Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi-Ya all,
The calking Ford used on body seams in 1962. Naturally, I have to replace some of that in the areas I'm replacing the sheet metal and such...

Where can I find the right stuff? OR, is the home calking, or RTV, or Silicone, the stuff to use today?.

Also, does the calking go on the bare metal, or should it go over the primer?.

Any heads up on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

· Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You don't want to use home chalking or RTV. You want to use a automotive seam sealer from a auto paint and supply. For inexpensive you could go with 3M Fast n Firm which uses a normal chalking gun. or step up to 3M UltraPro urethane which is more money and you need special applicator, But is better sealer. There are also 2k products like Automix but even more money and more expensive applicator.

You want to primer first then seam seal.

I use Fast n Firm alot and it is pretty good.
If you have access to the special applicator the UltraPro is really good but pricey.

Never tried the 2K.

On my own car I used panel bonding adhesive for all seams but it is pretty pricey, needs special applicator/gun and is put down on bare metal.

Fast n Firm is not bad if you don't want to spend alot.

There are other brands that people have used that seem to work well also. My supplier sells 3M

You want to make sure you completely seal the whole seam. wear neoprene gloves, press/rub the sealer into seam with finger, and feather the edge. any gap(s) at all and you can have seam failure

Lou
Okay... Instead of the seam sealer. How about using the undercoat spray stuff?. Where I have to seal is unseen anyway. It's adjacent to where ford used undercoating. It's the spot between the front door and behind the rear of the front fenders.

I have planned on using the undercoating in the wheel wells, as it was from Ford. I think it would be better to use the undercoating in the area, at least to the front doors, where the water runs down from the cow. Yes? No?...

Thanks

· Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You really do need to use the 3M seam sealer for any area where you chipped/scraped the old out or put in new metal. It may take years to know why but you will eventually know if you keep the car.
Could I use Bondo?. Mostly where I need to use some stuff is where I replaced or cleaned up the metal. There is sooo much area on the car that will be replaced or cleaned up. The "stuff" alone will cost me several hundred dollars of the 3M stuff.

Nothin' else like around 10 bucks a tube?.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.