Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to put a 2bbl back on my 67 390, what carb is supposed to go on there? It has a C6 auto transmission.

Also, I noticed that my ignition coil says to use an external resistor, but I don't see one anywhere, I'm assuming it needs one. It was set up like this when I bought it, and when I replaced the coil, I noticed the writing on it says that I need to use one.

·
Premium Member
5,912 Posts
I have a book with carburetor build tags and it shows all 390 carburetors in 1967 were 2100s. Seems strange though. Anyways, with an automatic, C7AF-Z was with emissions, C7AF-V was without.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Do you have the intake also? I've got the original intake and a 2bbl carb. You just don't like the 4bbl? Let me know if I can help. I'm still trying to talk myself out of using the Tri-Power set up I've got. I should have both a 2bbl intake and carb and a 4bbl intake and carb and if you're real desperate I've got. A 390 FE laying around somewhere.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why stay 2V? The Fuel economy is no better than with a 4V.
OK, allow me to explain:

My car started running like crap a couple of weeks ago and I nearly couldn't get it home. When I got it back home and played with it, trying to see what was wrong with it, it would sometimes run smooth for like a minute or so, then go right back to idling really rough and having to feather the gas pedal to keep it running, like it was starving for fuel. Other times, it wouldn't start at all, so I was suspecting the carb from the start.

But, I decided to check all 8 plugs, and all of them were producing a blue spark when turning the rotor button to open and close the points. Plug wires are brand new. Checked the fuel pump, it's putting out plenty of gas. And the gas it was pumping out looked good, poured some in a clear cup, there was no water at the bottom that I could see, so...

The only thing as far as I know it could be is the carb. Now, for how it's set up...the original owner put a holly 4bbl carb on it with an adapter plate, he said it was originally a 2bbl.

So, I was thinking about just putting back on it what it's supposed to have, only problem I see with that is getting the linkage hooked back up right as the linkage was rigged on this carb to work right. It works mind you, but it's clearly rigged. Also another problem is getting the vacuum hooked back up on a 2bbl as I obviously don't have a metal vacuum line or even the part that would plug into a 2100's vacuum hole in the front.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Don't know about yours but in my 67 2V 390 I've had to replace the power valve 3 times.
Keeps blowing them.

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
What a Doofus! That guy needs to stop playing with cars. OK, NOW I know your problem.

The 2V intake and 4V carb is problem #1, the Holley part is problem #2, and a Vacuum leak is problem #3.

Get an Autolite 2100 with the 1.19 Ventiuris and when installed make sure you have no vacuum leaks. You'll love the difference.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have a 67 LTD with 390 2 barrel and C-6 (and freshly installed duals), you can sure tell it runs short of fuel before power. Honestly, I was just considering an adapter and a 4 barrel!!!

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
I'm not sure why you're sticking with a 2bbl? You can ebay your way into a pretty sweet setup. My 428 was way under carbed I wouldn't even put my old carb on a 390, maybe properly jetted and rebuilt I'd put it on a 289. I've preached Lokar severel times on here, but it's because it was just an amazingly simple way to replace throttle cables and the shift rod. As far as using an adapter... I have never seen that go very well. Even when adapting a new Edelbrock to a Quadrajunk intake on my previous SBC 350, it had bog points and the difference after switching to the Edelbrock intake was like night and day.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What a Doofus! That guy needs to stop playing with cars. OK, NOW I know your problem.

The 2V intake and 4V carb is problem #1, the Holley part is problem #2, and a Vacuum leak is problem #3.

Get an Autolite 2100 with the 1.19 Ventiuris and when installed make sure you have no vacuum leaks. You'll love the difference.
Can't seem to find one with the part number C7AF-V, and all the ones I could find through Google were either 1.21 or 1.23, couldn't find a single one that was 1.19. :(

Also, where does the fuel line go to on these carbs? Will I need to replace my fuel pump as well?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I saw one for sale on Ebay, but I need a good picture of how the cable and the transmission's bent metal shaft is hooked up to the 2barrel carb's throttle assembly. I'm most likely going to have to rig it to make it work, so a good, clear stock pic would be helpful.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
I saw one for sale on Ebay, but I need a good picture of how the cable and the transmission's bent metal shaft is hooked up to the 2barrel carb's throttle assembly. I'm most likely going to have to rig it to make it work, so a good, clear stock pic would be helpful.
I'm telling you at least check out this linkage package...
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/cmb-03-0043
They list it on eBay for $120 sometimes. But you can pick up a spectre throttle cable for $20 and a piece of flat stock aluminum with some dremmel tool skills and extend the bar the amount of difference... Or... Do you have a pic of the four barrel and adapter? I bet the bar was just bent a little to work, and you could bend it back to stock with a pic of an unmolested rod with some measurements

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK, now I have another problem, can anyone tell me where I can get the 4 bolts that go through the carb and waterjacket/pcv spacer and screw into the intake?

The "wonderful" current set up uses 2 sets of 4 bolts, one set to bolt the holly 4bbl into the adapter plate and the other set bolts the adapter plate into the intake.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts