Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it took me four trips to different parts stores but I finally found my PCV grommet. I have a 65 with a 240/six. Three of four parts stores did not even list the part on their computer. The one that did turned out to be the wrong size. I went online and found a ford part number and then tried to cross reference. Got the grommet and did not fit. I have a 1 1/4 inch hole in the valve cover and the PCV is 3/4 inch in diameter. The parts store folks just stared at me like "HUH?" when I asked them to search for it. All their dimensions are to the thousandths and there are about seven or eight dimensions that could be made to fit (a little tighter the better). No luck at three stores. Finally found a store with a large assortment of "HELP" grommets. Found three that were a possible fit. Opened all three in front of the salesfolks and mic'd the dimensions. The one I found that fit was from a buick 455 from the 70's. It is part number: DORMAN 42061. Was a little tight to fit the PCV in but snugged up nicely to the valve cover once it was in.
I guess I'm just venting---should not be this hard to find parts!!!!

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
I have a set of original 64 1/2 tail lights for sale lol lens dated with correct part number. driver condition.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, Did you know that the galaxie only came with a 289, 352 or 390 engine in 1965? Parts folks say so. This forum brings my insanity in check. Thanks guys!!

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Yeah, Did you know that the galaxie only came with a 289, 352 or 390 engine in 1965? Parts folks say so. This forum brings my insanity in check. Thanks guys!!
Not according to rock Auto. They have your engine listed. Oreilly's has your year/engine combination listed as well.

Both companies are online too. I hope this will help.

Tommy

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Well, it took me four trips to different parts stores but I finally found my PCV grommet. I have a 65 with a 240/six. Three of four parts stores did not even list the part on their computer. The one that did turned out to be the wrong size. I went online and found a ford part number and then tried to cross reference. Got the grommet and did not fit. I have a 1 1/4 inch hole in the valve cover and the PCV is 3/4 inch in diameter. The parts store folks just stared at me like "HUH?" when I asked them to search for it. All their dimensions are to the thousandths and there are about seven or eight dimensions that could be made to fit (a little tighter the better). No luck at three stores. Finally found a store with a large assortment of "HELP" grommets. Found three that were a possible fit. Opened all three in front of the salesfolks and mic'd the dimensions. The one I found that fit was from a buick 455 from the 70's. It is part number: DORMAN 42061. Was a little tight to fit the PCV in but snugged up nicely to the valve cover once it was in.
I guess I'm just venting---should not be this hard to find parts!!!!

WELCOME to the world of Fords. You're lucky you have a '65 and not a '64 or earlier. Ford started to 'improve' their 'product' in '65. Learn the meaning of the word "improvise". :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts