Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get together a rough idea of what parts I want for my small-block ranger project this summer, and I was wondering what ignition most people run on something that'll redline at around 7K? I've got a Mallory Unilite vacuum advance with a Promaster coil in the Bronco, and it's been 100% trouble-free since I got the Bronco in '95. Of course, the 460 in the Bronco only turns about 4500rpm, so this is gonna be a little different application. Would a Unilite be a good choice for my application? What about vacuum advance? I'm planning on something like a Comp Magnum 282 solid lifter cam and a single plane intake, so I dunno if vacuum advance would be a bad thing. It's going to be a mostly street/some strip setup. Thanks.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Motorhead on 4/30/02 1:57pm ]</font>

·
Registered
154 Posts
I think that an MSD would be best for your application. Go with a pro billet distributor and an MSD 6a box. Blaster 2 for the coil. MSD is top quality and will easily rev to 7k. Mallory has some nice products, but nothing that can compare to MSD in my opinion

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, is Mallory in your experience just less reliable, or doesn't perform as well, or what?

Also, what is the advantage of the Pro-billet distributor over the standard MSD distributor? And do the electronic ignition boxes really improve performance? Having a rev limiter would be nice, but other than that I didn't really think I needed to buy an ignition box...

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
I ran Mallory unilites (ugh), in my previous brand x vehicle. (7 different engines/combos). Puked 2 different unilite distributors. Finally saw the LIGHT, and purchased a billet msd unit. I've never looked back.
As far as the 6AL unit, (msd), highly recommend it for street/strip, and/strip. Easily adaptable to 2steps, retard boxes, whatever you want to plug into it. Again, My .002..........MSD rocks! (also they've got excellent tech support!

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
I've run the Jacobs Computers with lots of luck, really increased the power. OF course I've never seen any RPM over about 6000, but with a stock ford duraspark dizzy runnin with a Jacobs box and coil, I've had no engine missfires or other problems. Noticed quite a jump in MPG when it was installed on my 460, went from 8 to 10 mpg. ITs now currently installed on my 351c. Not only did I notice an increase in power and mileage, I noticed I could run 1st gear out to about 63 mph, versus 55 with the stock duraspark unit I installed shortly after getting the car (I hate points). Also the jacobs unit has a very nice anti-theft feature.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
I turn 7 grand and run all MSD. It works extremely well. I particularly like the advance setup on the MSD distributors. They look fairly bullet proof to me. I wouldn't run a vacuum advance.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I did some research on the MSD web site, and I think I'm sold on their stuff now, LOL! Just the look of the Pro Billet distributors compared to the Mallory stuff is no contest. I didn't know that the ignition boxes are required on most MSD distributors. That, along with the added cost of the distributor alone brings the total cost up to about $500 for distributor, 6AL, and coil, vs. about $250 for a more standard distributor and coil. Tough call on a budget buildup.

Anyone have any experience with the Holley stuff? A billet distributor and Laser Shot Street coil would be about $300, but I don't know if it would work well in the upper R's, or if they are reliable.

I'll probably end up going MSD, maybe I'll be able to pick up some parts off Ebay for cheap... but hopefully not dead parts, so far I've been lucky with Ebay

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I forgot to ask... do you have any oppinions on the MSD Ready-To-Run Street Pro-Billet distributors? It costs about $25 more than the standard Pro-Billet distributor, but it doesn't require an ignition box, so that would allow me to put off buying the 6AL until a later time. Is there anything about these distributors that makes them less reliable or less desireable than the standard Pro-Billets?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Motorhead on 5/1/02 1:48pm ]</font>

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Keep your eyes open i just found in the local paper a pro billet distributor the one that will clears a vic jr intake for 135 new 235 also found a brand new csi remote water pump for 150 less then new. You see the msd stuff all the time on ebay. I had an all ford set up in my falcon to start with when i put the msd in it was a big diffrents it idled a lot better and in genral ran better a higher rpms i wouldnt go back for anything and yah the whole setup buying new for summit for an 302 was 450. bucks but it was worth it.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
You can find new 6al boxes for 200 or so, during sales at different spots. Also, a blaster 3 coil (or 2), is only 30 some bucks or so. The dist I've seen on sale for around 200-225. Even still, if the stuff lasts practically forever, and takes a major beating, how can you beat that?..........

1 - 12 of 12 Posts