Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing the resto-mod on my '65.
I found a place that makes the adapters so that I can use an AOD tranny with an FE engine.
Which tranny (AOD, AODE, 4R70W, etc), and what years should they be?
And lastly, what cars did these trannys come in ?
Thanks for any help!!

RR

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
You want the AOD with a short tailshaft housing.

I cut this from the Mustang shop How to article

"When purchasing your transmission, be aware that there are two tailshaft lengths used on AOD's. The short model is the one that is closest to the C4in overall length. I forgot to measure it but the SVO catalog says it's 10.1" long. The catalog also indicates the short extension housing AOD was used in all passenger cars except rear wheel drive Lincoln Marks and Continentals (not sure about the Town Cars), 2WD F-150 trucks built after 11/81, and 83-85 E-150 vans. Also, don't confuse the AOD with the AOD-E, which uses electronic control."

I would look for V8 equipped Fox Cougars/Tbirds and Crown Vics/Grand Marquis.

Stu

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
FYI the AOD is very similar in design to the old iron Cruis-o-matic and FMX. Stu

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On 2006-08-24 19:16, GChief wrote:
Racing, who makes the adapters? I'm geting ready to tear down my 65 and the AOD is something I may consider.

Thanks
I could tell you...but then Id have to kill you.

Fake snake posted the tranny adapters website

Thanks guys, Good info!

RR

·
Registered
278 Posts
The base AOD does not require a computer - for simplicity sake it is the best option but depending on weight , gears, HP, torque, and use transbrake launches on slicks or cruising - the standard AOD may or may not be enough. The 4R70W has significantly stronger hard parts than the older AOD but required either a factory computer or a standalone. Baumann ( http://www.becontrols.com/ ) makes a standalone controller for the 4R70W. In an unlimited budget world I would buy a Lentech 4R70W and a Baumannator - but you will have $5K in your setup before you are done. The upside is that just like DFI
you can tune the tranny to conditions and have multiple pressure maps for the tranny - drive it across the country and is behaves like the 4R70W in a luxary car - take it to the track - chang shift points and line pressures and it becomes a race tranny (to the degree that the converter will allow it to be one) - COOL stuff...

So - Cheap - AOD
Spendy - 4R70W with standalone...
Option 3 - You can buy an AOD with the 4R70W hard parts implanted - quite a few of the "performance" AOD's that you see are based on this model - probably the way I will go when I have the spare $700 for the adaptor - for now I am implanting a C6...

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
On 2006-08-24 18:47, CaptVirgilHilts wrote:
FYI the AOD is very similar in design to the old iron Cruis-o-matic and FMX. Stu
The cruise-o-matic is an early C4 design (Simpson gearset), the FMX and AOD are similar (Ravigneaux gearsets), did you mean something else or am I the one confused here?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the info guys!
Looks like I scored an AOD out of an '86 Mustang.
For free!!
I have a good local tranny guy, so the money I saved on the purchase price will go towards getting the tranny checked out from front to back.
Things are really coming together on my build.
Thanks,

RR

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
On 2006-08-28 20:29, ZephyrZ7 wrote:
The cruise-o-matic is an early C4 design (Simpson gearset), the FMX and AOD are similar (Ravigneaux gearsets), did you mean something else or am I the one confused here?
Cruis-o-matic is a marketing name Ford applied to all their 3 speed autos originally. It replaced the 2 speed Fordomatic around 1958, if it was installed in a Mercury it would be called a Mercomatic. That is why I specifed the "cast iron Cruiso". The C4 was also called a Cruisomatic and oddly enough so was the C6. They came from a time when autos were a big deal ( early 50's) Other marketing names of the time were Dynaflow, Turbohydramatic, Torqueflite. etc.
The original 3 speed Ford Auto is based on a Borg Warner design that was used in other brands like Packard and Studebaker among others that weren't large enough to develop their own. Ford even used GM transmissions for a while until a fire at GM's plant cut production and GM provided for their own cars first.

I hate marketing names as they muddy the waters but the cast iron Cruiso was the original Cruisomatic trans. That trans became the MX/FX and FMX and as stated has a lineage up to the AOD. Stu

·
Registered
278 Posts
On 2006-08-29 02:49, RacingRob wrote:
Thanks for all the info guys!
Looks like I scored an AOD out of an '86 Mustang.
For free!!
I have a good local tranny guy, so the money I saved on the purchase price will go towards getting the tranny checked out from front to back.
Things are really coming together on my build.
Thanks,

RR
Rob,
How much HP/TQ are you making and how much weight are you moving? You can get a core 4R70W for between $0 and $200 depending on how hard you work. If you are going to have the tranny gone through and are going to use this for anything other than cruising in a < 300HP <3800 LB car I would buy a 4R70W core and have your tranny guy transplant the hard parts. Not only are the parts stronger but the gear ratios are wider (hense the "W" in the tranny name). You will be glad that you did...

Remembering to live Coram Deo

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 65Custom on 8/30/06 1:16am ]</font>

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Right now, I'm making 250HP. I can't see future upgrades giving me more than 300--325 HP total.
What's a stock '65 Galaxie weigh, 4100 ?
I'm building a CRUISER, I have a Cobra replica to tear up the streets with.
The tranny in this car will have an easy life.
Thanks guys,

RR

·
Registered
278 Posts
On 2006-08-29 11:36, RacingRob wrote:
Right now, I'm making 250HP. I can't see future upgrades giving me more than 300--325 HP total.
What's a stock '65 Galaxie weigh, 4100 ?
I'm building a CRUISER, I have a Cobra replica to tear up the streets with.
The tranny in this car will have an easy life.
Thanks guys,

RR
Clearly you are smarter than me - I'm trying to make my 4100lb car fast....
If I had paid more attention to the initial post and read "Resto-Mod" I'd have not pushed the upgrades so much. I guess I just assume that everyone is tryoung to go faster all the time....

BTW - Cobra Replica is on my "someday" list... Pics?

Remembering to live Coram Deo

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 65Custom on 8/30/06 5:34am ]</font>

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not smarter, lazier, maybe, but not smarter.
Everyone knows that 350 HP goes farther in a 2200lb car than in a 4100lb car

Give me your e-mail address and I'll send you a pic.

RR

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
On 2006-08-29 05:23, CaptVirgilHilts wrote:
On 2006-08-28 20:29, ZephyrZ7 wrote:
Cruis-o-matic is a marketing name Ford applied to all their 3 speed autos originally. It replaced the 2 speed Fordomatic around 1958, if it was installed in a Mercury it would be called a Mercomatic. That is why I specifed the "cast iron Cruiso". The C4 was also called a Cruisomatic and oddly enough so was the C6. They came from a time when autos were a big deal ( early 50's) Other marketing names of the time were Dynaflow, Turbohydramatic, Torqueflite. etc.
The original 3 speed Ford Auto is based on a Borg Warner design that was used in other brands like Packard and Studebaker among others that weren't large enough to develop their own. Ford even used GM transmissions for a while until a fire at GM's plant cut production and GM provided for their own cars first.

I hate marketing names as they muddy the waters but the cast iron Cruiso was the original Cruisomatic trans. That trans became the MX/FX and FMX and as stated has a lineage up to the AOD. Stu
makes sense to me!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts