Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I had my amp wired correctly to run an mp3 player or cd player as illustrated in the tech forum. I didn't run the power switch to a keyed power source as advised but ran power from the battery to the amp and from the the battery to a switch and from the switch to the amp. I thought the idea was that the switch would interrupt the power going to the amp.

Somehow I still have a power drain on the battery. Did I wire the switch wrong? I went from the battery to the switch, to ground and then to the amp. The light on the switch goes on and off and seems to turn off the amp.

Any ideas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
What do you mean you went to switch then to ground. That is ridiculous.
Battery, switch, amp, then ground. The switch acts like the keyed source (which essentially is a switch). The drain is beacuse somewhere the interrupt has not done it. Amps have a big direct battery wire, a remote (swiched) wire and a +12volt wire, then a big ground wire. Hope that helps.

_________________
To many premadonnas in this world!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: brotherdon on 8/4/06 10:49am ]</font>
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
21,759 Posts
ran power from the battery to the amp and from the the battery to a switch and from the switch to the amp. I thought the idea was that the switch would interrupt the power going to the amp.
Going by what you typed here (which could be an error) you ran 2 wires from the battery. One to the switch and one to the amp. I think you should be saying from battery to switch and then switch to amp.

I need to do that also as I don't drive my car much so the battery has a constant drain.

Deb
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,506 Posts
You need to run a large wire to the amp, size varies depending apon how much draw is required due to wattage. You then need a wire for the turn on lead. This one usually is conected to the "Power Ant" or "Power-On" that is on the deck. Each amplifier has these two power sources as well as a ground. Make sure the ground wire is the same size as the power wire. Very common mistake made by novices and do-it-yourselfers.

If you wired the "Turn-On" lead to the battery without a switch it will draw from the battery.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
125 Posts
The "turn on" terminal on the amp is often called REM, for remote. This allows you to run a large guage wire from the positive terminal of the battery to the positive terminal of the amp, and the negitive terminal of the amp to a clean chassis ground, (or back to the battery if your a guru) without running it through a switch. Which may not be rated for high current. Then you run a small guage wire from positive to the switch, and from the switch to the Power on or REM terminal. The amp manual might have a wireing diagram as well.

As for the battery drain, the description was a bit confusing. Just make sure you are not shorting your positive battery wire to the chassis before it gets to the amp, since the car body is tied to the negitive terminal of the battery. Dont know if this helps you as everyones electrical knowledge is different. Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok just to be clear: I ran the heavy gauge power wire from the Amp to the Pos battery terminal. I ran the remote power wire from the amp which can go to the "Power Ant" or "Power-on" to an auxillary switch. The amp is grounded to the body and the switch is wired to the pos. battery terminal, the remote power wire from the amp and I ran ground wire from the switch to the body case there was place for it on the switch. This sounds to me like the description that boutime gave(except for the ground wire from the switch)

So maybe the positive battery terminal is grounded before reaching the amp. The remote power wire from the amp runs to the switch and the switch is grounded and then wire goes from switch to pos. battery terminal. So I think running a ground wire from the switch before going to the amp was wrong? Why is there a ground wire terminal on the switch?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,369 Posts
If The positive terminal was grounded you would see sparks or blow a fuse. Where we are all confused is why you are running a switch. As explained earlier, your deck has a built in switch which is called either - power antenna, amp on,or remote on. WHen you turn on your deck, It turns the power on to external sources like amps or power antennas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,589 Posts
If your headunit has a power antenna lead coming out, Just hook the remote wire to it. This will work provided the radio on a switched source too, It may be your power draw.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My 62 Galaxie doesn't have a power ant, or a remote on the head unit, it is an original am radio. The switch is needed because running the remote wire from the amp to a keyed power source on the fuse block on the headlight switch seems unlikely given it's location etc.
I think that boutTime's diagram has shown me the problem. I incorrectly ran a ground wire from the switch. So, as he suggested I was ground the positive bat terminal to the body before reaching the amp. I will disconnect the ground from the switch to the car body and see if that works.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
I guess fuses near the battery are automatically implied. Any one else reading for reference should make sure your + lines are fused near the source.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
125 Posts
YUP! I should have put that in the diagram. What rating i guess would be up to the size of wire and the power requirements of the amp. Putting a fuse holder inline with your power going to the amp would at least prevent a direct short again. Anybody got an idea of what he should use?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a 25 amp fuse in the power line running from the amp to the battery. What I am wondering is whether the switch is wired wrong because I wired the remote power line from the amp to the switch and ran a wire from the battery to switch and then grounded switch.

Is a ground on the switch proper or is it draining the battery?
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top