Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just about ready to swap out my 7.5 open rear for a Trac-lok 8.8 rear. What gear lube should use? I have heard about Redline, but really dont know anything about how to select the best oil or how weight affects the performance. The car is a daily driver. It will have 2.73 gears for now, however later this year, I will be changing to 3.73 gears. I need to hold off on a gear swap until I increase the overall tire size, latter this year. It probably will not be doing any kind of drag racing, except a occasional launch onto the highway. I understand that I have to use an additive in the rear, since its a posi. What exactly is the posi lube stuff supposed to do that a quality lube wont? Thanks for info in advance.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I used Royal Purple on my last change but the stuff is a little pricey. A regular 80-90 weight gear lube should be fine for a non severe duty rearend 'specially if you are going to change in a year anyways.

From my understanding, the additive is for the clutches in the "posi". It allows them to "slip" better so they don't clatter and chadder. Don't buy the separate additive if you can it smells awful and the smell sticks to everything.

Look for a lube with the additive already in it. They are the same price as the ones without. If you need to buy the additive separate and the parts store doesn't have it, your local Ford dealership should.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I know the Pennzoil gear lube I just bought had the additive already.

My car is ready and I pick it up tonite! You think there will be much difference between the stock 2.73s and the 4.10s in it now

·
Registered
66 Posts
OH yeah it will definitely be a noticeable diffrence. Keep a close eye on the tach.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I'll try to find gear lube with the additive already in it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Save youself the trouble and get a bottle of the friction modifier seperately. The concentration in the gear lube is too low, I've always had to add a bottle to get the rear to stop chattering.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts