they, "Street Slicks" ?

Thanks a lot,
Jeff GIven

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Jeff,
I live in Northridge and race regularly at LACR and the new 1/8 mile track at Irwindale. The tires are real slicks,not street legal and I want about $150 for the pair. They are mounted with rim screws and tubes and have a decent amount of use left. I wasn't really trying to sell them but if you can use them I might be going to LACR this Sunday and will bring them along if you want to make the drive out to the desert.Let me know.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jim,
Sorry for intruding that offer
Where is the desert? I am still trying to get the posi here in Corona. If I get that, and the desert is not that far...I will try to go. If the desert is far from me, I will try to get a trailer...either way, I will try to go. Thanks a lot!

Jeff Given

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Jeff,
The desert I'm referring to is Palmdale, where Los Angeles County Raceway (LACR) is located. If it's too far to go this weekend,I'm planning to race at Irwindale on Sunday,February 3rd and can bring the tires there.Irwindale is a shorter track (1/8mile) but is also a much shorter drive for you.Either one is cool with me.
Jim

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Just Jim on 1/18/02 12:40pm ]</font>

·
Registered
100 Posts
forget about "street slicks" (like M/T ET Streets and others) if you aren't driving on them to the track why not just run REAL slicks... at least they will hook. The only reason i can see for the ET streets are if rules require them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts