Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying a comp cam roller cam with 351w firing order. 608/609 lift. I have a 289 hi-po stock.My cam in it now is like stock 448 lift i think. I was thinking at least 50hp. It will do good from 2000-6000.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I would think that that cam is a little much for an otherwise stock 289, correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
What have you done to your motor, and what are the rest of the specs on the cam????

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Assuming that your cam has the duration to match the lift numbers it is a lot of cam for a 289. I don't know what you are planning so I'm not going to say its too much. Just for comparison, I run a [email protected] with .560 lift solid cam in my 289. It won't idle at all below 950 rpms. I had to drill the throttle plates and open up the secondary air screw. I have the idle adjustment tweaked to a fine edge. If I change my timing 2 degrees it quits and I have to reset my idle air and fuel. I can't run a PCV valve at all. My power range was supposedly going to be 3500 to 6500 but through experience I have found it to be more like 4900 to 7500 rpms. On a 351W my cam might be a 6500 rpm cam but not on a 289. I had to fly cut my pistons and then rebalance the motor so I would assume you would have to do the same with over 6 hundred lift.

My setup runs pretty good with 4.62 gears and an 8 inch converter that will flash up to around 4500 but its not quite enough. I really need 5000 stall and 4.88 gears for the motor to run where it wants to. I don't want to wind it up to 7500. I decided to dial the cam timing some to pull its range back down to 7000.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok the talked to comp cam tech people. I asked the same dang thing. I told him that lift seems realy high.. He said no not if you want good power from 2000-6000. And i said you sure it will be streetable and he said yes. And he said i will need to check piston to value clearance and put smaller push rods on. What if it hits the vales what would i do to make it work, cut the pistion or what? I am going to have someone put it in at SpeedTek Perforance. What i have is all stock motor but for a DUI distribler. It has a holley 4130 600cfm carb, holley commander intake. 10.5 compression, 3.80 gears, and a T5. The comp cam is a 608/609 lift with <U>238</U>. In the future i am going to put in AFR heads.

I have a 1967 Ford Mustang with a 289hi-po motor stock, T5 trans, Jba shortie headers,
3.80 gears, about 360hp.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: masterd on 3/10/02 10:11pm ]</font>

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
The shorter pushrods are needed because the roller cam has a larger base circle on the lobes. Are you sure this cam will retrofit into a non-roller block? I had to have my pistons fly cut(enlarge and deepen the eyebrows) for my .560 so you will have to have yours cut too I'm sure. After cutting the pistons the motor should be rebalanced which means taking the crank out and disassembling the rods and pistons.

The other thing I can think of is that you need to tell the shop you are going to the AFR heads later and what valve size those heads will have. Otherwise, if they cut them now for the hipo heads its possible that the AFR's won't fit later because they have much bigger valves. It would actually be better to put the cam and heads in together so you can clay your valve impressions and make sure the flycuts are right.

BTW, my cam is a Comp cam. I would just say that you should verify everything the Comp techs tell you based on my own experiences with some of them. I'm happy with my cam except for the rpm range.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok i called them up again a suggested a comp cam 288R roller cam. Lift 586/586 <U>50/244</U>. Rpm rang 2000-6500. Works with a non roller block also. Anybody know what kind of horsepower gains i sould get? The org. cam is a 447 lift and [ mancanacol ] cam, dont know how to spell it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: masterd on 3/15/02 9:28pm ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: masterd on 3/15/02 9:33pm ]</font>

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hottarod is yours a roller cam though. Sound like you have a bad idle problem. What is your cam grind number?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts