Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I'm intrigued... A throttlebody type setup with large capacity injectors self computed from coolant temp sensors and a wifde band o2 sensor...
Not a lot to go to **** on it but the sensors and the computer...
Easy install....
Too bad they don't make this to fit my 200 I6....

I wonder how reliable it will be and how truely smooth it will make an engine run....

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I sent em an email asking if they needed a test mule! Maybe they'll send me one to try out! Hah!

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
haha just saw that in hot rod. Looked great there, i was going to go to the website and check it out. Came here first and there it was. HAHA. Wonder if it will be all its cracked up to be.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Wonder what the price will be around. I bet it will be pretty reasonable because all of them will be the same and many will be produced.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm going to be the skeptic here and say that there is no replacement for dyno-tuning an EFI motor. If you're going all out, there's no way I'd get that. It's bound to leave power on the table. I'd love to see the software that goes with it and how exactly it tunes itself. If it just tunes to AFR you're bound to destroy a motor in a hurry. Along with AFR, you need to be able to tune off of vacuum in the least. What about your cold start enrichment? You need to be able to let it know what the coolant temp is so that works. IAT sensors maybe? There's so much that the standalone aftermarket EFI ECU's tune off of it gets confusing real quick...heck, a stock EFI system takes more into account than what that 'RetroTek' unit says it does.

Just because it says it will tune to the most efficient spot, that doesn't mean that it's going to tune for most power. Most motors will make max power at a slightly richer AFR than stoich. So how do you fix that? You put it on the dyno and you tune it...There goes the 'self tuning' feature.

Another thing is, "what happens if you want to control the spark as well as fuel?" You obviously have to go out and spend more money on an ignition box that will be able to handle custom timing curves. Such as the MSD Digi 7 series. We're talking a LOT of cash for one of those boxes. Something that could be taken care of with one of those aftermarket standalone EFI systems with an ignition box as simple and cheap as the MSD 6 series(I actually opted for the Mallory that was $100 cheaper).

I'd rather go with a single ECU that will do everything. Of course the initial startup cost and the time to set it up is going to be greater, but which one is going to reap the benefits of being adjustable on every front you can imagine? I understand that I'm talking about a full on motor that very few people are going to build but i'd hate to see someone spend however much it is for one of those RetroTek systems just to be unhappy with it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: phate on 11/21/06 8:56am ]</font>

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just went and reread it once again and it must have a MAP sensor in there somewhere...it can be used with either a draw-thru or blow-thru forced induction setup.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
I bet it's not cheap.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I bet it is not what they claim it to be. How does it calculate the injector pulsewidth, other than using a MAP and WBO2? You could easily have 1000 CFM of air going into the engine and a A/F of 12.5:1...and still kill pistons, gaskets, heads, etc. I've been around EFI "just" enough to know that this EFI is going to be like the Windsor valley girdles. Great idea, but it ain't gonna fly.

You want an EFI for cheap? Get a Megasquirt.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Megasquirt=EFI capability beyond any of the plug and play units if you take the time to set it up. You just have to tell it what to do, when to do it, and how to do it and the possibilities are endless. You could easily do a MS setup for less than $600 including WBO2 sensor. You'll learn more than you could ever imagine about efi...I have been researching it for quite a while now. There's still a ton more i need to know before I begin to tackle the tuning part of it but I understand whats going on for the most part. This new RetroTek thing seems to be a 'too good to be true' item and that's sometimes a bad thing.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Yeah, we've run a bunch of different EFI setups on the OU race car, and pretty much all of the universities agree that Megasquirt is by far the most versatile system for tuning fuel ratios.

There are far better ones for overall engine/data management, but none so cheap, and great with fuel tuning.

I'm sure this one has a MAP and MAT sensor, and a TPS for enrichment. It's not like it'd be hard to plumb it into the baseplate to read pressure. You don't need a mass air flow sensor to be able to tune the AFR.

From what the website was saying, you actually have to load a fuel map, and you can also adjust the fuel map with their software. I'm sure it would be tunable. But its marketed to the "bolt on and go" crowd. You load up a map, 95% of which are going to be for close to stock engines, and away the customer goes.

Without a mass air sensor you need to have a decent fuel map before you start. It gets close, then the computer tweaks pulsewidth's until it gets it right.

I'd be more worried about the fuel pump exploding, myself. It modulates it on and off to keep a certain fuel pressure. That has to be hard on parts.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Sounds like the "carb" body is a carb-shaped box that houses injectors, TPS, MAP, etc. External is a coolant temp sensor and wide band O2 sensor. The unit is meant to replace a carb, period. No ignition control functions, just what you ran with your old carb.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Maybe it won't be all that expensive then. If it comes in around 350-400$ it might be a good deal.

Cris

·
Registered
279 Posts
On 2006-11-21 09:07, Is1BadFord wrote:
Maybe it won't be all that expensive then. If it comes in around 350-400$ it might be a good deal.

Cris
don't count on it bein that cheap....i emailed the company and am waiting for a response back as to how much.....maybe we'll find out soon...

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
They are in my home town. Maybe i'll have to look into it further.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts