Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1970 Fairlane 500 that has a short. I have tracked it to the kick panel. Can anyone tell me what the switch/relay is that is behind the driver floorboard kick panel? The car will start now that I have unhooked this piece.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I have a 1970 Fairlane 500 that has a short. I have tracked it to the kick panel. Can anyone tell me what the switch/relay is that is behind the driver floorboard kick panel? The car will start now that I have unhooked this piece.
Can you post a picture? What color wires go to it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The relay was bolted to to the side sort of inside the fender. It has orange, red and black/white wires headed up to a plug and continuing that direction. It does not go to the dimmer switch that I can tell, and the main wiring bundle that goes to the back of the car passes right by it but is seperate.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Might be some type of interlock. Did the engine crank but have no ignition or not crank at all? Auto or manual transmission?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
351C 2V with automatic transmission. My brother got this car from my father and drove it ocasionally. One day he went out and it wouldn't start. He had the starter rebuilt and put a new solenoid on it to no avail. He gave it to my 16yr old earlier this year and we have been piddling with it this summer. At first you could hear a solid click when ever you hooked up the battery, then that quit. I think it burned out the ignition switch. I changed out the solenoid again, headlight switch and had the starter tested. Finally I made a new ignition switch (71 switch with the 70 plug). Seemed better (some things would work) but still would not turn over. My son noticed that every time we hooked up the battery the kick panel would click. He took the kick panel cover off and found this little jewel. We unpluged it and the car started right up. The horn works, blower works, and most of the lights, so I don't know what this thing is for.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I made a new ignition switch (71 switch with the 70 plug).
Ah yes, the infamous one-year-only ignition switch. I have the same one in my 70 Maverick.

Don't know the purpose. Either trace out some wiring or find a wiring diagram. Do those wire colors appear near the ignition switch or in the engine compartment? Now I wanna know! LOL

Some of my Maverick wiring diagrams show a relay much like that in the same location but it was used to provide power to the sport lamps in the grill.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts