Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody

...my first post

I am planing a 393 or 408 for my 69 Mustang. The car is not raced but I want a strong street engine with lots of torque at low/midrange rpm

planed specs:

351W stroked to 393 or 408 ci.
comp. ratio around 10.5 to 11
TFS Wedge Heads with 2.02 / 1.60 valves
Crane roller cam conversion with a std. base circle cam
Roller rockers

G-Force T5 tranny with 3.50 rearend.

I´d like to have max. HP at around 5000 - 5500 rpm and max. torque at around 3500rpm.
What torque and hp numbers can I expect?

What cam would you recommend for this application?
Should it be a custom grind?
What about the B303 or E303 from Ford?

Thanks for your info!

Regards from Germany
Andy

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Forget the Ford grinds and the suggestion you are going to receive !! Call Comp Cams up and order a custom grind and tell them exactly what you want.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Welcome aboard StangFan!

Read this FM article before you call a cam tech line. Good info on what to expect:

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2005/02/CamYouHelpMe/index.php

For some truly personalized service you might consider one of the more well known "custom cam gurus" like Buddy Rawls, Ed Curtis or Jay Allen. All of them have good reps and proven performance results.

A set of custom spec's from one of them would be about $35. And they ask all the right questions and lots of them.

In your particular application a custom cam may be overkill. I know when I first contacted Buddy Rawls about a cam for a 302 he suggested something off the shelf for my application. He has since spec'd 2 cams for me. One for a 331 stroker and my current 408 project which has a solid flat tappet.

Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Alot of those other guys suggested above are a good choice to. no matter if you go with a custom or off the shelf grind, talk with one or all of the pro's mentioned.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Have you decided on what stroker kit and or cam yet? Im using my existing TW heads for a stroker...leaning mostly towards the 393. Its going to be a "mild" street/strip type combo and staying with hyd flat tappet cam for cost and simplicity. Im looking for peak hp at 6000-6500 rpm max shift points.

81 Mustang 351W/AOD 12.13 111.7
87 octane...street and highway driven.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: qtrhors on 4/3/06 2:59am ]</font>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts