Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 69 Stang with Hooker's super comps. I like the performance but the ground clearance is a pain. What headers are you guys running and how is the performance/ground clearance?

I'm planning to increase the front end drop by another inch that's there now and no way will it work with my headers scraping the pass. side already. Headman headers maybe? Thanks, any input?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm pretty sure you will run into clearance issues with Headman as well.
My situation is very similar as I am going to be replacing my Hooker Super Comps (that cracked #8 tube after bottoming out) with a set of Headers by Doug. Supposed to have great clearance and are well made.

·
Registered
780 Posts
What motor is in the 69? Do the pipes hit or is it the flange? My Hooker Super Comps have the flange aligned with the widest part pointing down. Bad design to say the least. If the flang is the problem you could cut them off and slide a 3" pipe over the collector or just rotate the flange for best alignment and weld them back on.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
I was running the Hooker Comp headers on my 351C in the 73 ... hung too low for my satisfaction.

When I did the BB swap I went with a set from FPA. They are essentially "Shorty Headers" so clearance is not problem and I know Stan makes lots and lots of headers ... you might give him a call and see what he has to say.

http://www.fordpowertrain.com/contactus.htm <--- contact link

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info so far. My 69 has the 351w and TKO 5spd (I couldn't find if Doug's makes headers for that combo) and the passenger header collector flange scrapes the road sometimes at speed and on tall speed bumps. The way it was put together is weird-it's angled down for no apparent reason(at least to me). The drivers side is at least an inch higher. I like the headers otherwise so I was thinking of cutting the collector itself across about midpoint, grind it a little to get a better angle and reweld it. The guys at the nearby muffler shop just wanted to cut the collector shorter in length to make for more clearance but I don't think I like that idea much-what do you guys think?

·
Registered
780 Posts
I am pretty sure I have the same headers. My collectors angle down a bit. My flanges are welded on with the widest part of the flange pointing down. Both collectors are at the same height off the ground. The flange or collectors have not hit anything yet on mine. We have lots of speed bumps here. My front end is also lowered ~1.5 in when I cut 3/4 of a turn off my front springs. Another option may be to take the headers off and attach them onto something fixed put a 2x4 inside the collector and bend them up. You could cut the flange of with a power hack saw and reweld the flanges on with the narrow part on the bottom.

·
Registered
20 Posts
just take out the headres and cut a inch out of each tube and weld them back together it would only be a couple of hours of work.

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
Get some fordpowertrain headers. They fit very well. I couldn't find the pic I was looking for (straight shot from the back) but here is one of the underside from the side of my 68 cougar. 410 windsor FPA headers, 4-speed.

I'll keep looking for the photo from the rear that shows how good the ground clearance really is.

Hope this helps

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cain on 12/19/06 10:12pm ]</font>

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
I have 1 351w in my 67 vert, Dougs headers made my headers, they are 1 3/4 3/4 length try y's and they dont hang under the car at all, dougs headers is the REAL Doug Thorley who sold the company years ago, he still answers the phone and they are the best set of headers I have ever bought, they fit perfect and are built like a rock, not cheap but worth every penny.

theres pics on my page

my 67 vert http://htwheelz.smugmug.com

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have 2 inch primary accufab headers with ball socket flanges. The fit tighter than any other headers I have used on it especially considering the tube size. $650 if I remember right and I fit them before I sent them out for ceramic coating. Took a little ball peaning.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts