1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
$500 doesn't look too bad to me for a 8 inch with a decent gear ratio and a new posi.Parts like these are hard to find used.I looked at your CARS info and it sounds like you've got a pretty stout 351 stroker.Depending on how you intend to use the car(how much time with slicks or drag racing)might influence my decision on wether to go to a 9 inch or not.I don't think you can change to a 9 inch with good gears and a fresh posi any cheaper but you might be able to do it for around the same money and it would be stronger,(if thats a concern) It would be a little more work to change over to the 9 inch,where the 8 inch would be a simple swap.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I shimmed the spiders in my 9" rear with one extra shim. I haven't yet run the car but it seems to be like a limited slip. I read somewhere that if you use one extra shim it's a limited slip and if you use two it locks it up. The 8" rear are just like the 9" only smaller. I used a 8" shim in my 9" rear.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Well I know this wont help you in Texas, I just got back from the Portland swap meet and must have seen 2 dozen 8" posi`s between $200 and $350 with most gear ratios, and they were fresh, did not see any 4:11`s. Point is, hit the swap meets some one there will have something you could be intersted in. Dont buy posi`s on E-bay ( sorry to those who do not screw people ) I have purchased 2 posi`s and both were junk, have spoken to others who bought posi`s and got sent junk. There are to many assholes unloading there broken crap at insane prices on E-bay, dont be fooled, if you cant touch it and inspect it before you buy, dont buy it.

·
Registered
809 Posts
If you are gonna run it hard, go with the 9 inch. Back in my younger days I saw lots of broken 8 inch units that the guys had run with slicks. They will bust out the front of the case, dropping the pinion gear on the ground. Not pretty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts