Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Subscriber
672 Posts
chrisful is right, you can/should add it all up and see exactly what you're dealing with.
but - 100 amps is plenty.

my recommendation - ditch that fan and get something with a shroud. anything with a shroud would be better than what you've got.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ricky the pulley size is the same as the. stock pulleys. I replaced them a while back to get the two grove set up. The water pump is a high performance pump.Every part on the car is like new condition. I flush the cooling system every spring.I install new antifreeze at that time.I just checked the thermostat and found that the thermostat had been gutted. I replaced it with a new one that a high flow and 160 degree setting.Right now I'm looking at getting a high out put fan. My radiator seems to be of a odd size.It's 18 3/4 -18 3/4. I'm trying to find a fan that will fit it and build a shroud for it.I did it on my Cobra and it worked great.I think it's going to cost a bit more than I was hoping for.I took a ride the other day in the car ,it was 84 out side . It was so nice inside with the air.I will get it all sorted out and I know that I will be happy in the end.Never had a hot rod with air. I guess I'm getting old.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Get the biggest CFM that'll fit. I'd also use a relay so as to not burn up wiring. Wiring also has to be able to take the amps. I've seen people use 18gauge wire with a little 5 amp switch and try and run 35 amps thru it.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I already have a 30 amp fuse wired in to a relay with a manual switch for the fan.When I first got the car it had a toggle switch wired to the fan with 16 gauge wires. I installed a relay with a 30 amp fuse a with much heaver wires.Right now I'm trying to figure out which fan will work for me.I went to the you pick it the other day and bought the dual fans from a ford.Got them home and found out there's no way I can fit them in a 18 3/4-183/4 space.Anybody out there need a set of 13 inch fans let me know.Ricky you said I should add up all my drains on the system. The only thing I have other than the lights are the air and the MSD box and fuel pump.I'll try to find out how much they use tomorrow if it's not to hot .

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well I've done some upgrades in the last couple weeks.I bought a new fan that listed at 3000 cfm, had a custom fan shroud made, I took it to a local auto cruise . It was very close to 90 out and the cars were moving very slow with lots of stopping. The air works great, I turned the air down after awhile. The temp got up to 203 degrees. As soon as we moved a little the temp dropped down to just a little under 200.After a few minutes it was down to 195.My only problem was when I turned the motor off the starter was slow to turn the motor over. Seems to have a heat sink problem . It starts but kinda drags till it starts. I plan to get a starter blanket and solve that problem.Still working on wiring up the fan to turn on when I turn on the air. Also I'm wiring a kick up switch to increase the idle speed when the air is turned on.Roger

·
Registered
207 Posts
Starter might also look at a mini if you don't have one and increase cable size. I use #2 welding cable with auto lugs on them. Custom made put when you put the amps down line they never even get warm. Starter never knows what hit it.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I already have the welder cable with heavy copper ends. I put a starter blanket on it today. It did help with the starter drag.Right now I'm trying to adjust the carb. I've never been good with carbs. I plan on giving it a real good try and if I don't get it right I plan on taking it to a friend who is great at tuning. The problem is he's swamped with work and I don't know he will be able to get to it.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
quickfuel 650 cfm with mechanical secondaries.This is the carb with no choke. I have been trying to find out how to set the mechanical secondaries.Right now the motor is running like crap.I plan on going out to the garage tomorrow and see if I can get it to run better.Roger

21 - 30 of 30 Posts