Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i seen a couple of articles on breaking in a new motor, but what if you got a new or rebuilt trans? i am going to use the motor breakin procedures since i do have a fresh rebuilt 302, but what about the c-6 i have behind it. that has been freshly rebuilt also. how much fluid do i put in it to start? i m guessing i should fill up the convertor too before i put it in. but what if the fluid runs low during the 2500 rpm 30 min break in? i can t imagine that is good for the clutches and band? should i jack up the rear and let the everything roll while the breakin goes on or just have someone watch the level of things during the breakin? PLEASE HELP!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Not much to breaking in a tranny. Firmly go thru the gears a few times to set the bands and clutches.
fill your converter before you install it and fill tranny to manf. specs.
You will do your engine break-in in park all you need really is to have fluid enough for the pump not to run dry. No bands or clutches will be engaged till you select a gear.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
When I had mine rebuilt I was told to let it run on jackstands for awhile before putting load on it. Then I was told to drive it for half hour or so, let it cool completely, drive for another half hour or so and let it cool down again.
So far so good with mine.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Just dont add all the fluid at once. Fill the convertor as much as you can first. Then fill the dry trans with about 2-3 quarts before you fire it up. Then as the engine is in its break in period then continue to fill it a couple of quarts at a time till you get close to the top off quarts. Then after the break in let everything cool and then top it off in drive with the engine idling.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Just like I break in the motor:

Fill it, idle & check for leaks, problems, etc, and then go pound on it! Most recent one had...maybe..2 minutes run time total. works great so far.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
The only thing I will add is that you need to run up and down through the gears several times. The trans is a hydralic system and can have air bubbles in the valve body, clutch packs and servos. Going through the gears will help "burp" the air out. After that, it will be fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts