Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Seems like a lot of money for what is basically a factory shortblock, Especially once you factor in shipping.

I would upgrade the pistons if you are considering making more power than stock - they are just cast pistons. Same with the timing set - its not a double roller.

The rest of it looks good, and that would be fine for a stockish build, but NOT the 350+ HP they claim.

I'm sure the upgrades will run you much more than you could find a short block at a shop locally. Keep an eye out at good local machine shops for stuff - we lucked out and got a factory '68 shortblock they guy made for a deadbeat customer for cheap for the '68 mustang.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Mark, where do you live. You should add it to your profile, someone might be able to recommend a local shop.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I bought one of those with the forged piston upgrade, will probably get to fire it up this week. Bought a preassembled short block insted of building my own to meet a deadline. After going over it I found some problems. One, the piston-to-deck heights were not very consistant. A couple pistons were .005 & .006 down in the hole, not too terrible. Four of the pistons were .017. .018, .019 in the hole. I got some thin gaskets to get the quench distances closer. Crankshaft endplay should be .004-.012, this measured .003! Guess they didn't even check it. Loosened the main caps, knocked the crank back and forth with a rubber mallet to seat the thrust bearing, retorqued the main caps. Now it has .005 endplay. The forged pistons are Speedpro. The valve reliefs were not large enough for my 2.02/1.60 valves, had to open up the reliefs some.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts