Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there.
I know there has been a lot of expensive mistakes around. Why not share the 'horrorstories', so we don't try to do the same thing?

Here's mine:

Newly rebuildt car. I mean the works; done all the rust, dents, buckles, new paint, new bearings all over, new brakes all over, new bushings, expensive interior and dashboard. Luckily the engine was still V6. (The V8 was under construction together with the driveline) After road tested it for two days, the first snow came along. And we all know how great it is to go sideways when under control. And it was fun for a while. But as you all imagine by now, this didn't last. I got carried away, but awakened pretty fast seeing that car heading my way. So the question was very simple: Hit the car or hit the rocks. I hit the rocks. HARD!!. And as that wasn't enough, it cought fire. Ever tried to stop a carfire with snow?? Don't bother. To top the story, I was not insured (that's why I didn't have any licence plates) so it was big losses involved.

Ohhh. Did I mention the fine I got?? BIG!!

This was also my most embarrassing episode. It happened 8 years ago, but people still remind me of it.

The morale of the story: Use seat belts!!!
And then thank your lucky star the only thing you lost was money. (And pride)

Doc

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Wow Doc. I thought wasteing $300 bucks on an oil pan that sucked was bad, or thrwoing $300 bucks at hooker longtubes for my car that I did not like was bad. I have also bought used 4:11 ($100) gears that after $800 found out the pinion was bent. I also goofed up a pair of EDC-E FE heads ( very rare ) buy porting them into the water jackets, this cost $800. I have more but thinking about them is makeing me sick all of a sudden.

To my wife the first mistake was letting me waste money buying the car.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Well, my dad's was buying a 68 SS 396 Chevelle w/375 horse option. Couldn't go 75 miles w/o making a valve spring go "sproing"! 'Course, if ya asked him, he'd mumble something about me..
Mine has to be my first wife...Oh, we were talking about CARS weren't we??

·
Registered
672 Posts
The most expensive mistake I have made, was when I was showing off my stereo system in my truck. I turned the bass up too much, and the front window seal blew out. I also ended up blowing 2 subs and the front speakers. lol

The most embarrassing mistake. I was driving my truck in the desert with some buddies, and I saw a little dirt hill. I floored the pedal and hit the hill hard. I got the truck airborn, and when it landed I broke the two shocks on the right front tire. lol It sucked because I had to call my mom and tell her what I did in front of all my friends.

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
Lets see.... to go along with the stereo thing, in my dodge shadow I had, turned my stereo up a bit too loud and put a nice big crack along the top of the windshield. I managed to get overconfident in the rain with the same dodge shadow, and hit a curb at 50, that kinda sucked. How about stupid as recent as this weekend, went on a road trip, ended up driving in the snow (im a bay area guy, no snow around here) anyways, after stopping I left the ebrake on a little bit, lets just say I managed to slide alot before I noticed. Also I'd just like to point out, accidently shorting a battery isnt a good thing. I've done too many stupid things to list, but at least I'm getting less stupid by the day.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
"A smart man learns from his mistakes, a wise man learns from the mistakes of others."

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aha... Jimmy66 got my point exactly. 'Why reinvent the wheel, when it's already been done' kind of thing.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Id have to say that my most expensive car related mistake was when I walked off my job with Chrysler Corp. in Kokomo Indiana back in 1979. I was on the case line. Pulling aluminum cases out of the molds for about $8.25 per hour. Now that same job pays over $20.00 per hour. I would be six years from retirement today. I was just a punk kid with nothing but partying on my mind at the time.
My most embarising mistake was saying "I do" eighteen years ago and still being with the same beautiful and intelligent woman after all these years. It seems that is not someting that stays with us in todays society. (not putting anybody down here) to each his own, at least you guy's trade yours in on a Ford.
....Bob

·
Registered
8 Posts
My dad and I were getting some dirt, and I was loading it with a bobcat....well..I wasnt to experienced with...I went to tip the bucket down to dump dirt...yeah...the lift came down on the side of my dodge pickup..lucky for me the truck was a piece of #@&^t. Bent the bed down...Real proud moment for me...lol..

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Most embaressing or most expensive. Hmmm?
1981, during a Can-Am Race in edmonton, Alta while sitting in the pits decided to polish my truck. Working hard on it and I hear a voice behind me saying," If you spent as much time working on your car as you do that you might make it" I started to rant
some choice words about a persons orifices as I turned around and came face to face with Paul Newman. At first I didn't recognize him as he was in his team swag then it hit me and I sputtered pretty good. he laughed finally after I appologized and left. An hour later, I ended up having lunch with him and Tio.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well, this one time back when I was 16, my sister's car needed an oil change. I was in a big hurry, so I got the oil and filter at the store and started working as fast as possible. After I got the last quart in, I fired it up and realized the oil press. light still hadn't gone off. I shut the motor off only to find I didn't put on the new filter and all of the new oil was all over the driveway.
I still hear jokes about that. And that car lasted another 50k miles, too.

·
Registered
521 Posts
i bougth my car... boy was that a mistake

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
My biggest mistake and most embarrassing moment was building my Pinto wagon and continuing to sink money into a car that is only worth it's weight in steel. Wish I would have started with a real car instead. Pinto wagons light my ass. I realized it wasn't light after building it and running 12s. Then I continued to sink money into it. Never again! I got me a real car I'm building now and I feel good

·
Registered
190 Posts
Most embarrassing car-moment:
I decided to take some video with my new digital camera of me doing a burnout. We found an empty parking lot and I backed up to about 2 ft from the curb on one end with my buddy about halfway down with the camera. The adrenaline was pumping and I was a little nervous as this was the first time with a burnout attempt in this vehicle. I had the brake to the floor, gave her some gas, had the turbo spooled up and let her rip. Did I mention that I had still had it in Reverse from when I backed it up to the curb?

After laying a 2-foot patch of rubber the wrong way and soiling my shorts, I slammed on the brakes just barely saving me from careening into the forest that was beyond the parking lot's curb.

It doesn't look like much on the video, but I remember the shock that went through my body when I started being pushed towards the steering wheel rather than back into my seat. It was something else. I was really embarrassed afterwards, but the only thing that was hurt was my pride.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Greg

Your story was great. I can imagine the "Oooohhh, SH*******T" feeling you must have felt.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Yea who knows, if you could have got it started, it might have cleared the truck.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
This may not be embarassing or costly mistake but since Gregg was shareing his Lincoln into his pickup story, it brings to mind an old carny story I have.

I was pulling a kid ride trailer filled with 3 seperate kiddy rides with this old 1949 International with a gas burning V-8 that was so big it would not even fit in one of Gregg`s Galaxy`s topped with a 1V carb (whats up with that). I was 19 and did not even know what a log book was pulling 50,000 lbs of iron, I was haveing fun. Anyway I was coming up the Baker Oregon and was going to stop at the rest area at the top of a long climbing slop, I had the peddle to the medal going about 60 up the slope, started to head off on to the off ramp still going up hill, let off the throttle as I peaked the slope and went to apply the brakes and there was nothing there, now I am going down hill into the rest area going about 50 headed straight for the parking lot which fortuneatly only had a few cars and strategicly parked out of the way, I had the brake pedal to the floor and nothing was happening, I grabbed the horn and it went toot and slowly started to fade away like it was running out of air, grabbed to trailor brakes and still nothing, all the while passing parked cars with people looking at me like a crazy carny who cant drive hauling ass thru the parking lot with the horn going and slowly fadeing away. Finally on my way onto the on ramp to the freeway the damn thing got low enough on air that the trailer brakes locked up automatticly and came to a screaching hault, but not after leaving about 100 feet of black rubber on the road from the locked brakes. SO my foreman runs up out of breath from chaseing me down and I was so white from being scared he said I looked Albino, eyes so wide you could have served a 3 course meal on them, my hand still on the horn that was not working, thank my lucky stars no one got hurt. I count my blessings when ever I remember that. I have never been so freaked in my life and not since.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Here's a dumb one I did on my first smallblock buildup while adjusting the valves before my first startup.I had read to spin the pushrod in my fingers while tightening the nut on the rocker.It said tighten it until the pushrod stops turning in your fingers. I kept tightening and tightening and I could still turn the pushrod, finally it stopped turning.When I was done I took a look at the lifter and realized it was completly flattened out inside and I had totally destroyed it.I still chuckle to myself when I see directions on how to set lash and it says to do it this way.
Mash the lifter and then add a half turn .LOL

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: frdnut on 3/23/02 11:33am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Adjusted the valves on my uncles Chevy van. Couldnt get the damn thing to start after that. Took several days to figure out why. I got them a wee bit too tight. Dumb SBC's

Forgot one of the bolts on my timing cover when I was taking it off. Had to have the flange I broke off welded back on.

Then their was the time I slid my car into the pole. I swear it jumped out in front of me

Just lots of little stuff

1 - 20 of 36 Posts