Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allmost time to put the back glass back in my 64 Futura. I have a new rubber seal molding for it so what kind of sealer are you guys using ? Are you sealing the molding to the glass before you install it ? Do you seal it to the body as you install it or after it's installed ? Need some instructions here on the correct easy to use sealers and not make a big mess. I thought the silicon stuff would be hard to work with ,is there some thing better?
When i put the back glass in my 56 Fairlane i never used any sealer and it's never leaked after sitting out all the time for 12 years now. But i'm not sure if i should do the Falcon that way.

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
I never used any and my rear glass leaked. I got a tube of pro-form eurothane and cut the hole super small in the applicator. I masked off all around the seal and while spreading the seal with a pick. Injected the goo between glass and seal.

I don't think any sealer was used originally. It would be easy to make a hell of a mess if your not careful.

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
The sealer you can get at a good Napa or your local auto paint store, it's called Window bedding glazing compound.

NAPA AUTO PARTS

It's going to be messy but if you do not want leaks then you do need this.

One tube minimum per window to be used.

You run a 1/8" to 3/16" bead in the Inner channel that the glass fits in, and you run a good 1/4" all around the metal channel that you put the rubber into. All of the low spots and wherever you are going to lay in the window.

Then rope it in and clean it up with WD-40 or a good quality automotive glass cleaner.

·
Registered
698 Posts
FE,
I did some research on how to put a window in and talked to a guy who did it.

My front window and my driver rear cargo window (wagon glass) leak. The front leaks about dead center. and the cargo window leaks about mid bend where it starts to wrap inward.

I um salvaged 2 windows from a wagon at a junk yard for the cargo windows and they are in better shape than mine. I got new rubber for them. So eventually I will put them in. It appears they didnt remove the rubber when they painted the car (left the windows in the back of the car).
My question is my leaks seem to be between the body of the car and the rubber. To use that window seal stuff and to rope it in would be lets say a messy messy adventure, and with tan headliner that is that fuzzy stuff. You can see what I am getting at. How on gods earth do you put that stuff in and rope it in without making a mess of your headliner and anything else it touches. And how do you stop the leaks.. Wll thats really it.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FE,
I did some research on how to put a window in and talked to a guy who did it.

My front window and my driver rear cargo window (wagon glass) leak. The front leaks about dead center. and the cargo window leaks about mid bend where it starts to wrap inward.

I um salvaged 2 windows from a wagon at a junk yard for the cargo windows and they are in better shape than mine. I got new rubber for them. So eventually I will put them in. It appears they didnt remove the rubber when they painted the car (left the windows in the back of the car).
My question is my leaks seem to be between the body of the car and the rubber. To use that window seal stuff and to rope it in would be lets say a messy messy adventure, and with tan headliner that is that fuzzy stuff. You can see what I am getting at. How on gods earth do you put that stuff in and rope it in without making a mess of your headliner and anything else it touches. And how do you stop the leaks.. Wll thats really it.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I had the same thoughts about a mess i could end up with using the cord to get it in place. Like i said I did the 56 ford passenger with out any sealer. It's been sitting out year round for 12 years and no leaks.
When i removed the back glass on the falcon there was no sealer between the molding and the body,but there was a small amount 'very little' in the groove the glass sits in. The back glass has only been removed one time to replace the head liner about 25 years ago. It has the original rubber molding that came with it when I bought the car in 1964.
I am thinking about using the sealer from N A P A in the glass groove ,then after installing it go around between the body and molding. Or I could just drive one half of a mile down to one of my friends body shop and ask him to do it. But then I would feel like I gave up. L.O.L.:)

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
You boys listen up.

I've done this for quite some time now. My pappa has been doing it since 1960, I've been learning from him since I was abotu 5...

Use that sealer, it WILL MAKE A MESS so use gloves that way each move you make you can put on fresh hands to keep the mess to a minimum.

Seal the GLASS AND seal the Rubber! Or Rhino line your floor and forget about the leaks.... Your choice, :)

The 56 window glass and channel are shaped differently and are easier to seal and the glass is thicker...

So please simply keep a bottle of PPG DX-330 grease and wax remover handy or some WD-40, or simply a good grade spray can Automotive glass cleaner, they all will clean up the Sealer.

Now for roping it in, the mess is far smaller than you think and the rope need only be 3/16" in diameter, any thicker makes it harder and messier. You also need a Pig **** hook to help the corners along, then once the window is roped in, apply pressure to it from the outside for about 4 or 5 minutes to help flatten out the sealer and fill all the gaps and fully seat the glass.

Then it's clean up time with a nice leak free window. You'll likely need 3 tubes. 1.5 for front and 1.5 for rear.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You boys listen up.

I've done this for quite some time now. My pappa has been doing it since 1960, I've been learning from him since I was abotu 5...

Use that sealer, it WILL MAKE A MESS so use gloves that way each move you make you can put on fresh hands to keep the mess to a minimum.

Seal the GLASS AND seal the Rubber! Or Rhino line your floor and forget about the leaks.... Your choice, :)

The 56 window glass and channel are shaped differently and are easier to seal and the glass is thicker...

So please simply keep a bottle of PPG DX-330 grease and wax remover handy or some WD-40, or simply a good grade spray can Automotive glass cleaner, they all will clean up the Sealer.

Now for roping it in, the mess is far smaller than you think and the rope need only be 3/16" in diameter, any thicker makes it harder and messier. You also need a Pig **** hook to help the corners along, then once the window is roped in, apply pressure to it from the outside for about 4 or 5 minutes to help flatten out the sealer and fill all the gaps and fully seat the glass.

Then it's clean up time with a nice leak free window. You'll likely need 3 tubes. 1.5 for front and 1.5 for rear.
I believe you FE, I could see the difference in the 56 compared to the 64,that's the reason I was asking. Thanks for the advice and help.

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
I installed the rear window on my 64 Fairlane with sealant, It was a huge mess. My G.F at the time was a little mad, we both had sealant on us. Yes we were just putting the window in. LOL

Anyway, I didn't install the front. I paid a glass company the $50 to $75 to do it. Well worth it. And the front didn't leak, the rear did and still does.

Just my .02

Jet

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I prefer to pay for the job also!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:tup:That's what I am going to do now. I spoke to a couple of shops and they both said "since it's the old original glass if it breaks they are not responsible" . I understand that, so I just need to find some body that I think will be careful and not ding it on purpose so it breaks when i'm not looking. Be nice to have new glass but it's all original accept the front wind shield , four so far on it. Thanks to all for the advice.:)

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
There is absolutely ZERO way that installing the glass that it can break. As a beginner I installed MANY of these before I even was told HOW and never did one even come close to breaking.

Tell that shop I said the same thing, and ask what they think is the likely percentage of the glass breaking on installation.

If they say anything more than 10%, then take it somewhere else as they're totally clueless as to how to do it.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There is absolutely ZERO way that installing the glass that it can break. As a beginner I installed MANY of these before I even was told HOW and never did one even come close to breaking.

Tell that shop I said the same thing, and ask what they think is the likely percentage of the glass breaking on installation.

If they say anything more than 10%, then take it somewhere else as they're totally clueless as to how to do it.
Yeah,I believe you,I'l just check around. I don't see how they can do it wrong if they know how. I installed the back glass in my 56 fairlane by myself and they are not real easy with the ends wrapping back like they do, a lot more than a falcon. It was an old glass too,I did have a new windshield put in later by a shop.
I figure they just wanted to sell me a new back glass so the can make more.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts