Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got me some 15x3.5 weld draglites for the front to replace my Big TT II's when i go to the track. What kinda of gains if any could i expect. Is 1/10 or 2 out of the question? Is the rolling resistance a big deal when going from a 225/45 to a 165/80? Any thoughts would be great. Thanks..

·
Registered
275 Posts
From my limited experience, you could pick up at least that much. On a friends car we when from a steel wheel 235/75R15 to 15x3.5 weld prostar with a frontrunner tire. Picked up .45 or so, but alot of that was because of improved weight transfer/harder launch. His old fronts were heavier than your TT2's, so who knows.

Eric

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Well as physics go, The thinner the tire the less wind drag, the lighter weight, the eaiser to move, and of course friction. less tire grabbing the road, thus all this issues can really help your et.
Match those up with some Mickey Thomson et drag radials and you can really drop those ets!
Have FUN!

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
You've getting reduced the rolling resistance in the front. Along with less weight. You probably just shaved 30# of the front end. It's also a matter of rolling weight and weight that has to be moved. Trans, driveshaft, diff, axles, brakes, rims and tires are different weight to move then the rest of the car. I have some nice Weld Draglites, 15x8, 4" offset with MT darg slicks on them 28.5x10x15. Used but lots of runs left on them. Tubs with rims screws installed. [email protected]

·
Registered
17 Posts
A buddy of mine had a 97 GT with Cobra R's on it. With that setup (NOT drag radials, just normal street tires), the best he could do was 14.5's.

By switching to Pro Stars (wide/skinny setup, again on street tires), and losing the front swaybar, the car immediately went 13.7's. NO other changes were made.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I saw an article in a magazine a few years back about this subject.They ran a couple of cars in the 13-15 second range and picked up 3-4 tenths by switching to light wieght drag wheels..Then on a 10 second car they did the same experiment and saw virtually no improvement...I've asked this question a few times and have gotten varied answers so I assume each car will respond differently...The factory GT wheels on my mustang weigh in at a whopping 48lbs a peice with radial TAs!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the comments. I actually weighted the wheels on the good ol bathroom scale. The TT's weighed a total of 36lbs more. That's some pretty good weigh off the front.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts