Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '85 Mustang LX 5.0. Runs & drives fine...but needs a U-joint and body work. A friend of mine (body & paint man) has a '62 Falcon Sprint...set up as a street radial drag car, has a 8 pt cage already in it, 9" rear, set up for a 351w/C4...comes with headers, mounts, cowl hood...etc.

Anyway, he wants to swap cars. I love the early Falcon body style...and this one is straight as an arrow, just needs primer/paint. I want to make a street car though, and not a big ol V8 car....I was thinking of using one of the turbo 2.3 engines I have laying around and driving it a few days a week to work.

You think I'm nuts for even considering it?

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
Your not nuts for considering the trade. I would do it in a second! Although, your engine choice for that car, might get you in a rubber room! What a waste. It's already set-up for a 351W & C4.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Randy...I know. I have a 408 stroker on the stand ready to drop in complete with a set of RPM old style heads...and a 461" windsor (4.155 bore 4.25" stroke) going together as we speak...but don't have any heads for it. I could do either one...or take the C9 block and put a stock stroke windsor together for it. But, out of the three, I doubt that any of them would do any better on fuel than my Lightning does (about 15 mpg)....and I have always LOVED the turbo 2.3 engine.

I am going to call the guy & go take a second look at the Falcon and make sure it's what I think it is. I may be the new owner in a few hours!

·
Registered
293 Posts
I ran a tri-powered 200 I-6 in a '62 ranchero. I think its great when someone goes away from the mainstrean. I agree too, I really like the turbo 2.3's.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I agree that something different is definately nice to see. And a 2.3 Turbo would really make an old Falcon scoot. But, in this case with the car already being set-up for a 351W, I would just go with that. Drop that 408 in it and let it eat!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
On 2006-06-01 19:17, mavman wrote:
On 2006-06-01 17:00, metalsmythe wrote:
Just go with a flathead.
Don't tempt me
I have a couple sitting behind the garage and the thought has entered my head many times. I figure its only a matter of time before I throw one in a Maverick or something and stencil the "Flatheads Forever" on the fenders.

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
I would take that trade in a heart beat. And put the 408 or 461 in it. Then, get another lil' Falcon, a stock one, and do the 2.3 turbo in it. The Falcon you're talking about now with the cage and all is set up to handle a ton of torque. As fun as the 2.3 turbo is, you'd be wasting all that cage, etc., on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts