Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WHAT MUFFLERS SHOULD I GET? 12-9-06 i now have a sound clip w/ open headers what do you guys think?

all right guys getting ready to finish up my truck with the exhaust. i know you guys are probably gonna tell me 3" is to big but that is what i want. it will be duals out both sides in front of the rear tires. so it is gonna be a short exhaust so that will already give it a bark. i want it loud!!!!!!! thats me! i don t want to run convertors but gotta so if i have to put a pipe through them i am gonna. i will also be running a h-pipe, but my questions is what kinda mufflers. everybody tells me flowmaster but i think it is rediculous to spend that much money for a muffler! i was think about dynomax bullets (glasspack) i like glass packs. a guy at work told about imco mufflers anyone ever heard of them? i did a web search and found them and kinda like the extreme series. and for $50 a piece ain t bad. but what are your guys thoughts? opinions on the whole exhaust system are wanted here, from the headers back! what kind of cats? hpipe or x pipe? mufflers? oh it is a '84 ford f-150 302 short bed not stock!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: greasemonkey85 on 12/9/06 10:01am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: greasemonkey85 on 12/10/06 10:28am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
WHAT MUFFLERS SHOULD I GET? 12-9-06 i now have a sound clip w/ open headers what do you guys think?

www.spintechmufflers.com

They are the bomb. Much deeper than a tinty flowmaster. You will turn heads with these mufflers. Check out the sound clips.

·
Registered
712 Posts

If you want the Flowmasters, Jegs has some called Force Pro-Series
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/category_10001_10002_73657_-1_10265
They are supposed to sound like Flows, but I've never heard them in person. Cherrybomb or other glasspacks are good, and give a mellow tone to anything. I am about to take mine off because I can't hear my cam hit.
H-pipe sounds mellow, but the X-pipe sounds raspy; I personally prefer the X-pipe sound.
It may be hard to find OE rep. cats in 3", so you may have to go with high flow cats.

·
Registered
712 Posts

Oh yeah, I'm going to install headers, 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust, x-pipe, and spintechs on mine.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts

You want it loud? Just a pair of high flow cats and no mufflers. It'll be fairly quiet at idle and bark nicely when you get on it. X pipe would sound cool in a configuration like that, and probably be worth a few ponies at the upper end of the RPM range.

Don't blame me when you get a noise ticket though!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts

That's kind of the same route I went. It's sound's alright at idle, im not too crazy about it, on the freeway it is surprisingly not very loud, but at WOT it sounds wicked, way better than the flowmaster IMO.

·
Registered
513 Posts

On my 86 F150 302 EFI I have the stock manifolds, front cat gutted, 2nd cat removed, but added a 3" hi-flow Magnaflow cat and run 3" pipe back to a Y-pipe, then dual mandral bent 3" tailpipes. Its not too loud at idle, actually fairly mellow, but when the go pedal is mashed, its get good and loud.

My 82 F100 with a 351c 4v has Hooker Super Comp Headers into a 3" Dr. Gas X-pipe into 3" Borla XR-1 Sportsman Race mufflers and then out the back through 3" dual mandral bent tailpipes.

Here is a video of the sound of the F100.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=CgRHDO_0Az8

·
Premium Member
1,741 Posts

I personally like the sound of an h pipe more. To me it they sound more raspy. An x pipe will also quiet the car down (that may or may not be what you want with some loud mufflers). I would go with some dynomax biullets, they will be loud. You could also try putting in car chemistry header inserts then just running tailpipes after that.

·
Premium Member
853 Posts

I have Hooker Maxflow mufflers behind an X-pipe. I like the sound and it's not too loud until you get into the gas.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

hey thanks guys! the headers will be hedmans w/3" collectors. i think i am gonna run a h pipe just cause laying under my truck i think it will work the best as far as cats i am just gonna get cheap ones, gut them and then put a piece of exhaust pipe inside. i like the bullets but mikemustang you don t think they are that loud? how long have you been driving it? r they broke in yet? i think i am gonna run a chamber muffler. in my mind y pay $80 bucks for a flowmaster when you can get knok offs for less and they are still life time garunteed! just me! thanks for everything

·
Registered
1,233 Posts

I've only ran them a few times so they will probably get louder I'd assume. But with side exhaust there really aren't many mufflers that will work unless you run a chambered muffler with the inlet and outlet on the same side then run more pipe from the muffler toward the front of the rear tire.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts

Hard to say, man, exhaust sounds are really up to the individual. What sounds cool to me, may sound like ass to another guy.
Here is a vid clip of my {still missing the POS to this day} 1984 F150 w/ a 302.
2-1/4" with glass packs bent by a local shop.
I got it, the original exhaust was gone after the y pipe.
I picked up a set of hedman long tubes, and got a system bent.
I made the decision of putting 4" 26" resonator tips on it, which was a bitchin' loud sound the second you got on it, but forget any thoughts about trying to be sneaky and unnoticed by the neighbors. Even at idle it shook the inside of the house out on the driveway.

http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j167/Eliteman76/?action=view&current=MOV0044984FordF150Exhaustsounds.flv
I would double check if you plan any serious towing or hauling with your truck...unless you have a 460 in the thing, 3" is going to be overkill.
Fun all the same, though.

1992 Explorer
1999 Contour

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: eliteman76 on 12/10/06 6:22am ]</font>

·
Registered
513 Posts

Sounds good. Open headers are always about the best sounding way to go. Too bad the local cops don't think to same way.

But...........Kinda hard on an engine with no water, aren't ya

1 - 14 of 14 Posts