Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
3/4 cam is an old flathead Ford terminogly. They called it 3/4 race or full race. Showing my age here. Mostly because the knowledge people had of an engine as compared to now is so much more. So to make it easy to sell they made it easy to understand and "sound" tougher.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I always play the quiet game. I'll sit back & listen to their stories and just agree or nod my head. When the time comes to actually run 'em, I don't care if I lose. I've been involved in racing for so long that losing a race or two is just another walk in the park so to speak....but normally, their little CRX or Si gets its ass handed to them.

When you're young, you want to think you're on top of the world and have the fastest thing out there. When you start getting older (and hopefully wiser) you learn that you don't necessarily have to get to the finish line first to be the winner.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Jan hit the nail on the head about us dirt track racers " I hope this thing stays together , This is a borrowed engine, Ive been out to lunch all night" Its fun to so at the dirt track cuz we all were full of bull. As far as the young kids and the rice friers, I live in a small town and run my own chassis shop, Word of mouth is about 5 seconds around here and usually dont get the old 100 bucks on the dash or my car is this blah blah. Most people around here are pretty straight with me about things because most times I go out of my way to help them sooner or later. I feel sorry for them in a sence because the younger generation has lost its real world thinking on our sport , some due to media (The Fast and the Furious) or be it that noone took the time in the family to teach them the etiquite that is nothing more than respect that we all deserve for putting hard work and knowledge into our rides. Yes I am fairly young in all this at 32 but have the time spent with many notable people that have taught me and for this i am fortunate. Now it is my turn to keep it going and make that huge smile on some kids face when he lights his first build !

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
well in my neck of the woods there are plenty of these zeros floating around ready to give you there worldly advice....
used to call them out on it but not any more,not worth my time or trouble.
i know bugger-all on the grand scale of things but am prepare to listen and learn-i usually just give them the-you know youre full of it look,with a touch of a smile.
the worst ones in my book are the older guys that sre full of it---sooo sad

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
If you do get to the point you can't stand what they're saying, just tell them you have an "engine" and then ask them how to build it up. "Fast & the Furious" what a joke that was. Want to see a good one watch "Bullitt" or the orginal "Vanishing Point". Even the orginal "Gone in 60 Seconds" is a good one.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
This is the biggest one I hear " Its all bored out". Its as if that is the biggest power maker in a rebuild
. In all reality cleaning up your cylinders .030" is gonna bring most small blocks up 4-5 ci and you will see a 3-4HP increase which isnt much when you are dealing with 225HP.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
My biggest petpeve is hanging around the street rod crowd
. I respect their talent in metal work as well as their ability to retrofit many different parts and make unigue stuff. All the street rod guys I know have the biggest egos and they mostly drive me nuts with their B.S babbling and ridiculing my cars. Not a one of them has ever been to a track, built their own motors or run a rear gear other than 3.08 but when asked about performance their stuff will out run your little 13 sec Ford
. You can call them out all day but they will never race because you are out of their league. I do tip my hat the the occaisonal street rod guy who actually tries his car at the local track and I allways try to talk to them before they make a pass and its allways "should run atleast 7s" 1/8th and the look on their face when they get their 12 sec 1/8th mile slip is priceless!

·
Registered
333 Posts
On 2007-01-11 19:00, dacofa wrote:
3/4 cam is an old flathead Ford terminogly. They called it 3/4 race or full race. Showing my age here. Mostly because the knowledge people had of an engine as compared to now is so much more. So to make it easy to sell they made it easy to understand and "sound" tougher.
Yep. Exactly.......along with "Stroked and Bored".

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
As CKelley said, the best thing to do is just nod your head as they spew.

Making the guy look stupid will only make YOU look like a butt to everybody that is around. Sometimes you've even got to treat the idiots with a -little- respect. Give a loudmouth a ride in your car, and he'll talk it up to the entire world.

It works for me. Being rude to those idiots just makes you look like an ass... And people dislike a$$holes more than they dislike idiots... and chances are, most of those people won't even know the guy is an idiot.... just that you are an ass.

It's hard to resist, though.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
How do you handle it? Well, it depends on how big they are and how many friends they have around. Just kidding! I always just end up going along with what they say and moving along as soon as I get the chance. You should know darn well they're not going to believe any less than what they're telling you.

Tell them you think it makes more power than what they think. All of a sudden you are their hero. They'll tell everyone around you really know your stuff.

·
Registered
3 Posts
On 2007-01-09 08:16, gchero351 wrote:
Stop being so nice... it fuels them. call their bluff every time so they will have to put up or shut up-. I told a guy

if you win i pay everything " food, fuel, entry fee's, fuel to and from the track at 50 miles each way..... he wouldn't race his 350 fireburd against a 351c ranchero. but he still said that his was faster-
Some guys like to brag, but the stopwatch does not lie at the strip!!

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
My example also shows that he didn't even wanna be friendly and enjoy lunch at the track after " beating me racing" he just wanted to blow hot air until his mouth made his ears happy enough-

·
Registered
409 Posts
My encounters always seem to be with the guy who "used to have one of those but sold it because it wasn't fast/reliable/powerful enough".

This guy always says he is an expert on my ride but when he starts talking about it he proves how much BS he can spew.

Brings to mind a good quote:
"If you can't dazzle them with detail, baffle them with Bull$#*t".

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would hope if I'm talking to someone more knowledgable [and there are many], if I say something stupid they don't jump down my throat. That being said, programs like Horsepower TV, Pinks, Musclecar and Dream Car Garage have given us a whole new class of experts to astound us with tales of Noss and bling and yes 3/4 race cams. I personally, have gleaned a lot of knowledge from this and other Ford and FE specific forums and I appreciate it.But I still have no idea how to deal with' cruise night Carroll Shelbys'.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I get a lot of people that enjoy telling me my car is not a real Shelby. I tell them it's not even a clone. I also like to tell them I built it so it's a Nate GT 350. Those are usually the same ones that say they had an all original '65 Shelby mustang that came with a HiPo Boss 302. The words Boss and Shelby get thrown around so much by those knuckle heads.

I've seen some humble pie eaten at the track by people who were boastful of how their car should perform. I try to be nice about it.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
I try to never boast about what the car will -or won't - do. I like eggs, but not on my face. I prefer the "do it, then talk about it" system. I've got a box full of event win stickers, but I'm half afraid to put them on the car. I put a "prefect light" sticker on the car in 2004 - yet to hit another!

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I allways demote my cars performance myself as far as HP and torque. I wont lie about my timeslips since those are the only numbers that I like.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Just smile, agree, pat them on the back and drink their beer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm in my 40's retired Military, went to school down south. Heard alot of that kind of yap then when me and my fellow motor heads were scrimping every penny and trading in coke bottles we found along the road to pay for parts. I heard the same thing through the service and even now. But more and more it's "What I got Under the Hood" or "Can't nothin touch it!" but when I ask how long did it take THEM to do it ......I had it done! How does this work? Don't know. They use their parents money, sell drugs or strip cars to get the stuff, or they're into hock on plastic. Very few young people have that much honest free cash on hand.
I myself don't race....can't afford the broken parts, been there done that.
I like performance and I'll put it together myself. My labor is easier on the pocketbook and it keeps me busy. I like to learn along the way...not the hard way. .............................sometimes.
I'll get off my sope box now.

SCMIKE

21 - 40 of 52 Posts