Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm thinking of taking the c-4 out of my 1968 mustang and putting in a T-5. I'm running a 302. Already have stock clutch pedal setup for it. I guess most people just take them out of Foxbody mustangs, so what will I need to scavenge from a donor car or buy do to the swap. Thanks,
Jess

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
What year 302? After 1983, they had a different balance... so the flywheel will have to match. If you have a later engine, you can use everything from a FOX mustang. If you have an earlier engine, you can use everything except the flywheel. There are conversion flywheels that are just like the FOX units, but with the earlier balance.

You will also need to convert to a cable style clutch. Go to mustangsteve.com He has a nice cable clutch setup, along with a ton of great info.

Of course, you'll need a T5 cross member, and you'll need to make sure your driveshaft is still the right length. The site hottarod posted will cover some of the details.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I guess all I would need to know now is which weight of flywheel is for early or late motors. I think that it's a 1968 motor, don't really know if it's a 289 or 302 since its not the original (was a 6cyl). And montybrown, when I get ready to do the swap, I'll pm you to buy one of those flywheels if you've still got them. Thanks guys

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
Pre-'82 model year small-block engine = 28 oz.
1982 and up small block (except 351W) = 50 oz.

You need a 28. If you are using a T5 bell housing, then it needs to be 157-tooth. If using an adapter and a different bell housing - then whatever that bell housing needs.

David

·
Registered
33 Posts
There are a couple ways of doing it based on the bell housing you choose to go with. I include prices I paid for the parts. I can supply the vendors if someone needs them
I went with a T5 bell housing and here is my parts list:

T5 transmission (used 350)
T5 bell housing (used 25)
T5 block plate (20)
28 oz flywheel that mounts a 10 1/2 clutch (110)
I went with a hydraulic clutch actuator (225)
10 1/2 inch King Cobra clutch package (140)
T5 clutch fork (20)
ARP flywheel and clutch bolts (30)
New Transmission cross member and rubber mount (140)
Possibly a new yoke (check fit first)
Check drive shaft for 1/2 to 3/4" free play (new aluminum drive shaft 300)
New speedometer gear (5)

More info I put together on the T5 swap:
How to ID a T5
T5
Hydraulic clutch
Drive shaft
3.55 Trac Lok Rear

1 - 7 of 7 Posts