Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
ok some trivia

the photo is an early 65 intake. there is no part number on it. it was purportedly used on around the first 60 shelby gt350's and likely some cobras. value around 3000.00 or more

the more common 65 intake had the S1MS number on it. one just sold on ehay for $2000.00.

the R model had S1MS but no pcv or temp sender hole. value, likely over $5k.

all these were made by offy.
Mine has "SHELBY" cast into it on that runner.
Got it with the car.
My uncle probably had this thing stashed
in his garage since the late 60s.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a SHELBY script intake too on my Falcon. Part number is S2MS-9424-A which I believe to be an over the counter part from a Ford dealer. I think it's the earlier version since it has a 4 hole carb base instead of a 2 hole. Anyway, that's my 2 pennies! :tup:

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I have a SHELBY script intake too on my Falcon. Part number is S2MS-9424-A which I believe to be an over the counter part from a Ford dealer. I think it's the earlier version since it has a 4 hole carb base instead of a 2 hole. Anyway, that's my 2 pennies! :tup:
hello;

4 hole is orig, two hole is repo.

·
Registered
83 Posts
hello;

4 hole is orig, two hole is repo.
Ok, I was under the impression that the SHELBY script intakes were OTC and the COBRA script intakes were on production vehicles.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Ok, I was under the impression that the SHELBY script intakes were OTC and the COBRA script intakes were on production vehicles.
That is not true! All the intake manifolds sold over the counter from FORD with the original Cobra Kit had the cobra Script!
Manifolds sold by Shelby has the Shelby script!
Cobra valve Covers from Ford were Closed letter
the ones Shelby sold could be bought in both in closed ,
or open like the original Cobra!

·
Registered
83 Posts
That is not true! All the intake manifolds sold over the counter from FORD with the original Cobra Kit had the cobra Script!
Manifolds sold by Shelby has the Shelby script!
Cobra valve Covers from Ford were Closed letter
the ones Shelby sold could be bought in both in closed ,
or open like the original Cobra!
So the SHELBY script intakes could have been purchased OTC directly from Shelby? I thought that on GT350's, the intakes had the COBRA script but the SHELBY script intakes were sold OTC (apparently from Shelby). Hmmm.

·
Registered
578 Posts
So the SHELBY script intakes could have been purchased OTC directly from Shelby? I thought that on GT350's, the intakes had the COBRA script but the SHELBY script intakes were sold OTC (apparently from Shelby). Hmmm.
Only Shelby authorised dealers could sell Shelby cars and Shelby products but any Ford dealer could sell the Cobra kits or the ford muscle parts!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I understand this is a very old thread but searches find old threads as I just did. It is a 260 c.i.d. engine intake.

The intake pictured in the original post was a TIGER lettered casting. Of that I have no doubt. I have studied the low rise intakes since 1986 when I saw my first COBRA lettered one (which I bought and owned until about 2015). The May 1965 Shelby American (SA) parts book indicates that Buddy Barksdale’s company did the casting. Two versions were released that I know of, 1) for 1962-63 engines were crankcase ventilation through timing cover and the rear of the intake manifold and 2) for 1964 onward engines with ventilation moved to rocker arm covers. The C4SA9421 cast in engineering number for the raw casting is an artifact left over from the COBRA lettered version made prior to the TIGER model casting.

In a rather brief time span there were several different raw castings. Evidence suggests that every change in the wooden master for the top front of the casting was one way, i.e. a version of casting made, then another, and then another through all the versions without backing up to recreate earlier versions. The order I have documented them to have been in was with a raised Holman-Moody bird shaped logo on the top front runner, a large raised rectangular pad or boss on the top front runner which was milled flat across its top, a large raised COBRA letter casting, a large raised TIGER lettered casting, and a casting with a raised machined top elongated oval. These had a few different ways they were machined. Versions that I know about include:

Original Version Casting
Holman-Moody (H-M) with bird logo HM9424-1. Lee Holman is said to have stated that something in aluminum with a cast in Ford Motor Company style engineering number was desired for the 260 c.i.d. engine powered Ford Falcons they prepared for racing, mostly in Europe. (Note: SA used a few in new XHP-260 / HP260 powered Cobras but the milled off most of the bird logo. SA registered these defaced intakes with the racing clubs on 11/30/62 under number XEO-113.)

Second Version Casting
Raised long rectangular pad (a.k.a. boss) HM9424-1.

Third Version Casting
COBRA lettered castings had two numbers, the original design designation HM9424-1 plus a new Shelby American number C4SA9421 (C = 1960s decade, 4 = intended for first use in the 1964 model year, SA = Shelby American). As 1962 ended and 1963 began Cobra production and optional parts had very custom “part” numbers that meant nothing without a factory parts list in your hand, i.e. the part number alone gave one no idea what kind of part it was, what model year the introduction was planned for, or what line of vehicle the part went to. For a brief period in 1963 all the 1962 numbers and any newly created parts got engineering and or part numbers in the Ford style with C4SA prefixes. As soon SA started working with all the subsequent models of cars (Cooper-Monaco King Cobras, Tigers, and so on) the C4SA prefix system was dropped. From then on the prefixes and group numbers gave some description. S1CS- meant Cobra street piece, S1CR- meant Cobra race, S1CK- meant a kit of Cobra parts, T1TS- was a street Tiger something, S2CS- meant 427 Cobra street, S2CR- was a 427 Cobra race part, and on with other prefixes for Coopers, Mustangs, and GT40s. Anyway, in the parts book the C4SA9421 number was changed to S1CS 9421 but the C4SA9421 lettering stayed on the castings.

Fourth Version Casting
TIGER lettered casting dropped the Holman-Moody engineering number but still carried the SA C4SA9421 identification.

Fifth (and final known) Casting
Raised elongated oval pad with milled top surface still carried the SA C4SA9421 identification.

All of these were based on one of the versions of cast iron Ford prototype 4V designs for 260 c.i.d. engines from the 1961-62 time frame. Ford did not release 260 engines to the public until announced as available for order February 17, 1962 as part of the 1962½ Fairlane Sport Coupe option package. There was not just one cast iron prototype intake manifold but only one became the pattern H-M based the aluminum intake manifolds on.

Lee Holman has been quoted as saying that only about one hundred (100) low rise aluminum intake manifolds were ever cast and that most ended up going into marine engines. What I do not know did he mean all versions or just the ones with Holman-Moody bird logo. Demand for an intake functional design obsolete automotive wise before it got started in was just not there. I have seen maybe two dozen low rise aluminum intakes over the years. A few still had the H-M bird logo, the small number of COBRA lettered ones, the two TIGER lettered ones, and a couple of parts with large raised pad were the only intact intakes I have come across. All the others had whatever was cast into the top front runner milled off by somebody.

One detail has kept these intakes from being very desirable since late 1962 came during the 1963 model year in the form of 289 c.i.d. engines. More specifically the first week of March 1963 the High Performance 289 (HP289) went into production with a cast iron 4V intake manifold. Even if you did not have a HP289 powered car you could order a 4V induction kit through your local Ford dealer to put on your more common 289. The low rise intakes dating back to development in 1961-62 were now functionally obsolete for anything 289 powered.

New COBRA and TIGER intake manifolds were for sale as late as at least May 31, 1965 by SA but the parts book did not mention that they had been designed 260 c.i.d. engines with related items like carburetors and camshafts of 1961-62 performance thinking technology in the design scope.

New Cobra buyers could order the COBRA letter version as a regulator production option until about August 1964 and perhaps longer. The replacement was the first in a series of COBRA lettered “high rise” aluminum intakes that went into production during very late 1964. The high rise model was designed with 289 c.i.d. engines and all the racing experience and options Shelby had developed for Cobras racing around the world in mind. The low rise intake based on 1961-62 technology for a 260 c.i.d. engine was not a good choice for any 289 c.i.d. engine in racing. I am acquainted with the original owner of a 1964 Cobra that he bought new and still has. The man custom ordered the car with the aluminum intake. He purchased the car to road race and did so. He tells me that the low rise Cobra 4V intake was horrible. He very specifically told me that any 4V intake designed with a 289 c.i.d. engine in mind performed much better in his racing activities.

For the most part, unless you are one that happens to have a Cobra that was ordered new with one of the low rise intakes and that car is very original or being returned to original specifications, there is almost zero market for one unless it is COBRA or TIGER lettered and in a condition ready to install on show car. Being intact and great condition still does not mean easy to find a new home for. I just two weeks ago shipped off an excellent near mint condition COBRA lettered intake for less than I had in it. I tried on an off for years to find it a new home. It was sold to the owner of an early Cobra that still has its original 260 engine, an extremely rare situation today.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts