Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone own one? Need a decent car for the wife. Babys almost here and safety and comfort are the biggest concerns. We were looking at a Saturn L200. Nice car, roomy and alot of nice stardard features. I just don't know a whole lot about them. Haven't really heard anything bad, and they are American. Them seem to be into safety more than anything else. That POS Chevy Tracker she's driving now just aint gonna cut it. Any experiences, hear any stories good or bad?

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
I haven't heard anything bad about a Saturn but my wife and I both liked the Focus very much both for the performance and superb handling with brakes that will put you thru the windshield. We are very happy with the DOHC 2.0L and everything else about the car. I have one 26 month old and another bun in the oven due in mid December but I haven't heard anything bad about them. We did test drive a lot of cars before we bought the Focus and 3 Saturns we did alo but they weren't as responsive with the steering and brakes were OK but was uncomfortable for me to sit in. I'm 6'1" and the Focus gives me plenty of head room and the power seat is comfortable too. Taurus, Contour, Mystique, and ZX1 offered no head room in the back and the Contour/Mystique were like the old Taurus on that non resposive spongy steering and the DOHC V-6 engines are a dog until you hit 4500RPM which then feels like you hit nitrous and torque steer is bad at that point too but it's only offered with an automatic and the gearing. trans ratio are all wrong for that HO V-6 plus the Focus with a DOHC 2.0L will out accellerate and out run it with ease. The Focus is a well balanced package and very affordable. My wife would get rid of me before that Focus but I feel the same way about my '68 Falcon wagon so were in "sync" there. Sorry for the long wind but I thought you should seriously consider a Focus. Take a DOHC 2.0L 5 speed 4dr for a spin and then tell me you want a Saturn

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
The Focus is a ford dealerships bread and butter for warranty work. (don't even get me started on that ****).......

More recalls on that one vehicle than any other 2 put together.

When they do run right, I guess they're an ok car, tho...........

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Have you heard or seen any problems in particular that may be of concern to me? Mine had over 6000 miles on it now and it gets driven hard. Not a problem one yet just like my '00 F-250 SD crew cab offroad 4X4 V-10 w/4.30 gears. 48,000 miles and never a warranty claim or any problems either. Last weekend I accidentally took it well over 6000RPM while down shifting accidentally into 1st instead of 2nd. Factory rev limiter is bypassed and speed limiter is also among other mods but it's still running strong. I'm curently looking for a nitrous kit for it since I barely got beat by a mid 90s Corvetter last Sat night while cruising. I beat some 5.0s and ALL other trucks I was up against but I want the Vettes now for bragging rights. That is one tough truck that I have driven hard since I got it and not a single problem whatsoever. The Focus is the same way but if there is something I should be aware of, I would like to know before it happens. Thanks Drag79Stang

·
Registered
660 Posts
I own a 94 Saturn SL1... 110,000 miles on it so far. Not too many problems, but they have changed considerably since 94. Goes through oil like you can't believe, but it's a problem with that years engine. Still gets 34 MPG on the freeway, pretty gutless though. Noisey as hell inside but I guess they have fixed that. My biggest complaint is that they are designed for a 5'4" girl - Not a 6'2" guy.

Overall not bad, I'm not sure If i'd get another (I married into to this one).

·
Registered
91 Posts
I don't own a saturn...and i sure as hell wouldnt buy one. my friends mom owns a 2001 4 door with an auto. both of us being at the age where we want to take every car to its limits and have fun...we tried doing reverse donuts in the car. after maybe 3 donuts....we had 2 destroyed rims,both control arm mounts? bad, and a couple other things went wrong... His mom insisted on going to the saturn dealership because its new. They charged $2500 to fix it all. anytime they touch that car she gets screwed. Plus im pretty sure there warranty sucks. We did the same thing in my friends Honda...No problems at all. My new ranger takes hell everyday and no problems, same with my dads new f-250 with the v-10...I just think the saturn is too cheap and a piece of junk. What if you dont see a speed bump and go over it doing 45....plan on recycling it. Oh and god those focuses are ugly.....! Hate to say it but in thise case id buy a honda. Good Luck, Ryan

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
I drove a tow truck for 5 years & never towed one. I know several people that swear by them. I won't buy a GM car but if I were to... It would be a Saturn.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
I've got a buddy that rebuilds them. From talking with him I have gathered the following info. He sees a lot of original motors and drivetrains go to 200K. A lot of their rebuilders have 100K plus when they get them. I've ridden in a few of them and they are ok for a little car. They are not as smooth riding as a mid-size car, but the mileage is better. All of the external body panels are plastic. They have a DOHC engine that "peppier"(is that a word) than the stocker by quite a bit.
That's my limited experience with them. They are #1: small cars. if you get in a wreck, you will lose. #2: cheap cars. You get what you pay for. They are descent little cars, don't get me wrong. BUT, they are designed to be used, thrown away, and recycled. #3: resale/trade in will not be pretty. They do not hold value very well.
These are my opinions and experiences. Take them or leave them. You know what they say about opinions....they are like assholes, everybody's got one!
Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts