Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after reading gary's thread on getting a laptop i thought this would be a good place to ask folks opinions on what sort of computer i should buy next,didnt want to hijack your thread mate.
the machine im using now i bought nearly 5 years ago and is obviously a lemon by today's standards,20gb,128 ram, etc.

basically i only use this thing to buy car parts ect,checkout fordmuscle daily
,and for emails plus the usual surfing when i have time.
BUT i have a 16 year old son that shares this computor,he watches a heap of stuff on utube etc,plays games so i want a system that can look after both our needs so to speak---any suggestions????

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: steharz on 12/7/06 10:22am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: steharz on 12/7/06 10:25am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: steharz on 1/5/07 3:31am ]</font>

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Read my post in the other thread. An eMachine like mine will easily suit both of your needs..

Jan

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
I think it would also but only from what I've heard. Gateway, HP & Compaq stink IMO. We've had both, only the Gateway was a laptop and who knows, maybe they've improved since '99. I don't really know much about many of them out there now days since we build our own now. Let me take that back on the HP, mine did good but the help desk stinks. They are clueless. I needed to know the name of the sound card so I could try and find new drivers in order to get a game I had to work and they were no help at all. They, like most low priced computers out there have little or no room for expansion either. Like a second or 3rd CD, DVD drive, and different sound & video cards. But if you are one that doesn't do all that kind of stuff a HP would probably be ok.
For gaming I still think a Pentium cpu is the way to go in any of them. There is another out there but can't think of the name but have no personal experience with it either. Celeron & AMD aren't good for gaming or they weren't for my games.

Deb

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
I used to run Flight Simulator on my old AMD 45o and it ran pretty decent for all I know.

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
The compaq has a AMD superon(sp). It was the big pain all around, not just processor or maybe it wasn't the processor's fault but everything else. My husband said he was just reading that the Dual core 2 was the best for gaming and only cost a little more than the highend AMDs. But that would probably be the better deal if building your own.
Part of what makes building your own cheaper also is if you aren't going to keep the old then you can use the cd drives and whatever from it.
I don't do a lot of gaming anymore. Right now I'm playing Guild Wars but it's the first game in a year that I've played. Before that it was Morrowind for a while til I had to reload the computer and just never got back to playing it after reinstalling. Then of course it was The Sims and Sims 2. Build my houses in those and then I was done mostly.

Diablo 2 I actually finished. I rarely finish games anymore before i get bored with them.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
a couple of friends have been saying ,get a pentium 4.i wouldnt know where to start when it comes to building one myself,and dont really want to go down that road anyway,not enough time.
i really might look at buying two this time around,its gottin real old my teenage son screwing around with the computer,bout time we had our own machines,thanks for the replies.
so does a pentuim 4 sound like the go?i really just want something that is fast for myself-email-surfing etc,and my young fella likes the games and movies as ive said,suppose its time to do some shopping

·
Registered
614 Posts
dell all the way, tell them what you want and they will build it for you. Get the accidental damage warranty and you will be set. My dog ate my power supply and they gave me one for free, my hard drive crashed on my laptop and they overnighted one to me for free. Im a customer for life. I have a Compaq desktop and it stinks, but it was for graduating so i cant complain too much. either way good luck

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Opinions only...it is way to hard to tell someone how to spend money on a computer. Most of the time you don't know hate yu really need, until after you try something that your current machine doesn't do well. Thens its too late. Some basic things do come to mind.

For a kind of expensive, but quality machine today; there are somethings to take into consideration.

Yes, get 2. As an adult, you should be able to view anything you want, I'm not so sure I would share a computer with a teen, there are some things I would rather not (officially)know
...but still be able to monitor.

Plus computers that kids use, tend to catch virus, Trojans and all kinds of crap on their computers - like seine net used by a desperate, unlucky fisherman...they screw up your settings,get your computer re-infected 15 minutes after you clean it. Before mine left home, he had his own computer (for school work - yeah, right!), but not in his room. Had in the family room/den.

Pentium 4 - anything above 3ghz is OK, for right now. For the - future its a bit dated for my taste but certainly adequate for any legitimate or gaming use.

As usual for parents, keep what you have for your personal use.

Buy a near-top of the line for gaming use for the youngster. The Duo-core( 3-4 Ghz) Intel's are not that ridiculous in price. You don’t need it, but in a year or 2, it might be worth having.

The biggest thing for games is the video card and computer memory .... whatever you buy ... throw in a 512mb GPU (PCI-E 16 or new rev AGP ) video card (something in the $200 - $300 range (Nvidia chipset) or you can take a chance on a "no-name" brand and get nearly the same specs at about $100) and at least 2 Gb memory and a fast SATA disc (below 7ms/seek search, the lower the number the better), you have the makings of decent gaming PC. The on-board sound cards have really improved over the last few years, to save money, I would recommend using that instead of springing for an add-on card - at least for the first version. The current on-board cards are 5.1 or 7.1 ready...beats stereo by a bunch.

If you catch the sales, you can get a white-box, custom build for about 1K (in the USA), I don't know your currency rates, but from what I see online, you guys actually have better access to high tech parts, sooner - than we do.

PS- If you want to go brand name, and your Kid is in college (some high schools too!), there are a lot of really sweet deals for discount brand name computers that are sold to only students and faculty.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Beoweolf on 12/8/06 10:10pm ]</font>

·
Registered
862 Posts
On 2006-12-08 07:05, Beoweolf wrote:
Plus computers that kids use, tend to catch virus, Trojans and all kinds of crap on their computers - like seine net used by a desperate, unlucky fisherman...they screw up your settings,get your computer re-infected 15 minutes after you clean it. Before mine left home, he had his own computer (for school work - yeah, right!), but not in his room. Had in the family room/den.
Funny, it works the exact opposite around here...

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the input,it was helpful reading your opinions here and on garys thread,
i bought a laptop three days ago and so far i couldnt be happier with it,
got a well optioned,
HP pavilion dv9000,has been like night and day compared to my old machine.
thanks again for the help and i hope everyone here has a great 07...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: steharz on 1/5/07 3:29am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[/quote]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: steharz on 1/5/07 3:27am ]</font>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts