Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the Galaxie 12 years ago. I kick myself for not taking better care of it. It has sat out side the whole time we have owned it. Anyway, 2 career changes, a mortgage, and two kids later I decided to start back on the car. After pulling all the parts out of the car I found the floor boards are rusted on all four sides. When I bought it they were good. After washing it I found the windshield was leaking and that was what caused the floors to rust. The trunk pan is rusted out and so is the channel that the weatherstrip sits in, see pics. So after this long dissertation, do you think its worth fixing? It does have a 390 truck engine in it with a 3 speed on the tree. I have a extra set of glass and trim for the car as wheel as a 4 speed. The channel is my main concern. As you can see in the picture it has rusted into the body. Thank you for your time and any comments.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Can be fixed but you can purchase one cheaper.
To totally rebuild (engine, body, frame, interior, chrome) you will spend between 25 and 35 thousand and that is no labor included.
I purchased a # 3 Galaxie a couple years back and spent 6K on it and that was NO major engine work, NO interior work but a small tore place in drivers seat bottom and NO paint job.
All money spent was on cleaning, detailing, vinyl top, all shocks, hoses, plugs/wires,repair AC, tires. front end line up, Radio and cleaned, painted and rust treated undercarriage.
All work I did but for the front end.

Fun to build cars but VERY VERY Expensive. As I'm doing a frame off on a car now.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Depends on several factors, how attached you are to the car, your skill level to make the necessary repairs and the thickness of your wallet are a few of them.

I have actually repaired several Starliners in the trunk lip area and have found that in many ways it is easier than replacing the floor pans and is much easier than the trunk floor. It just looks more intimidating to most people. Once you remember that the gasket does the sealing not the channel and you discover then the gasket will hide most of your work it becomes much easier to do.

Just remember they are not making anymore 64's and even if the repairs are not your thing for someone else it might all be in a days work.

Scott...

·
Registered
134 Posts
smokeater
I know where 2 64 2 door ht's are for sale here in South Mississippi. One is a 500xl was 289 auto the other is strat 500 but was p-code 390 3 speed car. Both cars are missing motor,trans,radiator and drive shafts but looked to be solid bodies. He was asking $1,800 for 3 64's but cut up the worst one to part out. pm me if interested and I'll get you his number.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you to those who took their time to read my post and respond. juddp39532 thanks for letting me know about the cars but I live in Georgia. I think at this point I should sell it. I just dont have the funds at this time with work cutting back and furloughs. If I cant sell it then I will see about putting a lean to behind my shop and put some crush and run down. Once again thanks and yah'll have a good day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts