Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Richmond? Motive? anything else?
also if i put a detroit locker, or a lockright locker in it, will it be stronger? If i have a locker and bust the 8" will the locker be toast?

·
Registered
977 Posts
I ran Richmond 3.55's in my 31 Model A coupe and my 65 Fairlane. Both cars run a warm 351C. They are still doing fine. Powertrax makes a locker for the 8" that's supposed to be good. There was an instl article in a back issue of Street Rodder.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Uhh, sorry 67Stang. Am I still a member?

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
All the aftermaket 8" gears are basically equal and they all are stronger than the 8" caps(will break and push ring gear out the back) and pinion mounting surface on older single ribbed 8" carriers(will yank the pinion out the front with front of case still bolted to pinion support from weak case). The strength of the gears are the last thing to worry about. I have pulled the pinions thru the front breaking the case and the front of case comes out as one piece with pinion and pinion support on launch and also pushed the ring gears thru the caps many times on launches that were in the 1.40s. The pinion being yanked thru the front was on one old style single ribbed case I had and learned not to use those early cases anymore.

·
Registered
189 Posts
i'm planing on replacing my 2.80 gears and put in 3.55 gears, but as i havent got the money to invest in a limitedslip or locker, i'l probbobly weld it ..

it's crude, but it works .. why pay $100 on a minispool when the welding costs $1 ..

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
$20-$25 for a mini spool of 28 and 31 spline for 8" and 9". That's cheap enough. Shimming the side gears and spiders will work great too for just a few bucks or free if you get them used from a shop.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I dunno. The case looks like the later 8" double rib, clamped sideways (90* from normal orientation) in a vise.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts