Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to make some more power out of my 79 flat tappet cam, carbed 351w that is in my 67 mustang. I'm looking to make around 500hp. I'm hoping to achieve this through heads, cam, intake etc. I'm over whelmed by the amount of data and tech behind selecting the correct heads to match a cam along with the correct pushrods, rockers etc. knowing heads are going to be the most expensive my budget for heads is around $1,200. I understand that this kinda limits me but things can be bought in stages. so what are some of your combinations or recommendations.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Is the car just for street, or street/strip use?

You might want to check out the Blueprint Engines heads. You can save a few bucks that you can use somewhere else on your build. They came with my Blueprint crate engine and I am very happy with them so far. They come with good springs that are suitable for a pretty healthy roller cam.

If you are building a street engine that you don't plan to rev the crap out of, you might want to consider using stock Ford pedestal mount rocker arms. Blueprint ships their crate engines with these and warrantys them for 3 years or 36,000 miles.

·
Registered
483 Posts
500hp from 351 ci is a little tough. The heads the expensive part. Flow tech or AFR . Vic jr or air gap intake , aggressive cam might get you there. Might lose it's "daily driver" status because of the cam. 500 hp from a 408 is allot easier and not that much more money.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
If it is for drag racing it is one thing, but if it is for driving on the street, that is very different. I don't think you're going to want to take an old engine up to 500hp with just top end bolt ons. Any serious build up requires the whole thing to be done, then a stroker kit can easily be part of the equation, giving you the cubes to make elevated power levels. You should get a real seat-of-the-pants boost in performance with good top end bolt ons, just don't be too concerned with hitting a HP number. Rear gears and a torque converter, if it is an auto, should probably also be considered part of the package.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts