Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The battery in the Bronco just wasn't up to starting the 460 this morning in the 1*F weather... I think if I just wait out this cold spell it will be fine for the rest of the year, but it's obvious I'll need a new battery before next winter at the latest so might as well start shopping/researching now.

I've had this battery for 6.5 years, no trouble at all, no leaking, so I think the Delcos are pretty good units. The battery I had before this was also a Delco and it lasted over 5 years... in fact it was fine when I replaced it, I just had the opportunity to get a new one at cost and figured the old one might not have another winter left in it being 5yrs old.

So should I stick with the Delco's, are they still as good as they were 6 years ago, or have you guys (particularly the ones that work at auto shops) had even better experience with another brand?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
If you have the money, go with an optima battery. Stay away from the wal-mart brand Everstart! I get about a year out of them so now I'm either going to get a Sears Diehard or an optima yellow top.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have had the best luck with Motorcraft. I still have the original battery in my 97 F150. I dont think the Delco batteries are as good as they used to be. I see them failing sooner then they use to. I do think they are a decent battery. Interstate also makes a good battery. The optima batteries seem to pricey for me and I dont think they are wourth the money. My dad buys the optima batteries and the dont last as long as the Motorcraft batteries I buy at half the price.

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
Exide, but I use the biggest one I can get. 1200+ ratings or CCA which ever it is. They say a 850-900 amp rating will work. But they don't tell you is that's at 72 degs. At 32 degs you loose 1/2 of your battery's power already from the cold.

·
Registered
110 Posts
my last delcos were 8 and 9 years old in my bronco. they make them in mexico now. now im switching to optimas. we sell them at work and havent had any problems. just dont run an un sealed batt, such a mess!

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
I have been using the ones you get from checker. I had two sitting in the garage and I thought they were totally dead. Put it on the charger and they both came back. One is in my mach 1 and the other we put in my wifes cobra. The optimas are nice if you drive the car everyday. They die if you let the vehicle sit ofr a long time. I've replaced so many red tops for my wifes cobra.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I hate Exide. The majority I see that come into the shop that are only one or two years old wont pass a load test. A lot of discount auto part stores sell Exide.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I bought one of the early, newly-designed 1997 F-150s to hit the lots during the 1996 model year. It still has the original Motorcraft battery, and cranks just as fast as it did new. I've never had a battery last this long and will surely buy a Motorcraft replacement (if the original ever gives up). It would be interesting to know who really supplies Motorcraft its batteries.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
My faith in all betteries has fallen in the last 10 years...

But I'll take any $45 dollar 60 month battery, off anyone's shelf, and still have it 6 years later... I've bought 8$80 dollar batteries for customers and they go to crap in 2 years...
My Cherokee battery came out of my Cadillac, which came out of my 67 F-250 which even served a few day's in my '49 club coupe....
It's still in the jeep working terriffically

I think it's a day of the week thing...

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cool, lots of good input here. Sounds like there's a chance the Delco's quality has gone down (something I've heard elsewhere as well). I was considering the Optima but just not sure they have the reserve capacity that I would like... the battery I have is one of the biggest that I've seen, the specs say it weighs about 80lbs, and I'd like to keep that size/capacity if possible. I really like what I'm hearing about the Motorcraft batteries, so as long as they still make them as good as they did back ~10 years ago when you guys bought yours then I think I'd probably be happy with them. Where can I find a Motorcraft battery, other than the Ford dealership?

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
My truck back home has Interstate MT 65 batteries, my Daytona has a red top optima, and my old 64 Galaxie had a trio of Stinger SP1000, which are the same as the Odyssey batteries.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I prefer Motorcraft batteries.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Optima Red top for starting. Optima yellow if your accessories are more than the alternator can handle. (get a new alternator! Go red.)
Ive had my 75/25 red top since 2001. It served me well in my Pinto under daily use (right next to my header) till the V8 conversion. In the time of non use for the last 3-4 years I'm now ready to use it again and its now coming back again from FULL discharge (10.5v) back to 12.8 12.7v charged. This will be the 2nd time i recharged it because of non- use and its charging like champ.

The biggest thing for me is I HATE battery acid leakage, and corrosion on the terminals. Optima batteries don't have those problems.

Heres a link to the optima website, FAQ's

http://www.optimabatteries.com/publish/optima/americas0/en/config/product_info/technology/faq.html#000100010008

5.0 block,B303,1.7 Rockers,beehives,'68 ported heads,Coated custom Must II headers,Edlb Airgap,Holley570,Msd Billet,Crane HI 6,Milodon 8 quart Deep Pan,2.5" 40 Flowmasters.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 71hotrodpinto on 1/14/07 7:18am ]</font>

1 - 20 of 57 Posts