Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please tell me what this is from. I've had this for 25 years, just got it cleaned up and noticed C4SAS421 which looks to me like Ford factory 1964 part number, but no FoMoCo stamp anywhere. Is this a factory intake. I always thought it was a HiPo intake, but researched and realize those were all cast iron. Living around Dearborn I have stumbled across a few XP parts that never made production. Please let me know if you know what this is from or manufacturer.
Thanks!
289_intake_Al_C4SAS421.jpg

·
Registered
578 Posts
Please tell me what this is from. I've had this for 25 years, just got it cleaned up and noticed C4SAS421 which looks to me like Ford factory 1964 part number, but no FoMoCo stamp anywhere. Is this a factory intake. I always thought it was a HiPo intake, but researched and realize those were all cast iron. Living around Dearborn I have stumbled across a few XP parts that never made production. Please let me know if you know what this is from or manufacturer.
Thanks!
View attachment 80082

It looks just like stock 289 intake cast in Aluminum, the Casting numbers look to be proper ford numbers but don't really translate properly! The S for a 3rd digit indicates a thunder bird, no 289 was ever used on a thunder bird!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Thanks!
View attachment 80082
hello

that is a likely a prototype intake. they purportedly started making them in 1961. they were were for the cobras and tigers as mentioned but also ised on 221 ci engines. it was used until december 64.

it is purported to be an option but may have come on some production cars but it did not say what type.

heres a production one for a cobra. notice the additional number on it.

C4SA-9421

the second S is actually a 9.

heres a production one for a tiger. notice there is only one set of numbers on it but there is a faint raised section where the hm numbers are on tje cobra intake above. this intake is used so who knows what might have happened to it.

http://www.mustangtek.com/Intake/images/C4SA-9421_04_000.jpg

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Yep, that's a pre'64-style Tiger or Cobra optional manifold. Note the lettering area on runner #1 is milled. Also note the Holman-Moody lettering is missing. This tends to indicate a later version derived from the HM manifold for sale over-the-counter as an upgrade manifold, and not one of the original HM castings, though HM may have cast it.

This design was originally for 221 and 260 c.i. small blocks, and the original HP260 engines by HM in 1961. It was then retired for that purpose, and made a non-stock upgrade item for 289 Cobras and Tigers, with lettering to match. Finally, the last version was a generic upgrade manifold without HM or model lettering, as yours shows. Not paticularly effective by today's terms, but it's value would be as an original classic upgrade part. I have no current-value estimation for you, but don't hold your breath for a large collector's figure.

David

PS: FE - the C4 number is because this is not the original HM version, but the later commercial version, OTC optional on 1964 and later Cobras and Tigers, and finally unlettered for OTC anything.

·
Registered
578 Posts
The SA stands for Shelby American, these usually have "COBRA" or "TIGER" cast on the front runner. Cast by Holman-Moody.

David
That manifold is not the same as the ones that were on the Cobras! I had a 1966 289 ho po with a cobra kit and the manifold was a lot higher than that! That Manifold is a Aluminum stock 4v intake! it is not even a high riser!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
That manifold is not the same as the ones that were on the Cobras! I had a 1966 289 ho po with a cobra kit and the manifold was a lot higher than that! That Manifold is a Aluminum stock 4v intake! it is not even a high riser!
holman moody embossed C4SE-9421 and advertised in a shelby add in 1963. i suggest you read post 4 again and do further research.

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
That manifold is not the same as the ones that were on the Cobras!
That's right. The stock (real) Cobra intake was a bit taller IIRC. Everybody back then wanted to pop their hood and say they had a Cobra intake (or engine), and this was one aftermarket piece used to do that. No different than the Chevy guys wanting a Corvette engine or intake in their car. Although aftermarket, I understand they were available at Ford dealer parts counters (OTC), which makes sense. Dealers could and still do sell all kinds of aftermarket stuff, much of which has Ford trademarked stuff on it, such as these with COBRA and TIGER, or no lettering at all. Nobody claims it's as good or better than a stock K-code intake either. But, it was a lot cooler than an iron 2-barrel.

David

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
+1. That's the way I understand it.

David
ok some trivia

the photo is an early 65 intake. there is no part number on it. it was purportedly used on around the first 60 shelby gt350's and likely some cobras. value around 3000.00 or more

the more common 65 intake had the S1MS number on it. one just sold on ehay for $2000.00.

the R model had S1MS but no pcv or temp sender hole. value, likely over $5k.

all these were made by offy.

·
Registered
578 Posts
ok some trivia

the photo is an early 65 intake. there is no part number on it. it was purportedly used on around the first 60 shelby gt350's and likely some cobras. value around 3000.00 or more

the more common 65 intake had the S1MS number on it. one just sold on ehay for $2000.00.

the R model had S1MS but no pcv or temp sender hole. value, likely over $5k.

all these were made by offy.
I bought a Cobra kit for MY 1966 mustang GT for less than $500'00 it included The Cobra intake, leman Cam 715 Holley carb and Tri-Y headers! There were also kits that even included ported heads available!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I bought a Cobra kit for MY 1966 mustang GT for less than $500'00 it included The Cobra intake, leman Cam 715 Holley carb and Tri-Y headers! There were also kits that even included ported heads available!
that would be cool if you got the real stuff, its hard to find but unless you bought it in 1967 or earlier or you bought it from a moron, you bought a repo intake they can be had cheap. there is a big difference between a replica 65 shelby [$45,000] and the real one i sold [$350,000.00]. same with repo vs real parts.

the carb alone is probably around $2,500.00 for an orig now.

the headers are only $150.00.

valley head service is still in business so they can engrave the heads cheap but porting will be around $800.00.

the orig kits also used the 66 intake nit the 65.

·
Registered
578 Posts
that would be cool if you got the real stuff, its hard to find but unless you bought it in 1967 or earlier or you bought it from a moron, you bought a repo intake they can be had cheap. there is a big difference between a replica 65 shelby [$45,000] and the real one i sold [$350,000.00]. same with repo vs real parts.

the carb alone is probably around $2,500.00 for an orig now.

the headers are only $150.00.

valley head service is still in business so they can engrave the heads cheap but porting will be around $800.00.

the orig kits also used the 66 intake nit the 65.
My Cobra Kit Came right from the ford store out of there muscle parts catalog! it was 1967 or 68 when I bought it! The Cam and springs were around 60 or 70 bucks!

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
C-4 is C-4 is C-4.... Still a 64 or later Part, not a 260 part which carry no casting date after C-3.
That's right. The photo in the first post is of a 1964 or later version of the original 1961 design by HM.
:tup:
David

[EDIT] PS: The one pictured has larger runners and ports for the 289. The 1961 HM version has really tiny ports suited for 221 and 260 engines. Although the C4 version pictured has the larger ports, they are still puny by today's standards.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks!

I appreciate all the responses. I plan to list this for sale so if someone could message me with a guess what it might be worth I'd be very appreciative.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
hello unfortunately it is not worth much because it does not say cobra or tiger . people that own those cars have the money to buy the ones with names on them . . you might get lucky and find someone that wants it as a novelty and will pay more than others but unfirtunately i wouldnt get my hopes up very high at all as far as value.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts