Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m planning to get a vehicle to tow my car to the track this coming year, as well as serve as an all-around hauling vehicle. It is the biggest end of a 200-mile round trip to any of the tracks in my part of the country. At the most I will probably race 6-8 times during the year. I’ve got good highways and rolling terrain with a couple of long grades to negotiate. Should I get a 150 or 250 series? Will a 150 series work if it’s got the towing package? What is the smallest engine you’d consider using for towing? Any other major considerations? I would appreciate hearing from any of you who care to share your thoughts, and I’m also curious about what everybody else runs. Strengths and/or weaknesses of your own towing package? Thanks!

Scott

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
It depends on what kind of weight your pulling or hauling?

I think you could get by with a 1/2 ton truck for towing a single car or hauling lighter loads?

I use a 95 F-350 Super-Cab dually with a 460 for my towing-hauling needs.

I like real heavy rated trucks because they are able to tow and haul almost any load.

Its your choice to make,but I like to tow as safe as possible.

1995 F-350 XLT SuperCab DRW 460 EFI 2x4~~1991 Mustang GT 5.0 5-speed

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DynoTom on 12/29/01 6:35am ]</font>

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tom. My Fairmont weighs around 3100 lbs and I've got a 14 ft open trailer, with electric brakes. While I insist on having something safe and stable, I also have to balance the amount of towing use/cost against regular hauling/utilitarian use. I'm sure my decision will come down to 150 vs 250. Since I've never owned a 150, I just don't want to short-change myself by getting one if it's really not up to the task of pulling a trailer. That's why I posted the question. I hope to still get more views/opinions. Thanks again! SP

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
I agree with you,Im not saying buy a F-350 to tow your car its just in my case I wanted room for expansion in towing.

I have access to a 45 foot ramp trailer to use anytime I need too.

It can hold 3 cars or trucks on it and I figured if I ever do find a need to borrow it in the future it would have to be behind a pretty heavy duty truck.

It also haul alot of stuff in the bed for household projects and landscaping work.

I had 2 yards of wet topsoil in my truck a couple times and it was quite a heavy load to carry,but it had no problems doing it.

I think a 1/2 ton would be fine for you if you dont plan on doing alot of other stuff with the truck in the future.

·
Registered
749 Posts
One thing to consider is how many people you need to haul with this rig when used as a tow rig or as second vehicle. In my case I was hauling 2-6 people in various regular usage. I went with a full size van. I found an 86 E150 ford conversion van 5 yrs ago and went thru the drivetrain. Its a 351 4V HO/C6
with a 9 inch rear and 3.00-1 gears. It pulls the 2900# stang on a 16 ft trailer no prob. I thought the 3.00 gear would be a prob but really hasnt been. We can haul EVERYTHING inside the van we take to track which is nice in case bad weather moves in. IF you think that an inclosed trailer may be in the future I would go 1 ton

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Before I had a full size truck, (94 F150), I used to borrow friends trucks to pull a rented trailer to tow my race vehicles to the track. Now since I purchased my truck, (quite a few years back), I wouldn't of wanted any BIGGER of a truck then I have.
It's only a half ton, with a 4.9 6 cyl, and E40D 4 spd auto, but it pulls like the dickens and gets good mileage to boot! Whatever I haul, (and that ain't alot), engines/transmissions, from time to time), I don't overload it, and probably never will.
I put the lightning handling package on it, and dropped it, (with a few other subtle stylin' dealies), so it's not as boring as a stock truck, but still it's my driver/tow vehicle.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I used a F150 for years to pull my Mustang, 3100#, on an open trailer. It had factory RV package HD cooling sys.,3.55 trac loc rear,F250 shocks, springs,huge stabilizers F & R, large mirrors, 302 with 5 spd. I did pull this same setup with an 87 2.9 LWB Ranger 5 spd. I dont reccomend that tho. As in the prev. post I had to adjust tongue weight as per the load in it. (I added a 3ft wide x 3 ft high tool box & as long as the car was loaded to compensate for it you could run as fast as you wanted, but one night there was a huge dip in road,{ due to heat here in Miss., this happens } and it got to swawing crossing into median & across 2 lanes to shoulder back & forth 4 times. I am thankful for my round track experience. I now have a 1 ton 4 dr Chev dually & can load any way I want {or have to} with no handling problems at all. It costs 1 dollar a day more to run this truck than the F150. It is an 81 model as with my health I cannot afford long term committments payment wise. The saftey factor when you need it is worth the bigger truck. Thats my opinion.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I use a 99 F150 extended cab to haul my 3100 lb Fairmont on an open trailer. The truck is nise to drive every day and the 4.6 has lots of power to haul the trailer. Loading your car right with a weight distributing hitch and sway controls will make it a safe ride too. Make sure to keep your brakes up to snuff.
Happy towing

·
Registered
44 Posts
I use a '93 f150 flareside with a 351 e4od trans and 3:55 posi rear. The truck has the tow package, under drive pulleys, super chip, 3" exhust,and K&N filter. I also put Lightning wheels on it. I pull a 16' open trailer with a '71 Mach 1 on it. I wish I still had more power.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all of you who have responded to my question so far. My gut feeling is that I'll try to find a 250 series, due to their greater capacity for towing, i.e., heavier suspension, weight and overall construction. Extended cab would be great for longer wheelbase/stability. It will probably be late 80s-early 90s (due to cost considerations), with reasonable mileage and a minimum of 5.8L. Thanks again! Scott

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I tow a 28ft. enclosed w/2900lb. car inside. I've got a 97 powerstroke diesel with the 4 speed auto. Its an extended cab with the long bed. The longer wheelbase tows with more stability. I would look for something with the longer wheelbase.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Yep, a 8 foot bed on a fullsize is great for towing, clubcabs and crewcabs are even better. I tow with a old 4x4 with 33s and a shortbox. It gets real squirrelly at times. Just kinda watch what you're doing.

I'd go with a 3/4 ton myself if I towed most every weekend. Otherwise a 1/2 ton should do you. Depends on a lot of factors though.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
You wanna see funny, you should see what the guy who purchased my 69 SS 396 tows IT to the track with........a little mazda pickup, using an open fairly heavy metal topped trailer. I WILL NOT FOLLOW THAT SETUP DOWN THE ROAD. Scary. Can't believe he hasn't rolled/trashed the whole gig yet.
The car/trailer has to outweigh the truck by double.........

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well I finally jumped in with both feet and got an 02 F-250 XLT 4X4 with the 5.4 motor to replace the 86 F-150 with 5.0. Man wish I woulda gotten an F-250 years ago! I just hate to part with the old truck,hehe

1 - 15 of 15 Posts