Net loss $5,500 ($65/month)

·
Registered
408 Posts
1968 Country Sedan paid $3900

Carb kit and labor from my bro - $69

Head unit, mount, door speakers, sub box, subs, wiring, and amp - $230

Mr Clean Magic Erasers - $10

Total = $4209 and have a sweet cruiser that needs only a few more tweaks!

Next up on my list is:

Torq Thrust D's with BFG's - $1200

Rear bumper - $???

Exhaust Manifold gasket - $100 or less

Detailing - Free

So far I feel I am doing good and bought a sweet 99% rust free car that I can drive anywhere and take the 2 kids too! I am coming from a 75 Gran Torino that was way too built with a 347 Stroker, C6, 4.56 gears and a roll cage. Could barely drive anywhere with the 3 inch exhaust that cut off under the front seats! It was a sweet ride but too much to cruise with a family. ;)

Oh and I really feel that if I took this car as is right now to the local end of April Jefferson Swap meet I could sell her for closer to $7K

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Running total since 1969?

No idea, except for the initial purchase cost, $750.

But, over the past three years, about $5,400 for the new engine, installation, new interior, and overall "freshening" (hood padding, trunk weatherstrip, etc).

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'm doing a complete ground up restore on a 65 391 ft build to 428 spec,c-6 , 3:50 gears. As of right now the car is in the paint shop and I'm up to about $11,000.00 I still have about $7,000.00 in parts to go. It could end up costing $19,000.00 to $20,000.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Randy, hope you can keep to your budget.
I'm doing an off frame car build and I've spent 18 and expect to spend 10 more. And I'm doing 90% of the work myself.

How about posting a couple photos of your build.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Kemp, I sure hope so. I'm like you, doing allmost all my work. The only thing I did not do and that's painting the car. I got it allready to paint to cut down on the cost. You are right on the cost, you get alot of surprize in restoring. I have alot of pictures of the build. I got a web site [email protected] and click on r galaxie.

·
Registered
622 Posts
i bought my convertible for $2400 and in great shape. so far I've put close to $10k into it but most of it is in the engine so if i ever try to sell the car I'll put in a Junkyard 429 in it and still sell it for good money!

·
Registered
622 Posts
1968 Country Sedan paid $3900

Carb kit and labor from my bro - $69

Head unit, mount, door speakers, sub box, subs, wiring, and amp - $230

Mr Clean Magic Erasers - $10

Total = $4209 and have a sweet cruiser that needs only a few more tweaks!

Next up on my list is:

Torq Thrust D's with BFG's - $1200

Rear bumper - $???

Exhaust Manifold gasket - $100 or less

Detailing - Free

So far I feel I am doing good and bought a sweet 99% rust free car that I can drive anywhere and take the 2 kids too! I am coming from a 75 Gran Torino that was way too built with a 347 Stroker, C6, 4.56 gears and a roll cage. Could barely drive anywhere with the 3 inch exhaust that cut off under the front seats! It was a sweet ride but too much to cruise with a family. ;)

Oh and I really feel that if I took this car as is right now to the local end of April Jefferson Swap meet I could sell her for closer to $7K
honestly i dont think ive personally ever seen any 65+ galaxie actually sell for $7k. thats just the reality of it. that includes convertibles.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Original purchase price = $4000

Sold for $900 and bought back for 1600 = $700 difference

Parts car = $1000

Vintage Accell dual point dizzy off ebay= $ 40

Misc brake parts = $ 400

Vintage Edel. alum. Dual quad intake with Carter AFB carbs and linkage = $ 650

Est. parts cost for enging internals = $ 4800

Est machine work = $ 1400

Est C-6 build cost = $ 1700

Est paint and body supplies cost $ 2500

Misc. interior restoration parts = $ 1600

Est. Wheels and tires $ 2200

Other est misc parts = $2000

Est. total to complete = $ 22,190

I am really thinking it will be around 25000 - 28000 by the time it's done

That's how I am looking at my build.

Tommy

·
Registered
977 Posts
150.00 car
712.54 master rebuild kit
212.00 booster/master cylnder
229.45 carb.
-------
This is not counting the presents, gift cards and stuff I traded for or the HOURS of tinkering with her'' PRICELESS" Still have along way to go.I can still cruise in her.
I'll be starting on the 63 Mercury Montery Convet. tues. " MAYBE"
To quote a wise man( the wheater guessers are calling for rain all next week)

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LA, you need to be kicked off this forum. You are not even trying. $1,393.99 is pathetic!!!

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Running total since 1969?

No idea, except for the initial purchase cost, $750.

But, over the past three years, about $5,400 for the new engine, installation, new interior, and overall "freshening" (hood padding, trunk weatherstrip, etc).

Dug up some old paper files from 1975.

So, I'm missing 1969 to 1975, but it looks like $14,500 spent on the car since 1975, including initial purchase, oil changes, air filters, etc.

·
Registered
977 Posts
LA, you need to be kicked off this forum. You are not even trying. $1,393.99 is pathetic!!!
Sorry you feel that way . Don't hate me for being simple . I've been KICKED many times so, if you feel you the need to kick me off . GO AHEAD.. But your sadly mistaking about me not TRYING. I know how to do 90% of the work myself and don't have to pay someone to BUILD MY CAR. . It was FUN ..

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
My wife kept all the receipts on our 65( mostly to complain about later)

Neighbor/ friend Ben gave us the car - his health was failing, couldn't do anything with it, was his first new car, etc...
Total on all the steel/nuts/bolts/parts/paint/etc was just under 4000, but lots and lots of hours that year...tried to give it back when it was roadworthy again, but he wouldn't take it...but he at least did get to drive it one more time before he passed away. He sure loved this old car...

Probably only worth 1/2 what we put in it, as its a 'amateur patchwork quilt' underneath, plain jane 4 door, but its got a lot of sentimental value...if it ever has to be gotten rid of, will probably need to cut it up for liability reasons(homemade frame- couldnt sell it, gotta keep a eye on it although it looks good as the day we put it back together so far) anyways, hope that day never comes

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
Sorry you feel that way . Don't hate me for being simple . I've been KICKED many times so, if you feel you the need to kick me off . GO AHEAD.. But your sadly mistaking about me not TRYING. I know how to do 90% of the work myself and don't have to pay someone to BUILD MY CAR. . It was FUN ..
doing it yourself and really watching for bargains you can do a lot with a little... we pieced together a 'scrapyard ready' Mark VII over the summer for my 16 yr old son, 300 for the car, total of about 1200 all up- almost half of that was for the new tires...suspension/ brakes/ fuel system/ tuneup/ tranny adjustments/ exhaust/ welded some patches in the body/ basecoat-clearcoat repaint (I did give him my old Mark for spare parts, and we used a lot off that rusted hulk). the oldest two kids and I probably had around 200 hours in it- they were mostly learning, and that they did...many trips to the (2) local pull-a-part yards, was fun, and he is really proud of it, paid for everything on his own from his summer job- biggest lesson learned was how easy it is to spend vs earn...think he spent at least 500 in gas over the summer driving it :) the paintjob isnt great, but for 125 in materials I am still surprised how good it turned out.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
$400 for the car

Couple parts cars, 4 speed, crazy motor build, buy sell, buy sell, buy sell, that helps offset the cost. Goal is $10,000 out of pocket to complete it but thats a lofty goal and a lot of work. Have done great selling extra stuff we have to help and got some real deals on cool parts. With oout all the wheeling and dealing it would be a easy $20k+ when its done. Of course if you added our labor it would be insane.

I think we could sell it for half of our investment but we could part it out and nearly recoupe it all. LOL thats how all my cars are, they are worth more in parts than in running condition.

Its a work in progress!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 39 Posts