Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
where did you get it, and how much was it?
There are so many out there. Most of them look the same. Different engine features. Once you get to the 60gal plus ones, then they definately look the same. I had to break and get the 33 gal one from sears/craftsman. It was $329 with a set of air tools included. Nice deal I thought. I look around though and see the big ones for about that much. Wish I couldve done that, but I wasnt in the position of wiring my place for 240 volt. When I am though, I would like to get a jump on what big one to get. I really dont think this 33 gal one is gonna cut it. Sandblasting has shown me that.
. They sell the big ones everywhere; Lowes, home depot, etc.. and if it were me making the call i would say they are all made in the same place by the same people the same way.
Another thing; when is it neccessary to go with 1/2 as opposed to 3/8 air hose? It's just me and my garage.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: v8shadow on 10/29/06 4:59am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
My acquisition was a bit convoluted and took a while.

I bought a 20 gal Ingersoll from Costco some years ago for around $250. A year or so later traded it to the Ford dealer I was working at for a 100 gal twin cyl upright. They needded a small compressor for their detail shop. Cool deal until I realized it was set up for three phase and a convertor was going to cost me about $700.

Well, I went for another year or so without air until a friend said the trans shop he was working at was looking for a compressor and did I want to sell mine. I said no, but I would trade it for something I could use in its place. Following weekend a Snap-On truck rolled into my driveway & the rep said he was here to pick up my compressor and drop off a btand new twin cyl 100 gal upright Blue Point compressor.

So over the course of about three years I was able to parlay my 20 gal Costco into a $1000 220 volt "B" line Snap-On unit. Pure luck I know but sometimes these things can happen.

Have had this compressor for close to 12 years now. Replaced head gaskets once, bleed it off a couple times a year. Pretty cool.

Oh, yeah, I installed a Harbor Freight $20 regulator into the line a few years ago too. Works great. I also (and I know I'll get slammed for this) plumbed my garage with 1/2" PVC for my air when I got this compressor. That too works well.

Murff

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
THIS is the place to buy an air compressor!

http://www.eatoncompressor.com/page/page/504747.htm

They've got some KILLER units for great prices. If you go there to pick it up, they will also do a flow test for you to guarantee performance. They are only one state over from me, so when I can afford to upgrade, that's where I plan to go. These have some killer features, such as GIANT, cast iron underdriven pumps that loaf along at low rpms and build minimal heat and moisture.

Read all about them. GOOD STUFF for a GREAT PRICE!

Currently, I have a crappy Coleman 'professional' 120V 20 gallon unit that has a 5hp motor. That 5hp is VERY wishful thinking. It's one of those INFLATED claims that many air compressor companies put out. This machine is fine for air wrenches, but you're not going to do much grinding with it.

For any amount of sanding and grinding, a unit with a 220V motor and a 2-stage pump is needed. Check out the units above. Quality, and guaranteed performance!

Click on the units and read their specs!

Good Luck!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: n2omike on 10/29/06 7:33am ]</font>

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh wow. Iv'e been seeing the big ones at various places for less than $400. Either I'm seeing a good buy, or a piece of crap, or I need to learn a lot more about these things.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Don't be fooled by a 'big' tank. If it has a 120V motor and a single stage pump, it's still a 'hobby' unit. Go to my link above if you want GUARENTEED results with a GOOD compressor at a great price.

64TBOLT has a decent compressor at $849. But again, it's probably 220V and it has a 2-stage pump. Compare it to the ones in the link above, and you'll see similar prices, and the ones in the link will have larger motors and pumps.... and guaranteed results.

I'm growing tired of my 'hobby unit' and want to upgrade to one of the compressors in the Eaton link. One of their 220V 5hp 2-stage units would be more than I'd ever need. They have one on there that has TWO 10hp motors and pumps on one tank! I can't imagine what you'd need that for!

Eaton's 220V 5hp 2-stage delivers a GUARANTEED 17 standard cubic feet per minute compared to the claimed 12.6 of the Husky. You can get into one for $1100, and it's already pre-wired with a magnetic starter. The motor itself weighs 99 lbs and the bare pump is 222 lbs! They use oversized components and underdrive them at lower speeds for less heat, moisture and noise... and more service life. Your cheaper compressors will use smaller motors and pumps, then gear them up and 'claim' their maximum flow rates. Eaton will demonstrate their flow with a meter right in front of you!

I'm not saying that the Husky is a POS that will die next week, I'm just saying for an extra $150 the Eaton will be quieter, will produce less heat and moisture, and will last your lifetime. It will also deliever FAR more air and comes pre-wired... which helps cover the extra cost.

Home Depot doesn't sell ANYTHING that doesn't have at least a 100% mark-up. Eaton is able to sell a much better unit at a very comparable price.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: n2omike on 10/29/06 7:26pm ]</font>

·
Registered
282 Posts
Bought my Ingersoll from TSC about 4 years ago. Single stage, 5 HP, 80 gallon tank, 135 psi max, 18.1 cfm, 100% duty-cycle. Gave about $720 for it.

It's marketed as a commercial grade unit with a minimum 5000 hr life cycle. Would have liked to have bought a 2-stage, but just couldn't justify the difference of an additional $400 or $500 for it back then. Even being "only" a single stage, I've never run it out. This things just flat breathes!

http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pcID=1&paID=1010&sonID=469&page=1&productID=9181

Kevin

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
quote:

Oh, yeah, I installed a Harbor Freight $20 regulator into the line a few years ago too. Works great. I also (and I know I'll get slammed for this) plumbed my garage with 1/2" PVC for my air when I got this compressor. That too works well.

Murfh,
Anyone who slams you for using pvc is wrong. I know several big time repair shops that plumb their air with pvc. never had a problem long as you don't exceed the max pressure.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Thanks Retyler.

Usually when I mention the PVC out come the "Building Code Czars' with all of the where-as and why-fors of not using PVC. Mine has been in for over ten years and no problems at all. I added hose connections throughout and it sure makes life easier and I'm not tripping over hose running all over the shop.

Nice to have the first piece of feedback on my comment not be a slam.

Thanks

Murff

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, I read some about this and it wasnt put across in a way that I understood. What is staging when it comes to air compressors. What is the difference between 1 and 2 stage besides cost? Do I want to try and get away with using a 1 stage compressor for car restoration,grinding, sanding, blasting, bla bla bla?????

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Grinders, sanders and blasters are major AIR HOGS. You'll need to go BIG if you've got much of this planned. If you decide to do any painting, you'll also want a unit that doesn't produce a lot of moisture.

Single stage units with 120V motors won't even THINK about keeping up with grinders, sanders and blasters. NO WAY, DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT. You'll need a quality, 2-stage unit with a 240V motor.

2-stage pumps compress the air in one cylinder, then move it to another for further compression. It's more efficient than one single stage. As for moisture, 2-stages and LOW RPM are your friends. Compressing air quickly builds a lot of heat, which will produce moisture. Look for a LOW RPM pump that still produces a lot of CFM. These are usually very large in size. The pumps sold by Eaton in my link above use HUGE pumps that turn at a very low rpm. This makes them very quiet, it makes them build less heat and moisture, and makes them have a very long sevice life.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Murff

My garage is plumbed with PVC as well ... been that way for about seven years and is just fine.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MonsterMach on 11/20/06 9:34am ]</font>

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Used to have this one, before the move:

That thing was incredible. The lights in the house would dim every time it came on. We had to rearrange the breaker box to find enough current for it.

Dad got it for dirt cheap at a Home Depot, I think 600 or 800 dollars, and turned around 3 years later and sold it for more than he paid.

I'm currently compressorless now.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: thekingofazle on 11/21/06 3:17pm ]</font>

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, however much it helps to have two instead of one stage is definately apparent in the price. These large compressors that I see for less than four hundred dollars are in fact large, but only ONE stage! What a scam!! I hate Menards.

·
Registered
730 Posts
V8Shadow started with asking opinions on air compressors...I have plenty of them (opinions that is). I bought one of the 35 gallon oil-less Craftsman 'portable' compressors about 8 years ago & loved it for things like painting, air ratchet, impact wrench. The only down side was it would scare the $hit out of me when it started unexpectadly (sp)...Once I got my Ranchero & needed to drive grinders, cut off tools & do a little sand blasting (small parts like bolts, pulleys, thermostat housings...I realized that I needed a bigger compressor.

I have a friend at work whose neighbor was selling a 60 gallon Craftsman oil-less unit for $100. So I sold my 35 gallon to another friend for $100 & bought the 60 gallon unit. All it cost me was the wire and recepticle for the 220 volt connection.

Now the fun starts. I thought my 35 gallon compressor was loud, the 60 gallon, two cylinder would cause me to foul myself when it started. I'd have to leave the garage while the tank charged.

Within two weeks of owning it, I had a piston seperated from the connecting rod. The piston is attached to the rod by a small screw right in the middle of the piston dish. It pulled clean through. I won't go into details about easy outs & drill bits, trying to save the rod, but venture to say, it cost me a considerable bit to fix the SOB.

For some reason, maybe a premonition, I never put the covers back on the engine. One night I was standing in front of it watching the squirrel cage fan spin - may have had one Bud too many. I was mezmerized (sp) & felt the need to touch it with my thumb, on the top side..you know, just to feel it spinning that's another post - stupid gearhead stories). Well, it was spinning towards me instead of away from me & knocked the shtew out of my thumb.

By the way, the MF SOB POS leaked this whole time. It would discharge completely over night. If I forgot to turn it off (I never had to turn off my other one), it would wake me up in the middle of the night when it went to recharge.

Two months ago, I had a friend and his son over to pump up a bicycle tire. Since the POS SOB discharged over night, I had to turn it on to charge it up. After what seemed like a long time, with the compressor still running, I walked back into the garage to look at the tank gauge & the MF SOB SPRAYED bits of aluminum in my eyes/face... You shouldn't have to wear safety glasses when you check the pressure gauge on your compressor.

Sure enough, the pump motor had blowed up again. This time, one of the connecting rods cracked right across the middle, broke a rod (obviously), a piston, bent one of the cylinder inserts, smashed one of the reed valves...

I was bound and determined that I was going to 'fix' this POS with one of the Eaton compressor heads that Mike mentioned above. I'd done a pretty good bit of research & talked to the good folks at Eaton. I was going to use my 60 gallon tank & my electric motor (remember this part). I had it all figured out, for a few hundred dollars I could get one of their bad azz three cylinder pumps, rig up a plate and a pulley system (bought from Eaton) & have a Johnny Holmes compressor for just a few hundred bucks.

Well, I took the Craftsman pump motor off the front of the electric motor & guess what...The electric motor doesn't have a front cover. Craftsman, or whoever, chose to use the pump 'block' as the front cover. Not only that, they cut a great big notch in the outout shaft in order to connect the 'crankshaft' to the electric motor. So my electric motor is useless unless I want to fix the POS oil-less pump.

So instead of buying just a pump head and fabricating up a plate to mount it on, I now need a new motor too. You can spend as much money as you want on a 5-7 hp electric motor. So my dreams of a cheap Johnny Holmes compressor went out the window.

Last week, I ordered the 'good' (non oilless) Craftsman 60 gallon compressor. I think I'll make a bbq grill to mount to my truck receiver out of my old 60 gallon tank, or maybe take it out back & shoot it with a couple of boxes of 00 buck.

Sorry to be so long, but I can't advise in cams, compression ratios, carbs...but when I have a strong opinion, I let her rip.

Rick

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Feedback appreciated, but just what opinion are you trying to impart to me/us? I thought maybe it was that craftsman was junk, then you ordered another upgraded model from them, so please clarify. I most definately want to know.

·
Registered
730 Posts
V8, I'll clarify. The oil-less compressors are less than desirable (junk for anything other than hobby level). I've been to all of the hardware stores ( and more) here in Columbus looking for a compressor. Lowes has one that I like, but they NEVER have sales (at least on tool stuff). Not only that, you can walk around the tool section and NEVER see an employee. I mean NEVER.

In our Sears, you walk into the tool section & you'll have a couple of people ask if you're finding everything ok. Not pesky, but you know they're there & they know their stuff. That doesn't happen at Lowes.

The non-oil-less Sears compressors (belt & pulley) seem to be just like the compressors sold at the other stores. Hope that clarifies for you. I didn't mean to denegrate all Craftsman compressors, only the POS oil-less compressors that run at electric motor speed (no belts or pulleys).

Rick

1 - 20 of 26 Posts