Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
used for?? I keep seeing them on restoration shows and whatnot. I dont understand thier purpose over a regular drill bit when it comes to drilling metals.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, ok so when you want a larger hole than most bits will make, you use those then. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
also referred to as a "unibit"

They drill real nice holes. They were the only thing I found that wouldn't just rip holes in lightly resined carbon fiber.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Stepped allows you to gradually open a hole up to the size you want instead of starting with smaller drill bits and having to change to larger bits. It just makes drilling larger holes much quicker.And yes, it keeps you from tearing or distorting the sheetmetal you are trying to drill the hole into.

·
Registered
442 Posts
A "steped drill bit" Could be two different things A uni bit withe several different sizes or a steped drill bit with two different sizes (for more percise holes).
Both are used for the same general thing. Have you ever tried to drill a hole with a .250" (1/4&quot
or larger drill bit well you probably noticed its hard to locate the dead nutz center of your mark the larger drill bit wants to find its own place to start the hole. now the opposite is true with a smaller drill bit. the uni bit works good cuz you only chuck up twice (dont start the hole with a uni bit). Chris

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh, ok. This is becoming a pretty educational thread for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts