Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I will start off by sharing mine for my 65 fastback.

Get the fracken heads finished, back together and get out to the track again so I can see how it is going to perform

add fiberglass 3 inch cowl hood, fresh air pan for carb,
fiberglass decklid with the spoiler
billet hood pins

switch to either 28 x 9 drag radials or back down to 4.30 gears(4.62's now)

going to get ins and get a vintage plate so I can tool around local area
when I'm not running it at the track
finish prepping it for paint and paint next year(I hope)

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't got the fresh air pan yet but I found it at;

prosystemsracing.com

It has to be fitted based on your intake to hood clearance.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Where did you get your deck lid kit from, who made it.
I got my 3 inch cowl hood from Must Ulmtd, it looks like a good solid piece.
I also got the side scoops from MU, those were nice and well built, but as discussed on here and elsewhere, the fiberglass parts - HOURS of sanding and fitting.
I hear the deck lids and qrtr caps are just as ill fitting and require rubbing, filling. Still going to do it, but looking for the best ones.

I read Maer glass products were not good, particularly the end caps.

I sanded my side scoops as close as I could, put blue painters tape on the body, loaded the scoop edges up with filler and bolted them on, let it dry.

Made a perfect fit, popped em back of, minimal sanding to mate surface, just knocked of the excess that was pushed out.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
My side scoops which I don't remember where I got them fit nice but they are just temp'd on the car right now with stainless screws.

The decklid is from Fiberglass Specialties. They tell me it is a pretty good fit. They have sold products through the major mustang houses for a long time. About 2 years ago they started a website store. I like this decklid because it has the decklid lip detail and is not just flat. I posted this in another post the other day.

I caught a you tube video on fitting the fiberglass end caps. There is going to be some fill required or possibly some grinding on the end caps on most any car but hopefully not a lot. My deck lid comes in next month so I don't have it yet either. That post up there is all stuff I still need to steal, er, acquire funds for, LOL. I have a decent monthly budget so it will go fast after I get the heads finished but I need new rocker arms, studs and will need custom length push rods for that.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
I like the contoured one much better, how much is the lid and end caps.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Great talk with Marv at Fiberglass Specialties. I called and asked for a pic with details of the 67 68 trunk lid. I told them about a guy on here who had it on his 65/66 lid and I wanted the little detail at the lip on mine.
I described it to him, and was supprised to hear him say, I MADE THAT BY HAND. Apparently the photo show, or your lid(?) is a ONE OFF piece. Something about the concave wasnt right, so Mart added that lip on to it to make it symetric.
I told him he should make it on all, but since its a mold, he had to hand lay that on there. He spent a while telling me how to do it, piece of cake. Just takes a lot of time, but I like it as it resembles the factory lid a bit with that little lip, some had chrome trim on it. I am thinking you can do this wiht the chrome as well.
I like the CS/Shelby lid, but it is rather big and plain frm the rear, so the lip and some accent may help it.
Either way, that deck lid and the end caps are unique.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Err, ummm, I guess I need to call them back. Was told it was off the shelf piece. DRAT!

I pulled that photo up there off their website store. It was supposed to be a stock photo for the pieces involved.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went back and pulled the stock catalog photo again and it is still the same for the 65-66 fastback. Maybe that is the difference. I did not see one for any 67 up cars, coupe or fastback.

I was told this IS the part when I called the first time and that it will ship Fed Ex ground since the fastback decklid is small enough. I guess I need to verify that once again because I'm about to order this.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
I was ASSuming the photo was the one you had purchased. Sooooo, maybe yours is off the shelf, as Marv said he only made ONE of those.

No telling who got it, again, sorry just thought that was the one you had got. I like it, that little ridge along the bottom breaks up all that flat space there.

I plan on doing it to mine once I get it. That is the only thing I dont like about the CS deck lid, its a lot of fiberglASS sticking up with little to break up the real estate. I was leaning towards striping it and putting the Mustang letters across it as well.

Dont go postal on them, I think I mis understood what he was telling me.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just talked to Sue and she did say that this contoured design is for the 65-66 only. The 67-8's are designed exactly the way the CS or Shelby's were since people are essentially reproducing those cars. Those do not have the small lip or edge detail at the bottom of the deck lid.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I am thinking tho, if you are fairly comfortable/good with FG the added body line could be added with a few strips of glass/resin. Would take some work but not impossible...

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Yeah, I talked to Marv at FS, this is a pretty easy add on, although time consuming to keep it straight.

I build wood/glass duck boats for fun, so I have more than enough supplies. Just not sure if I want to get mired down in this one. Thats a long straight line/radius. Building it up is the easy part, the sanding of the radius and blending into the concave will be the fun part.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
. Thats a long straight line/radius. Building it up is the easy part, the sanding of the radius and blending into the concave will be the fun part.

NOW THAT is no **** Gydyup.....

·
Registered
1,786 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts

I find after all this body work, my tolerance or level for fun is not what it used to be, I am getting to the un motivated part of this body work. Ready to turn it over to someone who cares more.

A duck boat is just that, a special built boat used to hunt ducks out of, this is one I got the design from a dude in North Carolina, Toler Boats. Built it, marine ply and oak with glass over it. Lot of fun, lot of time, 3 mths of 40 hr weeks, I could have bought a boat cheaper but it wouldnt be as good. This is an awesome stable boat. 15 ft, I have a 35 Evinrude on it, not so stable at WOT:eek:

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dude, I have hit that particular motivation/burn out/wall at least twice on my car on this current ordeal. When you get to that point it is best to just put it up in the shop for a while and do something else. It will come back after a while. That final push to get everything done and finished is where I am now. It is being very difficult for me to get through it. I go for motorcycle rides or go out to the gun range to break up the monotony.

The problem is that my mind knows that it is all still down at my shop waiting on me. It doesn't help that I get asked all the time if I still have the mustang and when is it going to be finished so people can see it. I put enough pressure on myself without the help.

One of my biggest problems is that I feel time slipping away from me in this life and I'm concerned that I won't be able to finish the projects I have already under taken and have any life left to enjoy them.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
One of my biggest problems is that I feel time slipping away from me in this life and I'm concerned that I won't be able to finish the projects I have already under taken and have any life left to enjoy them.[/QUOTE]

Get out of my head! Exactly what I think, sometimes I just sit and watch TV and think, I should be out in the shop.

The getting it done, and being young enough to actually drive it? I read articles where this guy cant do this because of his back, had to go automatic because of his ankle or hips. Scares the crap out of me.

I never set a deadline, because I didnt want that pressure and frustration. Now I have, I have told my daughters, 2 and 4th grade, that I will drive them to Middle School in "Sally" - 7th grade. I think its doable. Once I get this body work done, it will move. I was reading an Art in Mustang and Fords about thier BB build, 833 HP. I am seriousley thinking that instead of building my own, a CHP short block and do the cam, heads and rest myself.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
I looked at the pic of your deck lid, I looked at the one I got. Yours has a lip or ridge like the factory lids came with around the lower edge and extends to the quarter caps - mine did not.

I like the look of that ridge, so I called Mark at FS, and he says its a one of thing he did.

So me being the boat builder, fiberglass dude I am, I decided to ADD THAT LIP. Took the dimensions off the factory lid and caps, bought me some balsa wood, made a template, cut it all out, started glassing it on.

I shot the good idea fairy last night, me being the skeet shooter I am, and now having run my course of good idea add ons to this project. No more good ideas.

It looks cool, but its some rubbing and filling and rubbing going on.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts