Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently working on installing a 91 H.O 302 out of a 91 lincoln mark 7.
Is this a decent year of 302 to use. I will eventually like to upgrade it to more HP in the future. The car was an automatic but I will be installing a T-5. Will the engine ECU need to be reflashed to work with the T-5 or not.
Thanks

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
I am currently working on installing a 91 H.O 302 out of a 91 lincoln mark 7.
Is this a decent year of 302 to use. I will eventually like to upgrade it to more HP in the future. The car was an automatic but I will be installing a T-5. Will the engine ECU need to be reflashed to work with the T-5 or not.
Thanks
you going to get rid of the 91 , if there is a better year ?

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
Any year '88+ is fine. I would just find a Mustang A9P manual trans ECM and plug it in or re-flash what you have to those spec's.

David

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Here's a good chart comparing the 5.0 H.Os

5.0 High Output -- The Ford V-8 Engine Workshop

Question: Is a late model 5.0 long block a direct drop-in for say a '68 Torino with a C4?? I like the idea too of building up a 90's 302 instead of my original '68 302.
That's a great link and some good info...As for swapping a 5.0 into an older ford like the torino it will bolt right in but there are lots of small details you need to consider.....You will need to change the oil pan to a front sump and you may also need to change out the timing cover if you want to run a mechanical fuel pump and run a normal rotation water pump.There were many different front pulley cominations over the years so you may also need an aftermarket balancer if you want to run your old V belt style pulleys...You also need to make sure you use the proper flywheel or flexplate with the motor as the balance changed in 1982 from 28oz to 50oz..

·
Registered
346 Posts
So it sounds like the best bet is to grab the full motor with all accessories if the alternator, and PS pump are in the correct sides as '68. The oil pan, and pick-up and electric fuel pump seem straight-forward.

Running a serpentine belt would be nice. The only remaining issue might be the PS pump. The '68 power ram and 90's saginaw type are probably very different.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts