Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally after 9 years my '66 Comet Capri (2 dr HT) is ready for action and today I drove it in the back alley a bit to make sure the basics work (IE go ahead, backup, stop etc.). After I was done I noticed the rubber bumper/bushing thing shown in the following pictures on the ground where I'd drove and I don't know what it is.. I'm thinking I removed it way back when I was taking the car apart and set it on the frame under the car somewhere and it fell onto the ground when I drove it? Does anyone know what it is?. Don't know if the following info helps to identify the part but the Comet was originally a 289 three speed column shift, 8" rear end. It was stripped pretty much bare and reassembled with mostly new/aftermarket /performance stuff. It's now a street/ strip 289 whizzed up some with a mid 80's c4, mini-spooled 3.80 8" read end (I hope I don't regret the 8" part). Anyways thanks in advance for any and all responses...

·
Registered
634 Posts
Steering column seal next to the floor maybe.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could it be part of the output shaft seal on the ole 3 speed?
Bingo!! My shop manual confirms that's it. Thanks guys...once again FM folks come through!!

Now all I need is a wheel alignment and in theory it's ready to race (with some tuning). But with all the changes I'll be amazed if it gets to the other end of the track under any amount of power without something falling off...I'll be one nervous puppy for the first few runs...

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Bingo!! My shop manual confirms that's it. Thanks guys...once again FM folks come through!!

Now all I need is a wheel alignment and in theory it's ready to race (with some tuning). But with all the changes I'll be amazed if it gets to the other end of the track under any amount of power without something falling off...I'll be one nervous puppy for the first few runs...
I'd take it really easy on the first pass or two. I know it's going to be hard keeping your foot out of it, especially with people looking on wanting to see a show, but it's not worth wreaking the car or hurting yourself trying to impress the crowd you'll never see again. Sounds lame I know, but just a word of advice to a fellow car lover.

Have fun and let's see some photos of the car.

John

·
Registered
634 Posts
Looks a lot like the seal that on a lot of trucks and some older cars that have the fuel fill pipe though the fender ,cab ect. I don't see any metal around it like a transmission output shaft housing.:)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I'd take it really easy on the first pass or two. I know it's going to be hard keeping your foot out of it, especially with people looking on wanting to see a show, but it's not worth wreaking the car or hurting yourself trying to impress the crowd you'll never see again. Sounds lame I know, but just a word of advice to a fellow car lover.

Have fun and let's see some photos of the car.

John
Well I made 14 passes last weekend and I was "unable" to keep my foot out it ... I had good intentions till the first launch, then any common sense disappeared LOL. Anyways nothing fell off and he best run was [email protected] 97 MPH but there's room for more as it misfires starting at 5000 RPM (it should pull to 6500 with the setup I have). I've ditched the stock dist (with Crane XR-i points replacement module) and just this morning got an MSD distributor so hopefully that'll cure the the misfiring.

Here's a video my niece took:

Glen test and tuning 1966 comet - YouTube

And here's a pic one of the track photographers took:

0793-20-12-3.jpg photo - NITROIMAGE photos at pbase.com

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I got one pass in today (before the rain cancelled the day) with the new MSD distributor installed and it went [email protected] so the new dist fixed the missing thing...and it gained just over half a second...I'm excited as 13's and over 100 are in sight!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts