Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is in a 4r100 in my 2001 F-250, but I figure the principle is probably the same. Haven't had much luck elsewhere. I haven't pulled it apart yet, but there are 5 or 6 pieces of a snap ring, and what looks like sweeping from my garage floor after 1/2 hour with a die grinder in the pan
Based on how the tranny is acting I'd say it's probably low reverse drum snap ring, as a guess. 1-2 and 2-3 shifts are really messed up, probably from all the crap floating around. 2nd, 3rd and OD all hold fine.

I think I'll pull the pump and just take a peek, but I won't be rebuilding this one. Probably go with a rebuild from BTS. It's still in the truck for now.

This puts a dent in my hot rod fund, that's for sure.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I have seen broken belville springs before (the circular spring plate) and they usually get into the piston and chaff it up. I guess it also possible that it could get jammed in there and break the snap ring. With abit of luck, it may not be too bad.
Good luck...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I find out soon enough.

When in first gear, it started out more or less normally, but then feels like it goes into neutral.

The funny thing is, it was driving fine, I got on the freeway for about 80 miles, and it started acting up when I got on the offramp. I've heard the snap rings are a week point on the 4r100, they even sell a spiral lock ring.

The error code that finally came up was a 2-3 shift error. The 2-3 shift is bad, but 1-2 is way worse. 2nd locks up hard enough to cause the serpentine belt to slip.

I haven't driven it in a week, and my tranny is on the way. I went with a stage III from Phoenix Remanufactured Transmissions (Phoenix Hard Parts). Couldn't really afford the Brian's Truck Stop unit at $4000. Alto power packs, extra clutches, and a triple clutch lockup converter. I'll be out of town next week, so it's Friday or I have to wait another week.

·
Registered
247 Posts
There is an updated one way diode (clutch). There is a Ford tsb that explains it, I don`t know the # off the top of my head, but you sound like a candidate.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, I've got the number here somewhere. 01 was an odd year for the 4r100 it looks like. I found a couple references for rebuild kits where 01 could upgrade from the one way diode, to a 50 roller sprag, where all the other years upgrade the factory sprag to 45 rollers. 2 places worded it like that. Maybe 01 was the only year with the diode like the 4r70w's.

I've got a book coming. I'm going to pull the tranny apart to make sure all the hard parts are ok before I send it in for a core. I need to call them to make sure but it sounds like it's an all or nothing core policy. If one of the drums is damaged I can find a replacement for cheap and get the core back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts