Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

What is a stinger ignition system (joe sherman)

21K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  66GT289 
#1 ·
I was reading one of big joes articles and he mentioned a stinger ignition. I never heard of it and couldnt find it online. Is that like the petronix points to electronic conversion?

#2 ·
That brings back some memories. Normally when you think of Hays you
think of clutches but they used to do other things as well, including what
otherwise is known as a Hays Stinger ignition. Really old school stuff....
basically a 70's/80's era electronic conversion from points to a "mopar-
like" magnetic pickup unit in the distributor and a trick reluctor that
was a press-fit onto the autolite/motorcraft shaft cam. (The reluctor is
unique & has some really sharp points too!) Hays provided a electronic
box to read the signal from the pickup, similar to other units that were
and are still available.
I just saw Michael Hays at last year's SEMA show. He's been doing nothing
but clutches for quite some time - he runs the show for Centerforce
these days over in Arizona.

#3 ·
They went out of the ignition business back in 1998. I used to run them all the time. I did a big shootout with MSD ,and the stinger would make 5 or 6 more HP. I had some special ,trick stinger boxes that were even bettewr. THe one on my sons car was 11 HP better than the MSD. They could not keep up with the bells and whissles ( 2 step ect ) so everybody went to MSD. I( still have some Stinger parts left.
JOE SHERMAN RACING

#6 ·
Joe:
I have a blown small block Chevy that has a stinger on it, I rebuilt the whole roadster and lost the instructions, where the wires go and so on, would you know where to get them or have a copy that I could buy?? I bought mine a long time ago at the LA swapmeet, I'm tight for space behind the blower and the instructions would help.
Thanks Chuck

#8 ·
i could use a set of instructions for the Stinger system, i just bought a used one and got a pretty good deal on it. in fact i actually bought 2, 1 complete system for a buick which all i really need is the box and wiring from it but i think the other stuff will swap over to my ford dizzy anyway and the other was just a box from an VW, don't think it will work with the other stuff but i got it anyway since it was so cheap.

also i just found out that Mallory's Breakerless ignition conversion is very similar if not the same system as the Stinger the only real difference i could see was that they no longer use a reluctor and just read off the points cam....kinda strange actually.

actually now that i think about it i might could use a reluctor and a pickup if anyone has them laying around.

i've been on an electronic ignition binge on ebay lately, bought several old systems and various bits and pieces, thought i had an original ford transistor ignition system but i got sniped in the last 20-25 seconds, funny thing was the guy that sniped me got sniped too, found that out when i went to enter another bid after the first guy sniped me and the bid changed again after i entered mine. had it all week at 50 bucks and a high bid of $70, then wammo with 20 seconds to go it went from $50 to $65, then i uppped my bid to $80, which still wasn't high enough, and then sniper one became snipee two and the bid went all the way to like $120.

#9 ·
Man, I've been runnin' Stinger ignitions forever (30+ years). My Dad and I used to deal with Les Long directly. Les was basicly the brains behind Stinger. I still have a setup on my Cleveland and my Windsor. Sold my Dad's '65 F100 with a Stinger on the 429. New owner got it running... says it works perfectly. I don't know about now, but in it's day Stinger was the hottest ignition goin'. Usually had to jet up when the system was installed. Les Long took over Stinger when Midway Industries, Centerforce parent company, moved to Arizona. Prescott I believe. I haven't seen or talked to Les in ages.

Ramble over... Good Luck!!!

#10 ·
I read a previous post about someone needing schematics for a stinger, i just reinstalled my old stinger ignition box in my 72 skylark, has the full stinger conversion with dist and all, did this after my second MSD box failed on me, i drove the car after and wow she had some unexpected extra pull! After realizing the differences between the boxs and how they operate. unfortunatley i replaced it before all the other upgrades, did not really relize the stingers potential. Yes i know its a GM but the stinger relavance... Hopefully this weekend ill be the proud owner of a 77 Mercury Cougar with 92,000 original on her! My friend Dave had one in highschool only a 76 with the round headlamps, 351 he rebuilt with dad propelled that monster to low 14's! Thats a lot of car , absolutley hilarious on the street.

#11 ·
Yeah, it's a shame you have to watch what you say about MSD and other CD systems, and that they're not always the best solution to every ignition need. Folks get very upset. They can't say why... but they get upset.

David

#14 ·
.035 is good. I ran Stingers for years and still have some plus all of the wiring information if anyone needs one or the information. The Stinger is a "transistor " ignition , not a CD or capacitive discharge ignition like the MSD and MANY others.
Sadly Les Long ( the inventor) , Bill Hays (the owner) , and Joe Sherman ( long time user , promoter) have all passed on. Now the ignition has followed suit.
Randy

#17 ·
Hi, new member from North Carolina.
I know this is an old post but I saw a few guys mentioned having some Stinger ignition parts including Joe Sherman who bought a Buick kit for just the directions and any interchangeable parts.
Recently got a partial Stinger S-4 kit Model “#54002R Buick 4D3180” for a Buick 455 cid project.
Was wondering if anyone had a copy of the installation instructions or in the case of Joe Sherman any leftover parts from the Buick kit (if for a 70-72 455 V-8)?
Thanks in advance for any help. I have to go see if i can get notifications on posts now but if it’s easier you’re welcome to call (704)575-9137.
I need to get this roached out fake GSX up and running and moved.
Fritz
North Carolina 28104
1960Josephine401@gmail.com

#21 ·
Hi, new member from North Carolina.
I know this is an old post but I saw a few guys mentioned having some Stinger ignition parts including Joe Sherman who bought a Buick kit for just the directions and any interchangeable parts.
Recently got a partial Stinger S-4 kit Model “#54002R Buick 4D3180” for a Buick 455 cid project.
Was wondering if anyone had a copy of the installation instructions or in the case of Joe Sherman any leftover parts from the Buick kit (if for a 70-72 455 V-8)?
Thanks in advance for any help. I have to go see if i can get notifications on posts now but if it’s easier you’re welcome to call (704)575-9137.
I need to get this roached out fake GSX up and running and moved.
Fritz
North Carolina 28104
1960Josephine401@gmail.com
Randy pretty much "hit the nail of the head."
Don't know what you're missing out of the kit but 54002 is the right part number (Don't know what the "R" stands for, it's not in my book). The 4D3180 is the stock number.
S-4 modules have the retard function in them. The wiring harnesses are the same as the regular Stinger and MagnaPulse setups, therefore Randy has the wiring "diagram" correct.
I don't know about the S-4 coil; I know where they got the regular coil, but not the particulars on S-4. Their other coils are external resistor style, I'm guessing S-4 units are the same.
The "bitch" about the GM installation is the distributor has to come apart to install the Hays hardware kit pieces. Not too bad though. I've done them before.
If you needed the whole enchilada, the complete hardware kit is #112114.

Mike Hays would be your point of contact in Prescott. Great guy. I'll send you an email as well.

#20 ·
Joe Sherman passed away a few years back (rip) . You "might" find some parts by contacting Mike Hays @ Centerforce clutches in Prescott AZ. I do not have any GM distributor parts, There are five wires on a harness. Black is ground. Yellow and green are for the magnetic trigger, red goes to + coil and white goes to - coil. Pretty simple. Add 12 volts to the + side of the coil and you are in business.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.